The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

BTW, Mike, finally watched the Romantic Warrior vid. Seemed a little pointless, but you gotta love the crazy fast bass. The keys and guitar parts did little for me, even on a technique level, but I have no doubt that was more a reflection of the composition than the players.

I don't get what you mean about the technique - the unison runs of 128th notes are something that *no* rock/pop/whatever group in existence could manage.

You've got a point there. I was thinking that quick play on a geetar isn't anything special. Matching up to the bass would take some skill, although if both players do their job, it's going to come out properly timed. The drumming was pronounced enough that each player would be playing to a metronome. At those speeds, the notes couldn't help but be close enough to unison that any "miss" would be gone before you even had a chance to notice it. You've got to have players that can keep a rigid meter, which ain't no mean feat at that tempo, but still. They don't have to match each other--just keep time. Not saying you could grab the first emo axeman you stumbled on, but I would think there'd be a fair number (like more than 10) of "classically trained" folks that could keep time. Perhaps some of those Spanish style guys? Now, I'm not sure you'd have too many bass guys that could play that fast, keep rigid time, and not wear out half way thru all those runs. Thems some heavy strings...

edit- OK, there's a section around 5:45 where there's not as much leadership from the drums. Still enough for a pro to keep time, but it wouldn't be as easy.

Last edited:
I must have made Mike mad... :(

2 new songs from TearWave!!!
Here

I must have made Mike mad... :(

Naw, just busy as heck ... and not sure where we're going.

My point with the whole RtF thing was that mixing 'mastery of craft' in with 'mastery of art' is a dangerous thing. You made a remark about the RtF stuff being pointless. That song, in particular, is one of my faves as a bassist but least faves as a hack composer - it really has loads of 'elements' but not a lot of harmonic threads tying them all together. That is fairly typical in Stanley Clarke's stuff. I like Al DiMeola, but he also suffers from limited composition chops - especially in the shadow of a master such as Chick Corea.

But that record represents some of the best of the traditional 'fusion' genre - a genre marked by extremely high levels of technical mastery yet low levels of creative artistry.

The Gathering - Mandylion

I know that I initially savaged this cd, but strangely enough, Ive come to like it now. Weird how music changes for me. This is one of several that Ive initially dismissed, then put on some time later and ended up liking it. It isnt a masterpiece or anything, but I find myself listening to it quite a bit.

My Ether Aura cd showed up while I was in Chicago, so I'm getting ready to fire it up!

The new Ether Aura takes a step toward pop, but it's still pretty solid stuff. Several very catchy tunes, and well worth the $12 (including shipping) I paid. My pre-order included a thank you card hand-signed by the band members. I'm such a sucker for that sort of stuff...

Can't offer anything new, folks, because I've been stuck on "Pale Sister" by Titania. Might have to invest in the cd next time I get a toneVendor order together.

I just got the Lily Allen Album "Alright Still". I must admit it's quite good. Very distinct sound kinda like the 60's meet the 90's. Good to sing along to (as I tend to do when I'm driving to work).

"Willow Farm" embedded in "Supper's Ready" by Genesis.
Live version from the "Archive" box number 1.

don't know if anyone is familar with the mid-late 90's band from the u.k. dubstar. i love sarah blackwoods' voice and own all there cds. i had never seen this video before to probably their most well known song and stumbled onto it last night.
http://www.thanksforthecheese.net/Dubstar_Stars1.avi via http://www.dubstar.org.uk/

her new band client is cool to and i have their first cd but never really listened to it much. i enjoyed this video though last night a bunch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xUi7rsNXtU&mode=related&search=

Dubstar is excellent. I think my copy of "Goodbye" is an OOP item now. Equal helpings of 80s new wave, dreamy swirls, and pretty vocals make for an enjoyable mix. While "Stars" was initially my favorite track, I've since gravitated toward "View from Here" and "Anywhere".

Client reminds me a fair bit of Ladytron, although probably not as good.

Thanks for the videos.

Last edited:
What in the heck was that, abbaon? Not saying it was bad at all (fairly decent, in fact), but I'll admit I have no idea what was going on. The crowd seemed to be having a blast, though.

Public service announcement: Ether Aura has posted a new track from the new cd on MySpace. Good song, reminds me of All About Eve in some spots.

Currently listening for me: Bought the Cure's Festival 2005 dvd yesterday, so I'm on a binge. My favorite Cure song is not included on the set list, but #2 is- "A Strange Day".

Montreal based producer Ghislain Poirier's Pour te Réchaufffer with TTC and Omnikrom. Bouncy, neo-electro, hip hop.

I'm listening to the Hotel Dusk (DS) 'soundtrack', which is just the stuff ripped from the game - you can check it out here.

Seeing as Nintendo hasn’t really made a big push to promote Hotel Dusk Room 215 (Nintendo DS), it’s probably safe to say that they do not plan to release a soundtrack to retail. Luckily a few Neo-GAF users (myself included) have ripped and titled each song from the game and made them available for download. The entire .zip file is 64MB (shouldn’t be a problem for most of you, but with my cruddy machine, I was faced with a 4 hours download).

Love the game, love the soundtrack ...

Now listening to Hawkwind - Space Ritual...

If you have never listened to Hawkwind and you like space rock/psychedelic rock (like early Pink Floyd with Syd Barret *RIP*), you will love them...

Trivia for those interested... Lemmy Kilmister from Motorhead played bass and did some vocals for Hawkwind for a couple of years before he was kicked out of the band for getting busted for drugs. He even wrote the hawkwind song "Motorhead" which is where he got the idea for the name of his new band. He also did vocals on one of their biggest UK hits - Silver Machine.

Good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom