ES4: Oblivion - Nehrim Interview @ Planet Elder Scrolls

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This one is from a week or so back but serves as a good reminder, with the English version of Nehrim: At Fate's Edge due around August. The German release of the large-scale total conversion has apparently been well received; here's a snip from Planet Elder Scrolls' interview:
What is your favorite location, quest, character, situation, etc. in Nehrim? (Multiple opinions/answers would be appreciated)

Benjamin: I love the scripted events in the quests, for example when different characters talk to each other and thus proceed the storyline. Speaking of certain situations would spoil a lot, therefore I will only say that there is a load of such events until you see the outro. It indeed feels a bit like Half-Life, because it all happens inside of the game and the player is standing admidst the characters (or is sitting in a moving object – thinking of Half-Life again? We can't deny the similarities, but this game certainly is not the worst one you can get ideas from.). Anyway, my most favorite moment takes place in the very last sidequest that I implemented. You are looking for a vanished person, and the only one who can help you wants you to rescue "his Waltraud" (that's a German female name) from some soldiers. Finally, when it is revealed who Waltraud really is, you'll have a very funny moment – that's pure slapstick.
More information.

This actually sounds really interesting, thanks for pointing this out, Dhruin. I am very impressed by the quality of the voiceovers (go to their site and watch the "Der Sprechtrailer". There have been plenty of AAA games that were FAR worse! Have any of my fellow german-speaking Watchmen played this? The website doesn't do much more than hint on the actual storyline, so I'd be curious to hear if it is any good?

This is actually one of the few reasons to make me buy Oblivion.

First I have heard of this, thanks Dhruin.

Looks like we will get English subtitles, very cool. :)

I played it for a couple of hours, still making my way out of the starting dungeon. Which is spectacular. Dark, moody, huge, with well scripted events, little riddles etc. Its pretty linear, but I'd probably be lost forever if it weren't since my only torch went out what seems hours ago. This is sometimes outright scary. If this is anything to go buy, this will be quite excellent.

A reader named Mark wrote in a few weeks ago and reminded me to keep an eye on the English release, so props to him.

Any other Germans play this? It certainly sounds interesting. Does the gameplay change or only the setting?

Yes I'm very interested to try this! Please do let us know when the English version is released!

A reader named Mark wrote in a few weeks ago and reminded me to keep an eye on the English release, so props to him.

Any other Germans play this? It certainly sounds interesting. Does the gameplay change or only the setting?

Well, combat etc. still largely feels the same, although I think they definitely tinkered with it, block feels stronger, for example. A big change is in the skill and leveling system: They made it largely XP based (although skill use still has an influence, too) and like in Gothic you get skill points on leveling and have to find teachers to spend them. you also only select your race at the beginning, I thik class election comes later (also a bit like Gothic). Also like Gothic there is little or no level scaling, but Regions with variable difficulty. Apparently they also added to the crafting system and much more. In one word, these people I would guess loved Gothic and Risen as much as TES and tried to put what they could from those games into their mod.

There is a nice comprehensive english (translated) review here:
http://sureai.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1498

What strikes most is the difference in tone and mood. There is a desperate, tense atmosphere from the beginning - the music, the much darker dungeon etc. create something totally different from Oblivion. Its like Batman & Robin vs. The Dark Knight. The starting dungeon reminds me a lot of DF's Privateers Hold - you really get desperate trying to get out of this Hellhole, and it just keeps going on and on. Some people will hate it, but this game makes it clear to you from the beginning: You want to survive? Work for it!

Back
Top Bottom