What cRPGs to look forward to?

No your right, it's definitely gotten worse since you left. Most of them just troll and don't engage in prolonged discussion, so it's not a big deal and doesn't disrupt most threads. But it's still annoying.

It doesn't really bother me that much, personally, but if it's making others, like Dasale, feel compelled to respond in kind - then it's not a great thing.

It doesn't really bother me that much, personally, but if it's making others, like Dasale, feel compelled to respond in kind - then it's not a great thing.

Well I've seen Dasale respond similarly when people were being perfectly polite to him, so I'm not sure he can blame his behavior on others. I think a bigger problem is more that when a few people start posting a certain way, it shows others that they can get away with it.

Adding Low Magic Age to my list

Don't sweat it, luj1 -- AoD is pure and utter shit

but... but... its a good interactive CYOA novel :( with some humorous writing too :D

Well I've seen Dasale respond similarly when people were being perfectly polite to him, so I'm not sure he can blame his behavior on others. I think a bigger problem is more that when a few people start posting a certain way, it shows others that they can get away with it.

Oh, I would never blame others for that. But it's the kind of thing that could potentially have a negative long-term impact on the Watch environment.

Not that there's much to do about it. I mean, heavy moderation is the worst possible option.

Oh, I would never blame others for that. But it's the kind of thing that could potentially have a negative long-term impact on the Watch environment.

Not that there's much to do about it. I mean, heavy moderation is the worst possible option.

I think ignoring those people is the best option but its hard to do sometimes! I think, If you ignore them they will get bored and go away.

I think ignoring those people is the best option but its hard to do sometimes! I think, If you ignore them they will get bored and go away.

My ignore list has grown quite a bit of late :)

Which is sad, because I think some good could come from exchanging with these guys - it's just that i don't have the patience for the same cyclical "you're so dumb, I'm so cool" routine over and over.

My ignore list has grown quite a bit of late :)

Which is sad, because I think some good could come from exchanging with these guys - it's just that i don't have the patience for the same cyclical "you're so dumb, I'm so cool" routine over and over.

I know what you mean. Sometimes I see real insight coming across then the next minute its back to troll land. I wonder if more than one person is using the same account!

I know what you mean. Sometimes I see real insight coming across then the next minute its back to troll land. I wonder if more than one person is using the same account!

Unfortunately, it's common behavior on most gaming forums I know. But the Watch used to be different, which is part of the reason I really liked it.

But the Watch used to be different, which is part of the reason I really liked it.

One small piece of advice. Often when you come to the realisation that something has changed, it is in fact often not because that thing has changed, but you yourself have changed. This is more likely to be true when you think a whole societal group has changed. The entire watch didn't change, you did :) I'm not saying that change is a bad thing though.

The same analogy can be used in terms of gaming. If you don't find there are decent cRPG games being released these days i.e. WL2, PoE, Divinity: Original Sin, Torment, Tyranny etc then it is because your tastes have changed/matured. Personally I find this new breed of cRPG just as good as the classics that were released back in the late nineties and early 2000's but then again I haven't changed at all :D

One small piece of advice. Often when you come to the realisation that something has changed, it is in fact often not because that thing has changed, but you yourself have changed. This is more likely to be true when you think a whole societal group has changed. The entire watch didn't change, you did :) I'm not saying that change is a bad thing though.

I see your point, but that's not really what I'm saying. I didn't say the entire "societal group" has changed. I'm saying we have more people of a certain profile and with certain behavior than we used to.

It doesn't really relate to myself. I mean, I've probably changed in some ways - as have we all - but I still retain the ability to recognise patterns in people :)

I'm saying we have more people of a certain profile and with certain behavior than we used to.

Agreed, we probably do have more. But is that just because we have a larger user base and people with the traits you describe are more likely to voice their opinion or because of some reason more nefarious? I blame codex refugees :lol:

Agreed, we probably do have more. But is that just because we have a larger user base and people with the traits you describe are more likely to voice their opinion or because of some reason more nefarious? I blame codex refugees :lol:

I'm not sure it has to do with a larger user base, or that's not my take on it. Can't point to any specific reason except that we just happen to have had a bunch of negative nancys join lately.

I'm not sure it has to do with a larger user base, or that's not my take on it. Can't point to any specific reason except that we just happen to have had a bunch of negative nancys join lately.

I am not sure our user base has grown but I think some positive pollys have stopped posting recently!

True about everything is peachy posters, Fluent is gone for example (although per my Steam's friendlist seems he's active there). Also mainly positives, Gorath and txa are still here, but rarely post, etc.

True also about codex escapees, but I generally like it's happening. They grew up and cannot be easily entertained just by reading "dick" or something. Sure, some skills they carry over, but it's still trolling on amateur level.

However…
RPGwatch is a living site. People come and go, people change, people tend to have more or less time for discussion about different stuff. In a sort of chaos, one detects patterns only if they're actively searching for it. It's basically 4leaf clover case, sometimes rare, sometimes a whole bunch of those are found at the same spot. But definelty not in the same amount till eternity. Noticable only if you care about it.
What surprises me is at the same time one can't see patterns in mundane puzzles like this:
swrm2kwp40ny.jpg

I am not sure our user base has grown but I think some positive pollys have stopped posting recently!

Well, to be honest I find the perhaps overly optimistic posters are almost as bad as the negative trolls. I don't mind if some people love a certain game and posts positive about it, but when someone loves ALL games their opinion kind of loses meaning to me. (And it kind of rubs me the wrong way, although I admit that's me being cynical and perhaps even a bit jealous…)

I agree with Dart assessment that the forum might have shifted slightly toward a less…articulate criticism, but that's only because of a few newer posters who like to express themselves the codex way. I can't really say it's a trend.

I've always liked the fact that on the Watch we love and hate just as much as they do on the Codex, but without resorting to calling each other names…or at least the names are a bit more politically correct and less stereotype.

Last edited:
Dart, I believe you've managed to derail this thread too... ;)

Adding Demons Age and Low Magic Age to my maybe list. Nice to see some more CRPGs coming out using OGL.

Back
Top Bottom