bitComposer - Chaos Chronicles Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
bitComposer announces a new fantasy turn-based top-down RPG from Coreplay (Jagged Alliance: Back in Action):
Chaos Chronicles leads PC gamers into a lost empire full of legends, thrilling adventures, and dangerous opponents. Players can explore numerous ancient ruins, mystical places, and mysterious dungeons alone or in a group of up to five players. Chaos Chronicles unites the typical characteristics of classic turn-based role-playing games with modern graphics and a gripping atmosphere. The sophisticated gameplay will captivate veterans of the genre as well as newcomers.
Over 200 years ago the flourishing kingdoms of elves, dwarves and mankind were consumed by chaos. Undead hordes lead by archwizards of the dark arts overran the land. Only few were able to escape. The survivors build their new homes on small, secluded islands off shore. A few years ago the Order of the Holy Flame sent its knights to lead an expedition to the mainland.
Even though the old cities lie in ruins and orcs, goblins and other creatures of evil roam the land there seems to be hope for a return to the land of their ancestors. The big harbor town Rethgard has been purged of the undead and the inner city has been fortified to stand ground against any kind of attack. Driven by their love for adventure the player’s party enters a boat in order to take part in rebuilding the kingdom.
There seems to be an empty website here (waiting for Gamescom?) and Blue's has some screens.
More information.

turn-based top-down RPG
Yes please.
Those screenies look good. If bitComposer do a good job they can capitalize on the interest Baldur's Gate Enhanced is generating for this type of game again.

It is funny they are going from turning a turn-based game series to a RTwP game too making a top-down turn-based game.

It looks nice, but it will be interesting to see how they do with the TB combat.

I was really unhappy when they took the best tactical TB game ever (JA2) and made it RTwP, but in these modern days of "RPGs must have action combat" I'll give anyone making a TB game the benefit of the doubt.

They should commit themselves to finishing Jagged Alliance: back to action.

And start to implement the strategy features that are missing sorely:
-moving around the island with a low/high profile
-a patrol, ambush, pursue sytem
-resource asset management (like captured towns, militia training etc)

But they start a new game...

Looks interesting. IMO, the sentence "Chaos Chronicles unites the typical characteristics of classic turn-based role-playing games with modern graphics and a gripping atmosphere" could be interepreted it does not necessarily have true turn-based combat, but has characteristics of turn-based combat. There's a difference. We'll have to wait for more info, but if it really has proper turn-based combat, I'll be VERY interested.
I was really unhappy when they took the best tactical TB game ever (JA2) and made it RTwP
Yes, same here, but to be honest, JA:BiA did let you (micro)manage your actions pretty thoroghly, thus making the RTwP combat at least manageable and bearable. Not as good as true turn-based, of course, but the next best thing, I'd say. At least I found JA:BiA surprisingly fun (with the lastest patch and Fog of War on).

Looks interesting. IMO, the sentence "Chaos Chronicles unites the typical characteristics of classic turn-based role-playing games with modern graphics and a gripping atmosphere" could be interepreted it does not necessarily have true turn-based combat, but has characteristics of turn-based combat. There's a difference. We'll have to wait for more info, but if it really has proper turn-based combat, I'll be VERY interested.

Back to the same old: turn-based, based on turns.

Hard to understand why players keep clinging to other meanings.

As long as a game is based on turns, it is a true turn based game. Or is there a subtelity I am missing?

Back to action is based on turns, not played turn by turn, but through a sequence of turns. Does not changed the game is a true turn based game.

I agree with vurt about it looking like Skyrim (and he should know, i think, having spent some time in the CK). I'm an old school gamer and I like rtwp. First time I encountered it, i thought it should be the future of all tb games.

Anything real time isn't turn-based since in real time you are not taking your turn but rather rather everyone does what they want in the time they have. Taking a turn means you do your thing by either selecting what you want to do or doing it while others wait their turn.

There is real time and what should be called turned based with pause (call real time with pause)

In RTwP, actions are initiated turn after turn, everyone has to wait for the completion of the previous actor's turn. But turns are shorter in terms of action completion they allow in these games.

Turn by turn: AP allows to move 14 steps.
RTwP: AP allows to move 2 steps.

The shorter turn allows to play turns in a sequence, which is better in terms of tactics as it brings manoeuvering to the front stage, as it is supposed to be when speaking of tactics.

Personally, I don't like Real-Time With Pause, because usually - and almost always - you can FEEL that it was made for RT combat, not for turn-based combat. The mechanics kind of feel just different, imho.
That's my opinion.

As long as a game is based on turns, it is a true turn based game. Or is there a subtelity I am missing?

Back to action is based on turns, not played turn by turn, but through a sequence of turns. Does not changed the game is a true turn based game.
Not sure I get what you're saying, but what I was trying to say is that Chaos Chronicles doesn't necessarily have true turn-based combat, but only some modern vague interpretation of it (hence the 'characteristics' quote), which could well be RTwP or something where there are no underlying turns dictating the action and everything is more or less real time combat engine-wise. A true turn-based combat, in my book, has definite turns where characters take their actions in turn order (derived from initiative, speed, or somesuch) and each can perform a limited set of actions within their own turn (whether limited by Action Points or a simpler Move and do one Action system) and the combat cannot be played in real time mode at all (which RTwP allows). IOW, there is a definite ruleset underneath the action which revolves around turns and the game is played in turns.

Back
Top Bottom