The TV Series discussion thread

5 more months *sigh*

You mean sixteen years since we've a Star Trek show actually worth viewing. I keep hoping someone brilliant and NOT currently affiliated with Viacom/CBS/Badreboot might glam on to the John Ford interpretation of the Klingon Empire, and make a worthy show out of that. His novel, the Final Reflection, is a stellar read on just how awesome the Klingon race is, when portrayed correctly.

I'll give Strange New Worlds a try, I'm quite astonished that, in this day and age, Nyota wasn't made male or caucasian. They do seem to try and mess with every classic character, so perhaps any alterations to her just aren't so obvious. Discovery and Discard are abject failures, and I expect that trend to continue, so long as the current regime continues.

Yeah, I even have issues with the TNG films because of how Picard was so seriously altered from the television series. Gone is the thinking, contemplating diplomat, viciously replaced by some low-brow thug that, at times, seems almost incapable of coherent thought, let alone actions.

I'm 3-4 episodes from finishing the last season of Mr. Robot. Still as great as I remembered it. Very cool emotional touches. And I knew the music was great, but I guess I missed some of the bangers they have in these final episodes, due to being too focused on the plot. Now that I know what's going on, I can just take it all in in a more relaxed manner.

It's great. I'm excited for the final episodes. There's only one low point in these episodes, that really seems either badly thought out, or should've been cut as it doesn't make much sense or add anything to the story.

I'm talking about the final scene with Darlene and agent DiPierro, where they mix up leaving on the flight. I really don't understand what they wanted with that scene. Darlene stays behind and Dom leaves to Budapest. Plus the melodrama of running to the terminal. I never understood why they didn't cut that, or just end their scenes in the series differently. It just felt soap-opera-y.

Farscape.
In ancient times when god walked on earth, the queen of scifi was Claudia Black.

Farscape was gone, yet noone managed to replace her on that throne.

I grew old and she became the queen of fantasy.

Only took eleven years but one of my favorite comic books called Y: The Last Man was made into a tv show. It was supposed to made into a movie but that was scrapped.

It's actually very good an almost an exact replication of the books. I recognized every character and even some scenes right away. Much better adaption then Walking Dead.

Looks like a very sexist series ;)
Well it is as a lesbian researcher killed all men. Nah the books never go into detail.

Seriously though the whole comic is a drama and the ending is a terrible tragedy.:biggrin:

Dr. Mann — the controversial geneticist sought by Yorick and Agent 355 who they hope can unravel the secret to Yorick’s survival — believed the responsibility lay on her shoulders. In her research into how to perform viable human cloning, she had gone to the length of impregnating herself with a cloned fetus, and the mass death at the start of Y: The Last Man happened to coincide with the moment she gave birth. Mann believed that with the birth of first living human clone, sexual reproduction became obsolete, and by some unknown biological trigger evolution instantly eliminated the now unnecessary Y-chromosome-bearing mammals across the world.

In this theory, Yorick and Ampersand were saved by accident, when Ampersand was dosed with an agent intended to sabotage Dr. Mann’s pregnancy, but instead of arriving at her laboratory the monkey was shipped to Yorick by mistake.

The second theory of note is somewhat simpler: The Culper Ring, a super-super-super secret spy organization that employs Agent 355, was preparing a chemical weapon to use on Chinese soil that would render anyone exposed to it incapable of producing male children. The weapon went wrong somehow, and resulted in the deaths of all mammals with a Y-chromosome. If true, it’s not clear why Yorick and Ampersand survived it.

The final theory was also related to the Culper Ring, but this time, it was magic. Agent 355’s last assignment before everything went wild was to obtain an object called the Amulet of Helene, which, legend held, would unleash a terrible curse if it was ever removed from the nation of Jordan.
None of them. The Y: The Last Man comic never answered the question of why every mammal with a Y chromosome died. In 2009, Brian K. Vaughan told IGN that one of the many theories proposed in Y: The Last Man was “correct,” but that he preferred to give the reader the freedom to pick “which one they like.”

Last edited:
Well it is as a lesbian researcher killed all men.
What?
The comic Y The last Man is not about that, no lesbian is responsible for the disaster.
If they changed it in tv show, then it's more retarded than the original comic setup.

Also regarding that spoiler, not all male mammals went dead in the comic. The protagonist who is male has a live pet monkey, also male.

What?
The comic Y The last Man is not about that.
If they changed it in tv show, then it's more retarded than the original comic setup.
Read the spoiler tags you fool that was a partial truth/theory one.:p

There are multiple theories but the books never answer the question. Also the actual plot is about a man child who must learn how to be an adult in the post plague world.

It has love, tragedy, betrayal, family bonding, and of course crazy women.

I don't think I hate the ending but I didn't really like it either, before finishing the series this was on it's way to becoming my favourite comic series of all time but the final few issues left me so dissatisfied. Maybe I was too naive to think that every plot point would come together at the end and that these characters would have an ending that if not happy at least rewarding.

Nah, I'm good.
Wrote before, the comic starts great initially but pulls the plug on excitment and goes boring over the course of six books with a letdown of a finale.
Not interested in it's onscreen adaptation, gimme some insane/pervy manga adaptation instead. Here's hope for Berserk live show with no censoring. ;)

Finished Mr Robot the second time. Still as great as I remembered it. It’s particularly a real trip to go down the whole narrative arc, and appreciate how beautiful it was woven. But, now that I saw it the second time I noticed some small pieces of dialogue or monologue that feel a bit awkward. Maybe it’s just me, and I’m just nitpicking.

I’m trying to think if I can name another tv series that I liked more, but I feel like Mr. Robot might top my list of favorite tv shows. It’s definitely up there with Twin Peaks and Leftovers. I feel it’s so much more than just entertainment. It sounds cliche as hell, but it really makes me think.

Other series are also fantastic, but they’re still purely entertainment, and don’t really get you thinking. Stuff like Breaking Bad, The Wire. Six Feet Under might be closer to art than these other two. That one also had a great ending, iirc.

I loved Y: The Last Man back in the day. I was a big Brian K. Vaughan fan at that point, but I was largely disappointed by Saga. I'm not too big on faithful adaptations, but I might check out the TV series at some point.

I've been watching the Burn's Muhammad Ali series for the past two nights, though I grew up in much of that time, there's plenty I wasn't fully aware of, or simply didn't hear about at the time. The episodes I've watched so far have been fascinating, and I intend to watch another tonight!

Back
Top Bottom