The 26 Best RPGs @ GamePro

I doubt any casual gamer would ever include Planescape: Torment in a list. Or bother with lists, anyway. Unless he read something about it on the internet and wanted to make it sound all hardcore like and stuffs.
Mainstreaming gaming sites have plenty of lists. My guess is that torment was propably added to the list by a pure chance.

I disagree with your assessment of who belongs here, though. I'm interested in both areas of gaming.
The fact that somone is hc rpg fan doesnt mean that he cant enjoy rpgs meant for casual crowds too. As for casuals to enjoy hc rpgs - thats rare.

In general I dont think that rpg is a very popular genre in first place anyways. In mmorpgs roleplaying is limited even in the "official" rpg servers. Singleplayer rpgs sell better if they are more than just rpgs - if they include gaming elements that are more to the mainstream's taste.

Last edited:
The list might be based on what casual players think about RPGs. The people in here dont belong to that group. I doubt any mainstream player would even bother to register into any rpg site.

I must agree.

I see RPGWatch as kind of an "literature circle" among other gaming sites.

To me, this is something good, because I prefer intelligent, sophisticated discussions. :)

I must agree.

I see RPGWatch as kind of an "literature circle" among other gaming sites.

To me, this is something good, because I prefer intelligent, sophisticated discussions. :)

Me to
I can understand some casual gamers to think Diablo is a RPG but POKEMON?Even for casual gamers they dont understand what RPGs are.I think they added BG and PS:T just to satisfy us

Great guns, Suikoden III beating out Oblivion, Planescape: Torment, and any Baulders title??? It had some really original ideas and was worth the price but the ranking was far too high.

Well, although I disagree with lots of entries in the list, I'm one that has Suikoden 3 in his personal top 5 RPGs. (Gladius, PS:T, BG2 and KoToR being the other 4). Remember I said my 'personal' top 5. Although I agree FO1, 2 and 3 are great games and great RPGs, I just don't like the whole open-world style for some reason.

In 1998, Bioware set the RPG world ablaze with its AD&D based dungeon romp, Baldur's Gate

given that my number one complaint about BG was that it didn't have a single proper dungeon (not counting what came in the expansion pack), I'd say the writer is all kinds of fail.

I would be insulted, Thaurin, because it came from a so-called serious game site, with actual reviewers. I don't care if some random guy doesn't know up from down, like the comments at imdb/various forums/etc.

As expected, there we go again with the irrational name-calling. Such an emotional involvement over something so unimportant. :)

Incidentally, I quite like bloom, thank you very much.

Bloom is for barbie fun house only :p Don't get me wrong... I quite like games that looks good but BG2 was released in 2000, and oblivion was released much after that! That's not a fair comparison! And quite frankly... Im getting sick of games that "just" look good. Nothing else. Just pretty.

Back
Top Bottom