Obsidian Entertainment - New RPG published by Take-Two

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PCGamesN reports that Obsidian's new RPG will be published by Take-Two:

Obsidian's new RPG won't be out until at least Q2 2019, now published by Take-Two

Take-Two have launched a new publishing label that is partnered with a load of big name developers who have started independent studios, including Obsidian’s new RPG.
[...]
Recently, Take-Two announced that all their upcoming games would feature microtransactions but it’s not clear whether that will include this new label. While microtransactions may work in some of these games, from the description of Project Wight, a Beowulf-inspired game where you play the monster, doesn’t seem like a natural fit for that kind of system.
[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

They announced all their games will contain micro transactions? Great...

I don't see Obsidian as a type of company that would put micro transactions in their games. Unless Obsidian wants to destroy their company.

I don't see Obsidian as a type of company that would put micro transactions in their games. Unless Obsidian wants to destroy their company.

Yeah...they have them on their mobile games though. But if say PoE2 has micro transactions, Obsidian can strike my name from their fan list.

Yeah…they have them on their mobile games though. But if say PoE2 has micro transactions, Obsidian can strike my name from their fan list.

There is written that Take Two announced that…

Take-Two announced that all their upcoming games would feature microtransactions but it’s not clear whether that will include this new label.

Of course, players could be worried if devs join forces with publisher who pushes for this "microshit".

We'll see. I doubt that Obisidian is willing to destroy their goodwill with adding microtransactions, espeically since they did a survey on that stuff. And we all know the result of it.

Plus this is a new label of TakeTwo so it might not adhere to their policy about microtransaction in every new game. At least that's my hope. If they want to do DLC then I'm ok with it, as long as they are not small in scope and content :)

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/941291906407059456

Interesting part:
SomeTwitterGuy/Girl: Expect it to be full of "recurrent consumer spending" ��
Private Division: Don’t worry, this is not a requirement for our titles.

Last edited:
Of course, players could be worried if devs join forces with publisher who pushes for this "microshit".

Precisely what I was referring to. A publisher that actually states all their games will contain MT's... as if that was a good thing? "Sure, we'll publish your game, as long as you add horse armour, currency you can buy for RL money, and of course Loot boxes. Perhaps you could also add an awesome button?"

If the publisher is that committed to micro-transactions I'd prefer them to be open and up front about it. That way I can ignore all their games from the start instead of getting excited and then disappointed.

Mentioning micro-transactions is like poisoning the well. Now I'm wary of their entire product line.

What about lootboxes? Gotta have lots of lootboxes to complement the MTs.

Really excited!

__

This puts the Obsidian survey on DLC into a different light. Perhaps Obsidian were trying to prove to Take2 what the fans of Obsidian would and would not tolerate as a lever for negotiation.

I hope they manage to avoid MTs despite this, but I'm not convinced. Publishers have a lot of power.

I don't really care about microtransactions if they're optional and don't hurt the game itself.

I mean, publisher opportunism and greed have been part and parcel since the industry got started.

But Obsidian have always been contract workers - and their games are usually middling to good, for my part.

So, I guess you could say I'm not invested enough to care about this one.

Microtransactions?
RIP Obsidian.

Back
Top Bottom