Space Siege - CES 2008 Previews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Chris Taylor is looking to streamline Space Siege into non-existence, according to this new preview from CES at GameSpy:
The developers are working hard to streamline action-RPG gameplay. There's almost no inventory management; everything you destroy or loot falls apart into "scrap." Pressing the "Z" button automatically grabs all the scrap in the room and transfers it to your inventory, so you hardly have to slow down. Returning to a town to sell stuff is almost completely gone. Instead, you can use scrap to upgrade your weapons at special upgrade stations.
IGN says you'll have a robotic companion to keep you company in the lonely depths of space:
Things aren't confined strictly to Seth's abilities, however, as you'll have a robotic companion named Harvey to make things a little easier. He'll attack automatically, can be upgraded, directed during combat, and used to initiate combo attacks. These aren't the type of combos that you'd think would be in something like a fighting game, but cause special effects if you, say, use a specific attack on an enemy that was set on fire by Harvey. We didn't actually get to see any of these elemental types of attacks, but they'll be in the final game when it ships.
...and finally, on to GameSpot:
The demonstration showed off the basic premise of the game, where you'll navigate the interiors of the spaceship, blowing away hundreds of alien opponents in the process. You'll have plenty of weapons at your disposal, as well as skills and abilities. However, the true challenge in Space Siege is figuring out how much you want to turn Walker into less of a human being and more of a cybernetic organism. During the game, you'll be given choices to exchange some of Walker's organic parts for cybernetic parts. These parts may confer powerful bonuses and abilities, but they come at the price of having him become less human. The tradeoff is that the characters in the game will react differently to Walker, especially if he becomes less and less human. There are also very powerful abilities that can only be unlocked if Walker retains his humanity. So where will you draw the line? What choices will you make?
More information.

I can't wait for the movie! Who would they cast for the Robot there?

Wasn't Harvey a movie with Jimmy Stewart?

Yes, but it was a *good* movie.

You mean I have to press a "Z" button to collect Scrap? Why can't I have everything fly towards my invisible backpack just by being in the same room :p

This is really disappointing. I was expecting not to have to push any buttons. And wtf happened to the feature that shovels cheese doodles into my mouth so I don't have to use my hands and can just sit on the couch slackjawed and drooling.

Long live the might Taylor Gaming Revolution.

I thought they were going to make it so you didn't have to push any buttons at all and just sat there and watched the game play itself. Oh that would be a soap opera and not a game I got the 2 things mixed up.

i'm glad to see so many who share my unenthusiasm for chris taylor and gas powered games. heres to hoping they lose their jobs after this one and become garbage men and women (no insult to the profession) only that it'd be fitting for them to handle all of their games that won't end up in peoples collections but in secret burial sites marked on the minimap (also known as landfills)

You mean I have to press a "Z" button to collect Scrap? Why can't I have everything fly towards my invisible backpack just by being in the same room :p

They could provide magnetic upgrades to your cyborg body that do just that... or a vacuum groin attachment on autopilot, to suck in everything as you go. Or maybe we just need the reintroduction of auto-fire buttons like on old Atari joysticks.

Last edited:
What I liked about Space Siege in one of the previews I read recently, was that Mr. Taylor is aming for a much more action oriented title than Dungeon Siege with much more scarce RPG elements. I would have play Space Siege just to see how exactly will this turn out.

I just want to have one button control *everything* without my having to learn anything about the game or world at all ... and never die ... and always win. So maybe in the next game

I thought they were going to make it so you didn't have to push any buttons at all and just sat there and watched the game play itself.

A Screensaver !? :D

Edit: The ONLY thing that reached my interest is this "humanity thing" ...

I think that the standard convention for game designers nowadays is to use a team of monkeys to playtest the game, and if the monkeys can't complete the game in one sitting, it must be too complicated.

I wonder what they're going to blame it on if the game tanks. "The game was too complicated! More dumbing down needed!!!"

i'm glad to see so many who share my unenthusiasm for chris taylor and gas powered games. heres to hoping they lose their jobs after this one and become garbage men and women (no insult to the profession) only that it'd be fitting for them to handle all of their games that won't end up in peoples collections but in secret burial sites marked on the minimap (also known as landfills)

they might find more interest in that. if they were to develop a garbage disposal system that did everything itself that would be something.

As for games, I hope they distribute it wirlessly so I don't have to pick up a disk and put it into my drive. I have the autoplay already set on anything I load like that so it will setup automatically and then start to run. I even have a macro set up to I Agree when the EULA pops up.

As for games, I hope they distribute it wirlessly so I don't have to pick up a disk and put it into my drive. I have the autoplay already set on anything I load like that so it will setup automatically and then start to run. I even have a macro set up to I Agree when the EULA pops up.

... and of course the game should automatically uninstall as soon as you're finished watch... playing it. Way too much hassle otherwise.

I hope that can be played while leaving a big stone on my keyboard so I can go for a meal meanwhile, or go shopping, cinema, etc. ...

I think that was to be expected. Or rather, to be feared.

At least now I know that I'll be saving money. :D

Back
Top Bottom