HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Xbox Hub checked out the remastered Bard's Tale Trilogy:

The Bard's Tale Trilogy Review

Let me sing you a song...

These days, gamers are spoilt with an abundance of things to do in-game: For example, I've spent the majority of my time in Red Dead Redemption 2 simply playing dominoes at the campsite, and I've spent far too much time playing Blitzball in Final Fantasy X, treating it like a full sports simulation game and assigning my players distinct personas.

[...]

There is no question as to why The Bard's Tale games are held in such high esteem; they were pioneers for RPGs that we know and love today. Many of their design choices are such that we take them for granted today, but someone had to 'invent' them. As a snapshot of games in the '80s The Bard's Tale Trilogy on Xbox One is a great example, with enough work gone into the remaster to keep them fresh without losing their initial charm. The first Volume is still a slog and Skara Brae isn't the most exciting to explore, but the second and third Volumes are worth sticking around for.

Score: 3.5/5
More information.

Okay review but I'm not sure how you can call BT1 a slog and the weakest. BT1 is a super short game (esp. with auto mapping) with quick leveling. BT2 was the weakest for me and it's the only one I haven't finished - although I just started playing it again with the remastered version so we will see how it goes.

I just finished replaying the first Bard's Tale a few days ago, I took a day off then jumped into the second one. I romped through the first dungeon yesterday, and made my way to the outdoor castle area this afternoon, when I logged and called it a day. That's where I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and I swear I'm having almost as much fun with these games now as I did in the mid eighties. These are the types of games that others only wish they could replicate!!

I was wondering for a long time : is it now possible to change the combat mechanisms in any way so that it is not "simultaneous" ? I vastly prefer how it was done in Might & Magic, Wizardry, etc.

Remade with SHT art. Only the free mouselook 3D town is nice. All the hand drawn SHT art is wretched quality disappointment. Ain't no skill in there to be amazed of!

Back
Top Bottom