Risen - The Experience #3

I have played through all three now, and while they certainly nowhere near the real game, I do get the impression that the famous Gothic atmosphere is present - it feels somewhat similar to the swamp camp in G1, or the add-on world in NotR.

I love the music, it's beautiful. It's core thing in the atmosphere in this flash game. And it's similiar to first Gothic's music in the wilderness! Now we're talking about good hype, not next 'mature, epic, dark & gritty' Dragon Age trailer.

Well I still think Dragon Age will be a really good game. The marketing strategy is the problem, not the game (IMHO).
Speaking about Risen, the 45 min footgae reminds me the Gothic titles but I hope they've improved some game mechanics I always found boring (combat, inventory management, etc.)
Still waiting for a demo here………..

I'm really looking forward to this game. From everything I've seen of the game so far, it looks like PB has really nailed it this time. Not only in terms of gameplay, quests, fighitng, and graphics, but also the game appears to play very smoothly.

Hmm, doesn't seem too interesting to me. I guess it might not be my kind of a rpg. I'll probably try the demo, but the videos haven't made this seem that good. Environment looks quite pretty, but the character design seems a bit bulky at times. Combat looks a bit clunky and weird, but maybe it gets more variety at higher levels. Storywise hard to say from the videos.

I haven't played the Gothic series. Apart from Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, I haven't really played that much sandbox rpgs. I usually need a good story and roleplaying options in dialog to keep me interested in a rpg, especially if I'm to replay a game. Exploration, character building and combat usually get boring after a while if there's nothing else to keep the game interesting.

I haven't played the Gothic series. Apart from Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, I haven't really played that much sandbox rpgs. I usually need a good story and roleplaying options in dialog to keep me interested in a rpg, especially if I'm to replay a game. Exploration, character building and combat usually get boring after a while if there's nothing else to keep the game interesting.
Gothic isn't similiar to Oblivion/Gothic/Morrowind. It's different kind of a game - it focus on the story not random running around (except Gothic 3 which was a failure IMO). It is sandbox but it has small and well made world.

None of the gothics were sandbox, they only gave that appearance for newbie greenhorn gamers. Many fedex, mundane, repetive, boring quests were put as a deceptive hurdle in the gamers path to delude them and knock them off the true single quest path of which there is only one in G1 and likewise in G3.
Risen, though in many ways appears a different game, in a strange kind of way has some remarkable similarities.

Deep Silver are hosting a UK Risen gamer day in central London on the 26th September, if you fancy going you get to play the game, ask questions to be put to the developers and a free goodie bag! You can find more details on the official Risen blog here.

Slightly off-topic: Deep Silver has now announced that Risen has gone gold :) .

Time to start planning that week. :)

I started to play the first part of the flash game, but then decided that I'd rather not experience anything until I actually play the game. Besides, the damn thing loads sooo slow...

Gamestop still has it removed as a 360 title. A friend wrote them to ask what happened, and he got this response:

Unfortunately Risen for Xbox 360 was recently delisted/discontinued. Since we will no longer be receiving any stock of this item due to manufacturer shortages/cancellation we would be unable to fulfill this portion of your order.

I have no idea what that means. It's a little concerning, but I'm not too worried, since it is still listed everywhere else (except Best Buy) as coming to the 360.

I know most people here play on PC, but I thought I'd throw the 360 info out there, too, in case anyone else is like me.

Slightly off-topic: Deep Silver has now announced that Risen has gone gold :) .
The key point here is "announced". It was clear for quite some time that the game was finished. Devs were on vacation, they had a release party. That's not stuff you're doing when you've still got to meet a deadline.

The key point here is "announced". It was clear for quite some time that the game was finished. Devs were on vacation, they had a release party. That's not stuff you're doing when you've still got to meet a deadline.

Yes, exactly. That's why I worded it that way :) . That Austrian mag that gave it a 86% score in their print review also said that they tested the "final" version so the game must have been gold for quite a while already. My guess is that they kept silent to avoid a debacle like with the Gothic 3 gold master where the game went gold, and then didn't and then did again… or did it? ;) They probably wanted to make sure that absolutely nothing can go wrong anymore this time.

Gamestop still has it removed as a 360 title. A friend wrote them to ask what happened, and he got this response:

I have no idea what that means. It's a little concerning, but I'm not too worried, since it is still listed everywhere else (except Best Buy) as coming to the 360.

I know most people here play on PC, but I thought I'd throw the 360 info out there, too, in case anyone else is like me.

Well, it looks like the North American X360 version has possibly been delayed. "Possibly" because I don't know if the console version was ever announced or confirmed for a 10/2/2009 release in the first place but Deep Silver issued this statement on the NA X360 version in a press release today (bolding by me)…

"Deep Silver Inc., a publisher of interactive entertainment software and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Koch Media, and the developer Piranha Bytes just announced that the RPG Risen has reached gold status for Windows PC and will be released worldwide on October 2, 2009. The game is expected to be released on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in North America early next year."

Thanks Moriender. That clears it up.

I was conflicted about whether to get Risen right now or not. Guess that decides it.

None of the gothics were sandbox

How do you define sandbox then? You're free to go to, almost, where ever you want and take which side quests you want etc, join which guild you want.. that's how most people define sandbox i would think. compared to any linear bioware game its a difference like night and day..

Back
Top Bottom