Pillars of Eternity II - Launch Date April 3rd

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will be launching April 3rd.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Launch Date Announced, Pre-Orders Open!

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is our first sequel here at Obsidian and we’ve created something incredible. At Obsidian, we are all about stories, worlds, and characters, and in Deadfire we’ve done it again with a vast open world explorable by the player’s own customizable ship, character customization with enough options to make any RPG player want to make a hundred characters, and an exciting narrative that truly delivers on the reactivity that makes our games special. We’re confident that new and returning players will find Deadfire to be the RPG experience of the year,” said Obsidian Entertainment CEO Feargus Urquhart.

Irvine, California – January 25th, 2018 - Independent developer Obsidian Entertainment, in partnership with indie powerhouse publisher Versus Evil announced the launch of pre-orders today for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. Consumers can now digitally pre-order the Standard , Deluxe, and Obsidian Editions through Obsidian.net, GOG.com, and Steam, as well as other digital retailers. The physical Obsidian Edition of the game, which includes additional in-game content and physical items for gamers to enjoy, is available for pre-order at all major gaming retail stores.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will launch April 3, 2018 on Windows PC, Mac, and Linux platforms.

By pre-ordering the Standard, Deluxe, or Obsidian Edition, fans will receive three unique in-game digital items:

• St. Drogga's Skull – Crafted from a sabre and the skull of a martyr, it will slash and burn enemies in combat, while also guiding players through the darkest reaches of the Deadfire.
  • Beakhead, the Hawk (In-Game Pet): Beakhead, the white hawk, took a liking to your ship soon after you arrived in the Deadfire. Captains in the Deadfire are only as effective as their crew, and with this jaunty first-mate by your side, you're bound to find success at sea.
  • The Black Flag: This flag is said to have been flown by a mysterious and rowdy band of seadogs from a far-off land, who dyed their sails black with a stain made from ground-up dragon glass. Dark and intimidating, but somehow attractive, nonetheless.
The standard edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will cost $49.99, digital and physical retail, while the Deluxe Edition will be priced at $59.99. The Deluxe Edition will include the game’s official soundtrack composed by Justin Bell, composer of the soundtrack to the first Pillars of Eternity. Additionally, the Deluxe Edition includes: an in-game pet, a Deadfire themed special in-game item, a digital pen and paper RPG starter guide, a high-resolution game map, and Volume II of the digital guide book, published by Dark Horse.

The Obsidian Edition is priced at $74.99 for the digital version, and includes everything that comes in the Deluxe Edition as well as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch.

The physical version of the Obsidian Edition will cost $79.99, and will include the same content as its digital cousin, but also additional, physical rewards: a cloth map of the Deadfire region, an Explorer’s notepad, and a set of postcards that render the Deadfire Archipelago in beautiful detail.

More information.

"… as well as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch."

Blimey, how many DLC are they planning?
I'll probably wait for the DLC and inevitable patches before playing. Unless it just looks so great that I can't help diving in….

The Obsidian Edition is priced at $74.99 for the digital version, and includes everything that comes in the Deluxe Edition as well as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch.
Wait… do I understand correctly that there will be 3 "expansions" available at launch that will increase the price for the complete game to $80 (or $75)?
Or will they be avaliable somewhen after launch.

I assumed they'd meant after launch, but now you mention it yeah the way it's written it sounds like Day 1 stuff. Presumably that's just bad wording though.... surely Obsidian wouldn't do that...?

I really should push through the campaign in the first game :)

BTW, can you carry over your characters from PoE?

Apparently yes:
https://fextralife.com/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-import-your-save-character-guide/
Your quest states carry over Conversation choices, and how you dealt with your companions, friends, foes, and orlan babies will all carry over.
The save game is cross platform compatible, so you will be able to import from Mac to Linux, Gog to Steam, etc.
If you directly or indirectly got a companion killed or never recruited them in your save game, they will not be present in the Deadfire.
If you’ve never played Pillars of Eternity, during the introduction to Deadfire, you will be able to make choices from Pillars of Eternity as though you had played through the game, similar to the Mass effect series.
In all cases, you’ll begin as a level 1 character.

Ahh, so character progress doesn't carry over. That's a bit of a bummer, as that's what I enjoy the most.

Yeah I miss the kind of games where the first one took you to level 7 and the next one to level 15 etc. It's not part of modern design sadly.

First sequel at obsidian ?

You mean apart from KotOR2, NWN2 and DS3? ;)

But, yeah, I think it's the first time they made a sequel of their own games. But it's not like they're drowning in original material.

They're just contract workers who got popular with the minority for catering to the minority.

Damn, $75 to get the game and basically a "season pass" does seem pretty steep, but I guess they did price the first game as a premium price too. Hopefully, I'll be able to grab the whole package at a significant discount on a sale price, eventually. I don't buy these games until they have been patched up anyways. That said, I definitely want to get this game, one of the top rpgs on my wish list.

You have to say one thing about PoE2. Obsidian knows how to get a game out on time and keep a schedule. Seems like the games I have been excited about take forever to come out.

I'm not sure a quick development cycle is a thing to be especially excited for :)

That said, they're using the same engine and many of the same assets - so there's hope this could be what PoE should have been.

Did they put another designer in charge of mechanics? That would be the real game changer.

Auto pilot product incoming: no needs for inputs during battles, the AI does it all well.

Did they put another designer in charge of mechanics? That would be the real game changer.
There have been videos of Josh Sawyer talking about multiclassing and character progession whre it seemed obvious that he is still in charge. So as long as you're not talking about other mechanics you're out of luck.

Their games are buggy and unfinished on release. So waiting 6 months for a complete version is smart. But by that time a superior cRPG - Pathfinder Kingmaker - will be released. So I kind of doubt I will get to play PoE2 in 2018.

I remember when it was announced Paradox would publish the first one many worried that the game would be DLC galore, that didn't happen. Now it's a different publisher and right off the bat we have 3 DLCs.

Bobby Null is the lead designer on the game. Josh is the director, so he still deal with mechanics design, but he has a larger narrative designer charge on this one (Carrie Patel is the lead narrative designer I believe).

I remember when it was announced Paradox would publish the first one many worried that the game would be DLC galore, that didn't happen. Now it's a different publisher and right off the bat we have 3 DLCs.

It has nothing to do with the publisher. They sold a "season pass" during the crowdfunding because backers asked for one. Then they made a survey a few months back to see what people would want to see in their Obsidian made DLCs. The 3 DLCs is the result of that.

Back
Top Bottom