Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

The player guide and corebook, both digital and physical, are included in a lot of the tiers, excepting the lowest ones. We are limited in the amounts we can offer both digitally and physically (Monte doesn't want to give away thousands upon thousands of copies of his hard work, obviously, he still needs to sell em) so we can't do it as an add-on, but they're in there for many tiers.

Ok, no worries. If you see him, let him know one potential fan is interested in digital (I saw hardcopy was on his pre-order page; I don't buy a whole lot of hardbacks these days).

And I don't think it's inappropriate to offer sincere congratulations. I went in for the $95 level and am very excited.

Pledged. I would like to know more details, such as TB or RTwP, but I coughed up some cash. Still sounds more interesting than 90 percent of the crap that is made. If this keeps up, I may never buy another game that isn't a Kickstarter.

Let's see:
Wasteland 2
Chaos Chronicles
Divinity: Original Sin
Shadow Run
Torment
That one Arkania uprezzing

And possibly Grimoire, Age of Decadence, Frayed Knights 2, Age of Decadence, and a few others I have forgotten.

Things are looking good for our dying genre on a dying platform.

That's a nice list. I count 4 there I have bought or will buy that aren't Kickstarters.

One thing these games might do, after launch of course, is to publish some of the their assets (textures, weapon art, doors etc.) on the Unity Asset Store. That would give other developers some traction and also make a bit of extra money.

Damn. Not really looking to back any more kickstarters but this is an obvious one to back. Basically I've backed 19 kickstarters over the past year have have seen none actually ship product yet and many were supposed be completed by now. 2 are really close like within a week or 2 I expect something and I went in knowing this was going to a long slog which is why I'm trying to pull back and see how it goes.

I'm wondering how they will change up the rewards. In previously games like PE I've backed a low item but added on extras where meaningful to me. Not seeing anything but maybe alpha/beta access as being interesting.

I presume that the rights holder/s get the money.
IP & distribution rights don't simply disappear. They are bought, sold, sub-licensed, etc. There's always somebody willing to buy old IP for a small amount of money.

If a games company goes bankrupt its IPs are sold or auctioned off. See the THQ situation at the moment.
Sometimes there are time limits or certain conditions upon which "the rights" (whatever that specifically means) fall back to the licensor.

PB owns the Gothic brand and all rights for the first Gothic. Whoever sells Gothic 1 made a deal with PB.
Observation tells me that the publishing and distribution rights for G2 and G3 still reside with Nordic Games, who bought them when JoWooD went belly-up. Deep Silver seems no longer involved, although they were co-publisher for G3.
As others have said, rights holders. Interplay for Fallout currently, with Bethesda taking over in 2014. Hasbro is the rights holder and publisher of Planescape: Torment.
Thanks. Have to say I'm disappointed but that's pretty much what I expected. While GOG is great for keeping games alive for gamers a successful Good Old Game makes precious little (monetary) difference to its creators if a company has already gone down. Successful gog.com stories for games by the likes of BlackIsle or Troika are ultimately meaningless (if you don't care about GOG or CDP itselft, that is).

Anyhow, apologies for the OT, back to the happy stuff. Strectch goals published and 1.5m is not too far away. I love how according to kicktraq it currently is trending towards 46m.

Insta-pledge.

I backed yesterday for the lowest tier, being $20, but I am already considering upping... Yes, *that* is how hyped I am... :)

All of the Gothic games are owned by PB and Nordic Games has a deal with them for Arcania.

So that means PB is actually getting paid when people buy Gothic 1-3 on GOG? That's most certainly a good thing.

They certainly get paid a small share. The "rights" situation is a bit more complicated though. JoWooD paid for the development of G2 and G3, so the company which got their rights package (Nordic) will take huge part of the revenue.
The first Gothic is PB's alone.
It's also clear that there was a deal about Arcania, and that as of now PB owns the Gothic brand and has the exclusive right to make a new Gothic. So effectively they're in full control now, with the exception of the distribution of G2 - Arcania.

So I said I wouldn't give to them since they're still working on Wasteland 2. I read their reasons for the parallel development stages and they make sense. I'm not one of the high donors (I don't really care too much for the physical stuff, though I do wish I never lost all my old cloth maps...) so its not too much of a risk.

I do really look forward to Wasteland 2 & Project Eternity and though this isn't as high in my list as that, what I've seen from Wasteland 2 is enough for me to jump in on this.

I don't think any but a select few can replicate Fargo's successful campaigns. The success resides on Fargo himself and the sympathy he gets for not only his background but something about him that transpires in the videos.

And that kid. I think everyone (except the evil geniuses behing the campaigns) under estimates the impact he has in the videos. "Hey, oldschool!" :)

Pretty shallow stuff on the surface but it's all about striking a chord and those elements do that. McComb did too but to a lesser extent IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom