Operencia: The Stolen Sun - Epic Store Exclusive

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports that Operencia: The Stolen Sun will be an Epic Game Store exclusive.

Zen Studios announced that Operencia: The Stolen Sun, its upcoming modern take on the classic dungeon-crawling RPG genre, will release exclusively through the Epic Games store for PC. The game was meant to hit Steam later this year (as there is a Steam store page for it), however - and similarly to other recent games - it will abandon Steam in favour of Epic's new digital store.

[...]
More information.

This would have been day1 buy for me, was impressed when i saw it for the first time; but if they chose epicshitstore, i'll choose daemon tools then.

I've noticed with Metro that the devs are using Epic in order to give the users a lower price, rather than charging the same price.

Anyway, Tim Sweeny is a champ. Now that Carmacks left gaming Sweeny is one of the last oldschool devs who's still relevant. Don't you guys remember Unreal Tournament? I didn't think anything could compete with Quake3 until he invented secondary fire modes!

Epic Games is good! =)

I've noticed with Metro that the devs are using Epic in order to give the users a lower price, rather than charging the same price.

Anyway, Tim Sweeny is a champ. Now that Carmacks left gaming Sweeny is one of the last oldschool devs who's still relevant. Don't you guys remember Unreal Tournament? I didn't think anything could compete with Quake3 until he invented secondary fire modes!

Epic Games is good! =)

Metro is 10$ cheaper only for USA, for europe is is actully more expensive, since 1$ is not 1€

And if they can sell it cheaper in epic store then where does the 88% cut excuse go?

This is all about the money epic is paying and that is beyond unfair, epic games is the WORST that ever happened to pc gaming

This was one of my anticipated games of 2019. I don't really have a problem with the Epic store but i don't like this exclusivity thing. I may buy it when it comes out, depending on the state of the epic store at the time.

It has always taken a specific game to get me to download a client. I got Steam in 2013 to get Aarkalash:Legacy, which wasn't a great game, but at the time I really wanted it. I downloaded GOG in 2014 to get the Geneforge collection, which GOG was offering then for a great price. I dowloaded UPlay to get Might and Magic X, and Origin to get Mass Effect 2. This looks like the type of game I like, so if the price is right and the game looks, after careful examination, to be a game I really want, I'd be willing to get it from Epic.

It has always taken a specific game to get me to download a client. I got Steam in 2013 to get Aarkalash:Legacy, which wasn't a great game, but at the time I really wanted it. I downloaded GOG in 2014 to get the Geneforge collection, which GOG was offering then for a great price. I dowloaded UPlay to get Might and Magic X, and Origin to get Mass Effect 2. This looks like the type of game I like, so if the price is right and the game looks, after careful examination, to be a game I really want, I'd be willing to get it from Epic.

Are you aware that Operencia had a beta on steam?

Metro is 10$ cheaper only for USA, for europe is is actully more expensive, since 1$ is not 1€

And if they can sell it cheaper in epic store then where does the 88% cut excuse go?

This is all about the money epic is paying and that is beyond unfair, epic games is the WORST that ever happened to pc gaming

Are you sure it's more expensive in Europe? That doesn't seem right?

Well, I've had Epic Launcher installed for years for Unreal Engine. In that time I've paid nothing, got UT reboot for free, Paragon was free while it lasted then when it closed they released all the art assets for free in UE, then I gave Fortnite BR a play because it was free THEN they started a store and have been giving away a free game every week or so. The last one was the You Don't Know Jack party pack, before that was Subnautica...

I've also got uplay, origin, bethesda, battlenet, Steam, GoG Galaxy installed. Just go with it and get some free games. It's just a tiny client. Sure, Steam is a better platform with chat and things but saying Epic Games is the worst thing that ever happened to gaming is way off.

Just look at Sweeny in this promo for the gtx 1080. He's so awkward and adorable! Like a tall gaming Gollum! Meanwhile, the nvidia guy is such a salesman he's always tripping over his own lies. I was listening to him selling RTX tech the other day and he starts talking about how RTX can do ray tracing with no performance cost then he starts describing DLSS (deep learning super sampling) as the reason it's possible. He's always tripping up like that. But you can hear late in the 1080 promo Sweeny says something about "maybe one day you can invent a GPU that makes it possible" and the crowd laughs. He's got integrity!

It was a Day-1 buy for me. Now... Well, actually, it's still a Day-1 buy. A Day-1 when it's available on GOG or Steam.

A bit sad, but with my massive backlog of good RPGs, I can wait a few months or years.

Same with me, I was very interested in this game, but assumed it would be available on either great old games or steam. Until that actually happens, I'll just do without playing this one.

Well, it's not coming out this year, anyway. Plenty of time to think about installing Epic launcher and getting in on the free game giveaways.

Back in the day I used to use 3rd party apps to find Counter-strike servers and was pissed off when I had to install Steam to play Half-life 2 and CS:source.

Fuck it. You can't beat 'em. Join 'em! Free games means you're even being paid to install the unwanted app. Much better deal than CS got with Steam. Were no freebies there for ages. =)

As any free games are simply a trick to get you to install these worthless platforms on your computer, this is something I can easily avoid doing. It is far too early to predict what kind of service Epic actually will be, and I'm in no hurry to put another platform system on my computer. Any platform that simply gives you license to play the games yet not actually own them outright is something to always be wary of, especially a new and unproven system.

Welp, Epic games is quickly becoming a good way to filter out new games that I won't buy...:p Too many games coming out these days anyhow, so this will help cut down on the clutter of new games to consider. :biggrin:

If its a game I really want, then I really don't have a problem downloading a legitimate client, I have most of them installed anyway. The problem I have is keeping track of them all, I have resorted to saving the desktop icons and reinstalling the icon on my desktop after I uninstall a game, I just have to many to keep track off.

Paid-for platform exclusivity has long been a blight on the gaming landscape. It's a greedy, small-minded practice which made me resent console companies over the years, and now it makes me reconsider my opinion of Epic, despite the respect I've had for the company since their shareware days. But then, maybe it's really Tencent I should take issue with.

Operencia seemed to be right down my alley as a fp dungeon crawler, wishlisted on Steam when I first heard about it. Now, I can wait.

Seems another game joined Epic.

Dauntless Joins the Epic Games Store
When we started building Dauntless over four years ago, we had a vision: No matter where you were in the world or which platform you were playing on, you would be able to play with your friends. Epic Games blazed a trail by delivering the first game with true cross-play on PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, mobile, and Nintendo Switch. We are grateful to partner with them on Dauntless.

Seems another game joined Epic.

Dauntless Joins the Epic Games Store

Well, this seems to be an (ftp?) online title that previously used their own client switching over to the Epic's store - no foul play there that I can see: Games like that plausibly need to have a single "home"/launcher, and this move actually reduces market segmentation.

Semi OT:

Newsflash from 2023:
Tencent has announced its new PC Store, and The Witcher 4 will be its first exclusive. The hit franchise abandons the popular Epic store platform, while struggling Steam store strives to reclaim its former glory by signing exclusive deals with upcoming indie games, such as Yet Another Shameless Castlevania Ripoff by VeryHipster Game Studios.

Interpret as you like.

Back
Top Bottom