Favourite time setting for an rpg

Sneaky_seal

Sentinel
What is your favourite setting? I think most of the RPGs are set in either medieval fantasy or sci-fi settings, so maybe you prefer something else?

Doesn't really matter to me. I like it to change up a bit so whatever I didn't play in last.

I prefer the era of good gameplay.

postapo.jpg

Just in case, it isn't clear from that, it's post apocalypse for me. ^^

Of course there are different types of post apocalypse. I like most of them but to me the most important part is the feeling of "an unknown" world, which might offer remnants of the past (like the situation in planet of the apes when you see the statue of liberty), the need for survival, making the best out of everything, the increased values for any goods, reconstruction of society, social behaviour and development of people, and melancholy / "depressing" memories of the past (like when you enter a house in Fallout where you see the skeletons of the whole family in bed as they took pills to kill themselves to not be confronted with this bad future).

This scene is representing quite well what I like about post apocalypse:

And while I like Walking Dead Stuff, I'd also like to see more stuff similar to The Fall -Last Days of Gaia, Burntime and so on.
For TV shows, Jeremiah was capturing the falvor quite well:

I love high fantasy set in medieval worlds. I like an occasional escape, but this is my overall favorite by miles.

I love high fantasy set in medieval worlds. I like an occasional escape, but this is my overall favorite by miles.

I like all settings if done right, but like @crpgnut; said, i'll take fantasy medieval if given a choice.

I would like more science fiction crpgs. We seem to have very little classic style ones and far too many action ones. Stellar Tactics is promising.

Alternate history ancient Greece. The myths and legends would be real in the style of Darklands etc

Arabian Nights style crpg or even action rpg.

Not really a time period but more forgotten realms, dark sun and planescape please

I actually prefer sci-fi, but it's very difficult to get right, so there are very few good sci-fi RPGs out there.

Definitely fantasy for me. Modern era and sci-fi are too 'mundane' for my mind, a game like Wasteland 2 doesn't work for me as I don't find shooting shotguns and rifles fun, not nearly as fun as casting fireballs and ice storms.

I've always enjoyed the fantasy medieval setting the most. My favourite games are mostly from Forgotten Realms setting so I guess that heavily influence my taste.

Medieval-inspired low-fantasy for me.
Or, rather, "middle-fantasy". Where magic isn't *that* rare - but not as common like in high fantasy.

I think that there haven't been enough games in alternate settings to say I like them.

For example, there are only two rpgs I can think of in Roman-style setting which are Age of Decadence and the one from Vogel.

In terms of Viking games, I can only think of Banner Saga and Expeditions.

So, it's hard to say.

Most games are either post-apocalyptic or high-fantasy.

My favourite games seem to fall within a range of eras and settings, but I really enjoy alternate histories, even when games aren't perfect.

That's one of the reasons why I loved Lionheart and Age of Decadence.
Although they are fantasy, they talk about the mythology and histories of their cultures.

Lionheart is severely lacking after the first city and Age of Decadence is certainly not for everyone, but both were very unique in their settings, which was enjoyable to me.

I've +'d all the people who said high fantasy in a medieval world, but I can specify slightly more detail for my preference within this. I want to do this because while in the high fantasy medieval kinda-setting, my favourite games don't really feel like they are in those settings beyond wielding swords and wearing armour. The one's I really like, atmosphere-wise, are the ones that tend to be set around demonic or heavenly or other otherworldy settings. Where everything is so alien but at the same time so familiar all in the same cupcake. If I have to kill humans too much then I tend to lose interest. If I have to perform too many mundane quests related to some form of realism then I tend to lose interest.

The Underdark, Sigil, Kuldahar, hell, Wraeclast, Avernum etc are good examples of taking the genre and adding enough to make it fresher than the feeling of location mundanity that generic fantasy tends to deliver, for which Dragon Age: Origins is your typical example of not adding enough inventiveness of atmosphere to make the world stand out or provide the necessary immersiveness.

Well, apperently we can see the answer right here - most of the RPGs are set in medieval fantasy setting because that is what the core (and I assume you guys are pretty representative) RPG audience wants.

Back
Top Bottom