Bard's Tale IV - Launch Trailer & Wishlist Unlocked

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep has a launch trailer and reached 300K wishlists which lowered the price to $34.99.

Wishlist Update - 300k Unlocked!

14 September - paul_inxile
We are thrilled to announce that the second tier has been unlocked!

In other major news, the launch trailer for the game has been released! You can watch it here:

More information.

I like the music at the end of the trailer.

I still cant get over that stupid party interface! I bet if this would be different devs and new, unknown game, it would be bashed to the ground by gamers, but now it isn't even criticised that much!
Wait! I just realized what it reminds me of:
it looks like cinema!And party are cinema attendants , who watch movie on big screen before them. And then time from time they turn around to player to say: ""shhh, please, keep silent, we are watching movie here""! lol

I still cant get over that stupid party interface! I bet if this would be different devs and new, unknown game, it would be bashed to the ground by gamers, but now it isn't even criticised that much!
it looks like cinema!And party are cinema attendants , who watch movie on big screen before them. And then time from time they turn around to player to say: ""shhh, please, keep silent, we are watching movie here""! lol

Haha, yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. Why not have the classical portraits at the bottom and then they can still have a visual representation in the grid above? Still looking forward to playing it, but that part of the UI will take a while to get used to…

Last edited:
I just went to their website and if you pre-order now, you have to pay $28 so what are they getting at with this wishlist thing?

I just went to their website and if you pre-order now, you have to pay $28 so what are they getting at with this wishlist thing?
Maybe you preorder through their site and you don't need to pay Steam's cut?

That would make sense. They shouldn't have to give Steam their usual vig if the sale generates from their own website, I would think.
I don't think companies need to give steam anything if they don't use steam to buy it. How would companies give so many keys to press and others if they would need to pay a cut to Steam every time.
This is why Steam disabled key that were given outside of Steam being part of the review score.

Posted under Steam comments:

paul_inxile [developer] 11 hours ago
Here's a happy surprise. Brian just posted this on Twitter:

"Bard’s Tale 4 ended up at $34.99 for a reasonably good sized RPG (40 hours+). If sales are good we will go ahead and create the Dwarven Dungeon of Haernhold for free.

We want you happy and when you’re happy, we get to keep making RPGs."

We are *very* happy with getting 2 out of 3 on the wishlist initiative, so it looks like if the game does well, everyone will get the DLC for free after all. Help spread the word and, if you enjoy the game when it comes out, please think about leaving a positive review! Beyond wanting the game to sell well from a company standpoint, I'm a Bard's Tale III fan, so I want to see the dwarven realm in BT4!

I am glad you posted this. It is $34.99 on Steam but $28 on their web page, so why would I want to pay more?

Not sure if I´d call it stupid, though it is certainly different. It feels a bit premature to pass judgement on it before I´ve even experienced the gameplay. Heck, it might even add a small bit of extra immersion, that you´d miss out on with just traditional portraits.
;)

Backed this and look forward to playing it. I’ll reserve judgement on the combat interface until after I’ve tried it.

I like the party interface, it's extremely flexible. Being able to change formation during battle seems like a huge plus, to me. It certainly adds another variable to battles and seems more realistic. Why wouldn't you move out of the way of an attack if you could? BTW, this was shown in the demo walk through trailer, not this one.

I just can't believe this is releasing a week before Pathfinder: Kingmaker; a week, to the day!

Well, it reminds me of the early phase when different UIs were tried out. Very early in gaming.

OS and Office software had a similar phase - I do know several DOS utility programs with really wacky interfaces.

What takes me a bit in surprise is that this game turns out to be a very, very British game. There are not many games which create this impression on me.

I don't believe the key will simply show up, you have to jump through some hoops to get it. I had to link my kick starter account with their website, and I hope I did it right. Guess I'll find out!

My slight concern with this one is the discord between the aesthetic and the content. Some of the graphics look very atmospheric, and the soundtrack puts me in the mood for epic fantasy, yet the interface and the interactions present a zany cartoonish tone. It's a strange bird, and I'm curious to see if it flies or hits the tarmac.

I got an email about thirty minutes ago stating that the next email I get should contain the key of my choice!! Still not playable until the eighteenth, but there is something satisfying about seeing a product sitting there waiting on me. =)

Cool. That narrator sounded like Brynjolf of Riften.

Back
Top Bottom