Last game you finished, tell us about it

Would you believe Civ 4? Though my main love is RPGs (with a collection going back to the early 90s) I has always been a sucker for the Civ games. Civ 4 appears to have corrected some of the bits that Civ 3 made very hard. Have you tried to defend when you don't have iron but the other guy does and nobody will trade? Defending and throwing units at a technological superior enemy is no fun. 9/10 for Civ4.

The demos for Messiah and Gothic 3 - not sure what to make of them. The Messiah engine runs like a dream but the story in the demo was very limited. Gothic 3 - control systems a bit naff but I think I can learn to use them.

Before that played BG2 - SoA using the Fade mod. Waiting for the extension of the Fade mod for the ToB part. Still a 9/10.

Oblivion is next on the list and perhaps KoToR or maybe the other way round.

Kotor was the last one, well didn't really finish it. Couldn't beat the endguy :(

Kotor was the last one, well didn't really finish it. Couldn't beat the endguy :(

What was the problem - once you figure out the 'strategy' it is actually pretty easy.

guess I never found it, made it untill where he regenerated the first time buy killing a prisoner and then died

guess I never found it, made it untill where he regenerated the first time buy killing a prisoner and then died

The first time I beat the game I did it by taking advantage of an exploit where you could use items without a 'turn' cost, then still return and get in attacks. But the main thing to remember is that you can always stop him from regenerating ;)

how?
and also, he did a lot of damage to me, I could hit him a few times and then choose heal or die
sorry for the of topic

If you go 'toe to toe' with him and his regenerative abilities you are likely to die. You can take out much of his 'first life' using ... um 'indirect' items. Then make sure you only have to kill him once - use whatever means are needed to keep away and destroy the tanks, then you can go at him directly. Depending on how you have allocated powers and attributes during the game it can be a fairly easy battle. Just remember that although he has considerable physical strength you still need to play the 'sorcerer buff / strip' game like in BG2 ...

how?
and also, he did a lot of damage to me, I could hit him a few times and then choose heal or die
sorry for the of topic

First you need to destroy these thingies (was it crystals?) that he uses to regenerate. Just ignore him and keep running around the room in circles and destroy those things that are mounted to the tops of those columns first.
Then make sure you use every available buff on yourself and every available DoT on the bad guy.

When that is done, keep running around the room in circles (up the ramp on either side, down the ramp, up the ramp again on the other side etc). The pathfinding of NPCs isn't very good so you will eventually gain some distance between him and yourself after a few rounds.
Now use the pause button every once in a while (when you're out of his range) and attack him ONCE, then immediately start running in circles again. Do that about 100 times (it takes quite a bit of time) and quick save often. Malak will drop eventually.

It basically depends on your offensive capabilities. It definitely sucks a bit that the whole game is party-based and super-easy up to that point. I barely had any offensive capabilities on my own character because I decided to make my NPC party members the damage dealers. I think the only attack that was not resisted in the end fight was Force Wave so I was stuck having to use that one. It's pretty low damage so it took me a very long time to defeat Malak.

That was not a very nice decision of BioWare to pull that kind of surprise out of the hat. Maybe it would have been better if you would have been able to pick the character that you want to throw at Malak because if you make a character that relies more on buffs, DoTs and defense then there's a good chance that you will have some real trouble with the end fight. What do they think at Bio? That we're Nostradamus or something? I hate it when a game goes "Haha surprise... neenerneenerneener you picked the wrooong skiiiilllls... neenerneenerneener" :biggrin:

It basically depends on your offensive capabilities. It definitely sucks a bit that the whole game is party-based and super-easy up to that point. I barely had any offensive capabilities on my own character because I decided to make my NPC party members the damage dealers. I think the only attack that was not resisted in the end fight was Force Wave so I was stuck having to use that one. It's pretty low damage so it took me a very long time to defeat Malak.

Very good point ... I guess coming from a FPS background I always set myself as #1 damage doer - even as a Mage I set up for attack and use others for buffs. So in this battle my first character was a Consular, but has maxed Force Speed and Dual Weapons as well as offensive FOrce Powers, so I could turn on speed, toss a maxed Wave to knock him back, then chop away with dual sabers for 6 attacks per round.

Very good point ... I guess coming from a FPS background I always set myself as #1 damage doer - even as a Mage I set up for attack and use others for buffs. So in this battle my first character was a Consular, but has maxed Force Speed and Dual Weapons as well as offensive FOrce Powers, so I could turn on speed, toss a maxed Wave to knock him back, then chop away with dual sabers for 6 attacks per round.

Hehe, I'm also coming from an FPS background but if an RPG offers up a lot of non-combat skills then I'm always extremely curious and tempted to find out how far those will (or will not) get you or what options other than combat will be accessible by making use of those abilities.
In other words: I sometimes love to intentionally gimp my character(s) just to find out how well the developers anticipated that someone would make such retarded choices as me :biggrin: .
Oh well, in the end it just took a lot of patience, but I guess I should have chosen Bastila or that old Jedi (forgot the name... Jindo?) for the diplomatic/defensive roles. Would have made the end fight a lot easier :) .

Oh well, in the end it just took a lot of patience, but I guess I should have chosen Bastila or that old Jedi (forgot the name... Jindo?) for the diplomatic/defensive roles. Would have made the end fight a lot easier :) .

Oh sure, can't remember the old guys name ... always the same for you youngin's ... see swirlin' destiny and think ... wait, what was the question ... oh, yes, my name ... Jolee Bindo ...

Oh sure, can't remember the old guys name ... always the same for you youngin's ... see swirlin' destiny and think ... wait, what was the question ... oh, yes, my name ... Jolee Bindo ...

ROFL... d'oh... yeah, that's it, of course. Well, at least I got all the letters right with "Jindo" :) .

Jade Empire: Special Edition (9/10)
A must for all roleplayers. Wonderful story. Gold as everything else from Bioware.

Cold Fear (7/10)
Average survival horror on a ship. Predictable. A few scares but nothing memorable.

i would agree with your ranking of cold fear but i thought the setting was a fairly novel idea. i can't think of any other game that captured the feeling of being on the ocean even close to as well as this game did with the occasional crashing waves and the constant ocean swaying that almost made me have to take dramanine. weather effects in games are always a serious atmosphere booster for me. the controls/weapons i thought were above average to for a survival horror game. but yes the story and scares were nothing of the memorable sort. but if you like survival horror games i'd say this game is a must to your list.

i would agree with your ranking of cold fear but i thought the setting was a fairly novel idea. i can't think of any other game that captured the feeling of being on the ocean even close to as well as this game did with the occasional crashing waves and the constant ocean swaying that almost made me have to take dramanine. weather effects in games are always a serious atmosphere booster for me. the controls/weapons i thought were above average to for a survival horror game. but yes the story and scares were nothing of the memorable sort. but if you like survival horror games i'd say this game is a must to your list.

I love horror games/movies and I tend to watch/play all of them, even the badly rated ones. The idea of a survival horror on a ship was exciting since it felt different. The concept was great. The ship was nicely done, as well as the other area... but there was something lacking from the game that made the whole thing feel uninspired and not that interesting. Overall the story did not feel great enough and the fact that you could not team up with the russian mercenaries annoyed me. And the whole plot felt cliché to the end.

One thing I never understood...
There are no ghosts in Cold Fear, but when you reach the small house above the rear of the boat for the first time (where you later find the colonel) you see in the window a flash of someone looking in. This is the only event in the entire game a similar cutscene can be seen. Who was the guy in the window?

I played Cold Fear.

I had forgotten about that game until you guys mentioned it, being a big fan of Resident Evil I thought it looked pretty good. I enjoyed it, but JemyM is right on about it being "nothing memorable". I thought the first few hours on the Russian whaler were the best part of the game. It was a neat touch to have to grip the railing when waves were slamming into the boat.

Doesn't touch Resident Evil though.:)

*edit* JemyM, I remember the part you're refering too. I never really thought much of it, I figured it was just one of those zombie things.

Last edited:
I just finished Jade empire, took me about 11 hours (split over 3 days). I would give it maybe 5/10. It was basically an exact KOTOR clone (which isn't a good thing), all the conversation options/story were basically the same as KOTOR and combat was even more simplified/action based.

I still don't see finishing it in 11 hours as a possibility ... unless you avoid all conversations and side-quests - and the fact that you hate KotOR makes the choice of even playing this game mystifying. I mean, it is nearly two years old, giving plenty of time to check a couple of XBOX reviews and see that you shouldn't expect anything different.

Anyway, I also finished Jade Empire SE, which took me ~25 hours. Still deciding on my overall feeling / scoring on that, which is a rarity - I like it quite a bit, actually more than I expected, but there were numerous drawbacks.

I have also finally finished Mazes of Fate on the GBA, and really liked it - it felt like a small production, and there were a couple of broken quests and inaccessible areas, but the overall feel really hearkens back to the good ol' days of RPG classics.

Also finished Scarface: Money. Power. Respect on the PSP. Should have been called Scarface: Suck. Suck. Suck. instead.

Getting close to finishing a few others, report on those when done ;)

Back
Top Bottom