Indiegogo - What's Up?

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
I thought I'd check out what is available as games that are tagged with the RPG label on Indiegogo and found out that very few understand how important presentation is.
Here are a few games that I felt might spark an interest amongst the RPGWatch community and of which most will not get funded unless they present themselves a lot better.

Legends of Persia

20140110053743-LOP.jpg

The storyline revolves around Keykhosro, the son of the Persian prince Siavosh who was killed by Afrasiab, the king of Tooran. In the game you will have to deal with large amounts of enemies and fight bosses in order to be able to deal with Afrasiab.
They are asking for $5.000 AUD (currently at $35 with 50 days left) and with an estimated delivery date of March this year the campaign runs longer, which is somewhat odd.
Not sure how serious they are as they have not added any updates at the moment.
Catharsis

20140203011028-Catharsis_Poster_Finished_-_characters.png

A game labeled as an adventurous steampunk RPG, which will not only release on PC and Mac, but also on Android and iOS.
Catharsis follows the story of four citizens dragged into a conflict to save their nation; Rhogar, the engineer; Kay, his partner mysteriously brought back from death; Ares, a black market dealer; and Mathias; a bartender with a shady past. As they struggle to restore power to their country, they face off against the rich and powerful Count Arthur who has his own agenda for Textoria.
They are asking for $25.000 AUD (currently at $195 with 21 days left). At the moment their engine is ready and they now need to make the sprites, artwork and music to complete the game.
Like the previous game, they have not provided any updates, so that could definately be improved especially as some basic game information is missing, like how combat works to name one.
Varas - legend of a Thief

20140118185436-IGG_logo.png

A 'retro RPG pc game' is the subtitle of Varas, which is at the very least a referral to the graphics. It is a game about a young boy that is taken to be trained as a thief in which capacity he finds out more about the history of his family.
The description of the game is brief and incomplete and leaves many question unanswered, which is likely to be the main reason that up to now they have only reached 35 Euros from their 4500 Euro goal. With 22 days left they better add some improvements to this proposition or it isn't going anywhere, especially as the market for a game with this graphics style isn't that big.

20140212070112-1598299_10101777954468988_523311544_t.jpg

This developer needs funds to hire a development team as he feels unable to finish the game without it. There is a bit of information on the game, but it isn't that readable. It is a rather uninspiring Q&A the developer has with himself. The game is a turn-based RPG/Strategy hybrid using old school 16 bit graphics. The name of the game can be found back in the 7 kingdoms that make up the world of the game. Each kingdom has 7 regions and it it your task to free these regions with your team of 7, while also dealing with the 7 elements.
At the moment the campaign has gathered $61 from a desired $50K and with 46 days to go there is still room to improve the presentation.
Sierra Ops

20140114011738-poster512.png

This is a space RPG, which has already met its goal, but there is still some time to jump on the bandwagon if you like. Compared to the previous mentioned games this one has a much better presentation and some updates with actual information as well.
In the game you are a captain of the "Sierra", a battleship and … More information.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=25946

Last edited:
That Sierra Ops game is very interesting, although from watching the vid I'm clueless on how the combat really works.

Others look like a generic games made because someone didn't have better things to do.

The link on catharsis is not good, forum engine replaced two minuses with one long dash.

Thanks, updated the link.

Of the others I thought Catharsis could be interesting if presented better.

The first two games I covered before. ;)

I never heard of the last three though so thanks for bringing them to my attention. I also agree most of them need to be presented better. It's one of Indiegogo's main problems.

If you want to set your money on fire, give it to a project on Indiegogo. I forked over a nice healthy $50 for the Zero Charisma movie, which should have gotten me a hard copy DVD after 3 years, but instead all i get is endless facebook updates about how you can buy / watch it on netflix and its premiering yet again in some obscure hipster theater.

There is a problem with movies since you have to secure some whatnot region based rights on distribution, sending DVDs, and other different movie industry idiocy.
So far I've seen only in Veronica Mars KS project warning supporters before they donate that if they don't live in countries listed on the project page, it could happen they can't send them a DVD.

cpt, if someone pulled my nose like that, I'd turn to pirates for that movie. While it's not a proper DVD in it's fancy box you can get from pirates, hell at least it's something. If those moviemakers were fair, they would at least return you the money like (almost) every single online shop that can't deliver ordered and payed products for whatever reason.

I think the "flexible funding" model is a big part of the reason why Indiegogo hasn't caught on like Kickstarter. Take Catharsis as an example: they have a goal of $25K but they're flexible funding so they'll essentially saying "We really need $25K but we'll take whatever we can get.". Sure, it could be possible that a developer will finish a game with or without funding, but everyone is going to assume the quality won't be as good if the goal isn't met.

While it's true it's possible to have fixed funding on IG, some people probably don't know that so the damage is done.

Presentation is definitely another issue. I contacted the Catharsis developers about the gameplay mechanics and they told me it was basically in the style of JRPGs with an ATB battle system. That isn't even apparent from IG or their own website.

Last edited:
Flexible funding is a mistake in terms of direction for a crowd-funding site, and it's the reason I have never even looked at Indiegogo seriouely, let alone considered giving them my money. It's iust begging for failed projects and opens the door much wider for potential fraud. It allows everyone, including the folks pitching a project, to take said project less seriously, and that's not a good starting point for a transaction that is based largely upon trust.

Back
Top Bottom