Microsoft back to their old crap

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/12/windows-10-to-discourage-chrome-firefox-installs/
-
Basically they try to scare you away from alternative browsers. The first time I remember they doing this sort of stuff was way back in the days when dr-dos was an alternative to msdos. dr dos was far superior so all ms applications would print a warning whenever you ran them on dr-dos and basically blame any bugs or crashes on dr-dos.
-
Ever since they been doing this sort of stuff. One of many reasons why steam-os needs to take off and game makers need to make games for linux rather than windows.

The giving away for free and integration of IE in order to destroy Netscape is what got them in trouble in the first place. It was only after it went to court that it was revealed to the authorities that they did the same thing Lotus, Corel, Borland, and PC Anywhere.

That are not going to get away with and its likely not going to go to prime time. The only argument they have this time around is Google started doing it with their nag popups to try and get people to switch to Chrome. The writer conveniently doesn't mention that.

Yeah read about this last night and couldn't help but see a few similarities from last time this happened. It caused multiple legal cases against Microsoft. History repeats itself.

They might just fancy trying their luck again, in the current pro-corporate, low-regulation environment.

Meh, one time annoyance. Not a big deal to me.

I actually find I like IE and edge better anyway. I mostly use chrome anyway because thier on my mobile devices and I have all my bookmarks synced.

I have thought about putting IE on my mobile devices and switching though. Also thinking of getting rid of my iPad for a surface pro.

They might just fancy trying their luck again, in the current pro-corporate, low-regulation environment.

I think its more along the lines of they are no longer a monopoly so they can get away with it.

What kind of dystopia world do you live in? There has never been more oversight or accountability for corporations in the history of the world. Do you forget the whole industrial revolution, the unions, the corp factories of the 1940s, the business parks of the 70s and the monoplies of the 90s and 00s?

Good Lord man, one can not decry goverment meddling and request more regulation in the same breathe.

What kind of dystopia world do you live in? There has never been more oversight or accountability for corporations in the history of the world. Do you forget the whole industrial revolution, the unions, the corp factories of the 1940s, the business parks of the 70s and the monoplies of the 90s and 00s?

Good Lord man, one can not decry goverment meddling and request more regulation in the same breathe.

I don't see how I'm "decrying goverment meddling and requesting more regulation in the same breathe", nor what the rest of it has to do with my point.

What I'm saying is pretty straightforward. Last time Microsoft tried to impose domination of their browser, in the '90s, they were hit with an antitrust case. Now, they might feel times have changed, with net neutrality killed by brazen lobbying, and a batshit, corrupt, dysfunctional administration with an avowed intention to slash regulation. I can see why they might have a go.

I disagreed with your "pro corporate low regulation environment" comment. Not specific to Microsoft.

In reference to the MS case tho…
Lets be real tho, was there REALLY an option in the 90s for different OS for burgeoning PC users? Not a chance. No software could compete with the one size package that MS offered. Its the equivlent of shopping in the 90s at a Mall vs the cornerstore market. Sure the market might be great… for its 30 users…. but no amount of marketing would make the cornerstore able to serve the mall users.
Should tax dollars be used to HELP the corner store expand? Should the mall be penalized for providing a good package?

PS. As a linux user I'm used to not being adequately serviced with superior choices. I know this is an unwinnable debate if we choose to continue the conversation. I just don't believe anyone has put the time and effort into providing a truly superior product that can cater to the lowest commom denominator. Apple managed it. Amazon managed it. Google managed it. It can be done for sure. Its just rare and I don't believe tax dollars should ever be spent on initatives like this.

Last edited:
Well, I do think pro-corporate and low-regulation is a fair description of the current environment in the US, and that those properties are not contradictory, but we can agree to disagree on that.

With regard to the original Microsoft case, the key issue was not foremost the MS monopoly itself, but that it was leveraging its domination of desktop computers to also push competitors out of the browser market, where there actually was quite strong competition. One of the options on the table, if Microsoft continued with such behaviour, was to break it into separate companies that could compete with each other. That's quite a common remedy to anticompetitive monopolies, because, as you say, where is the serious competition going to materialise from?

Last edited:
I gave an example in the first post. Actually there were many alternatives both in applications and OS. However MS used the combination of their OS, application AND vendor licenses to kill most competition.
-

In reference to the MS case tho…
Lets be real tho, was there REALLY an option in the 90s for different OS for burgeoning PC users?
P.

Back
Top Bottom