What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Antibodies
=======

A surprising good film from German consisting of intense, dark, cruel and twisty serial killer tale. It's almost as good as "Silence of the Lambs" or "Seven" (the film itself pretty much like an offspring from the two movies), but spoiled by an unimpressive ending.

synopsis

My girlfriend Tivo'd a an old movie called 'The Goodbye Girl', with Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason, and I was surprised how funny and well done it was. We just watched it yesterday, and it's a nice movie even though I don't usually go for romantic comedies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076095/

That was a nice movie - we saw that in theaters way back when ...

Finally caught Shaun of the Dead ( bribed the spouse with The Bourne Ultimatum-yawn) SotD was quite amusing, especially the ending. I think I'd put Slither just a half-notch higher on the personal zombie favorites list, but there was some classic stuff going down there for sure.

Does anyone remember that 70's zombie flick where a bunch of kids are trapped at a radio station? Was that Night of the Comet or something?

I don't like to repeat myself but they showed the new cut of Blade Runner at a locale picture house and we couldn't resist going to see it. The clarity of this on the big screen was breathtaking really.

Saw Jumpers last night. Interesting, but didn't seem complete. Read a review somewhere that said the movie seemed like an extended preview of a real movie. I think that sums it up pretty well. Too much "foundation" missing from the beginning, too much development missing from the middle, and too much "point" missing from the end. Might be worth a rental for those interested in that sort of subject, but wouldn't recommend a theatre ticket.

Antibodies
=======

A surprising good film from German consisting of intense, dark, cruel and twisty serial killer tale. It's almost as good as "Silence of the Lambs" or "Seven" (the film itself pretty much like an offspring from the two movies), but spoiled by an unimpressive ending.

synopsis

I wonder where you guys always find these German movies I´ve never heard about. ;)

I don't like to repeat myself but they showed the new cut of Blade Runner at a locale picture house and we couldn't resist going to see it. The clarity of this on the big screen was breathtaking really.
I´ve seen a detailed, high res comparison of the HD version with the old standard DVD somewhere on a specialized site. They wrote the picture quality is absolutely fantastic and the few dozen minor issues they´ve fixed (visible ropes, inconsistent tattoos, etc.) are also a nice gimmick.

Since this is, after all 'The Catch-all Film Thread," thought I'd post this link to the new
Indy movie trailer
This is the first I'd seen of it; it may be the same old formula, but it looks good to me. :)

Last edited:
I´ve seen a detailed, high res comparison of the HD version with the old standard DVD somewhere on a specialized site. They wrote the picture quality is absolutely fantastic and the few dozen minor issues they´ve fixed (visible ropes, inconsistent tattoos, etc.) are also a nice gimmick.

I have the new version at home which I watched before seeing it (yet again) at a local cinema the sound and picture quality well... it was just amazing seeing this film blown up. Needless to say I really recommend seeing it at a cinema if you get the chance.

Hang on it's turned into the Harry Ford Appreciation Club!

Yeah, saw the Indy trailer online, then on the big screen before Spiderwick Chronicles. Definite must-see for me.

Also looking forward to Wall-E, Dark Knight and the new Narnia. All with the whole crew, of course ;)

I'm very skeptical of the casting decisions for the new Indiana Jones movie, particularly giving a major part to that Shia LaBeouf kid. If his character is anything like the one that he played in Transformers I will be extremely disappointed.

I'm also looking forward to the Dark Knight as well, although I can't shake the image that Jack Nicholson burned into my mind of the Joker in the first Batman movie.

Shia LaBeouf kid. If his character is anything like the one that he played in Transformers I will be extremely disappointed.

IMO, that was his worst role ... but then the whole movie was paper-thin, and he got to have a pretty love interest and get a good paycheck, so what the heck ;)

As for Joker, yeah, I'm with you on that. I am just separating it out, sort of like the Batman of my youth ... never replace Adam West ...

Saw Stardust while cruising and really enjoyed it!!

Back
Top Bottom