Skyrim Anticipating Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Out of curiosity did a dev or writer ever mention what actually happened on Red Mountain with Nerevar. I recently played Morrowind and went through the main quest pretty thoroughly and that question is never answered. You basically have two stories. One from Vivec and one from some soldier in Nerevar's army. Although I think Vivec was telling the truth, he doesn't explain how Nerevar dies. But I think it's sort of implied that he died from his wounds fighting Dagoth Ur. Vivec also can't prove the other story is false or why it was told. He mentions not knowing why that other story was told but maintains that it was false. Always wondered what really happened there.
Morrowind was a game that made you think about it. Can't say that about Oblivion...

Its also hinted that may be Vivec, Sotha Sil and Almalexia killed the weakened Nerevar since he did not want them to use the heart of Lorkhan.

From UESPWiki..

Nerevar was killed during or shortly after the Battle of Red Mountain, under disputed circumstances. He is said to have killed Dumac, the Last Dwemer King. In some versions, he rejoiced in the deed, and feasted on his heart: in others, Dumac and Nerevar had been allied, and the betrayal (by Dumac's minion Kagrenac), which led them into conflict, grieved both Nerevar and Dumac greatly.

In Ashlander texts as well as accounts by the Dissident Priests found in Vivec's temple, however, it is written that Nerevar was not killed in combat, but by his three advisors, Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil. In this account, Nerevar made them swear to never use the tools, and they obeyed, but secretly conspired to murder Nerevar so that they might gain power. When attempting to summon Azura, Nerevar was foiled; Almalexia used poisoned candles and Sotha Sil used poisoned robes and Vivec used poisoned invocations. Nerevar was killed. In retribution for their betrayal, Azura turned the skin of the Chimer gray, and turned their eyes fiery red. However, the Tribunal (that is, Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil) went on to use the power of the tools and the Heart to become immortal. Afterwards, they set themselves up as the new gods of the Dunmer, claiming superior divinity to the Daedra, whom the Chimer had self-exiled for the worship of. Eventually, their Tribunal Temple took control of all of Morrowind, becoming the monolithic and seemingly infallible entity it was by the end of the Third Era, and leaving only isolated pockets of Ashlanders to maintain the old beliefs.

For their treachery, Azura proclaimed that someday Nerevar would be reincarnated and would make things right again. This led to the persecution of followers of the Nerevarine Cult

Bethesda seems content to have TES fans speculate about what really happened. It's a good source of discussion at least...similar to the disappearance of the Dwemer. :)

From UESPWiki..
Bethesda seems content to have TES fans speculate about what really happened. It's a good source of discussion at least…similar to the disappearance of the Dwemer. :)

Yeah, I don't think they ever came out and said definitely with Nerevar or the Dwemer. My take on the former though is that his friends double crossed and murdered him and went for a power grab. Not only do the Ashlanders and dissident priests subscribe to this view, but Azura seems to as well and she may actually have some first hand knowledge. Of course she also has her own agenda that includes getting rid of do-it-yourself demigods so...

It's interesting though that we can still have these discussions and speculations about Morrowind even years later. With Oblivion you just never got that.

Skyrim story seems to have the potential to be great (from the little info we have so far) but I just hope they don't turn it into a bore fest like Oblivion.

Well fingers crossed for Skyrim :)

It's interesting though that we can still have these discussions and speculations about Morrowind even years later. With Oblivion you just never got that.

That's also why I'm really looking forward to replaying Morrowind. It's been 7-8 years since I've done a full playthrough, and there are lot of details that I can barely remember, or have forgotten completely.

Because of the amount of time that's passed, and the MGSO mod, I'm hoping that it will feel like my first time playing it again. :)

Skyrim is definitely the game I'm anticipating most at the moment. I get pretty hyped every time I see more screenshots and read more details about it. Perhaps its foolish of me - as I felt the same way about Oblivion before it was released. And we all know how that turned out. Maybe that's part of the suspense - will it be amazing or a huge disappointment?

I'm hoping Bethesda has learned from their past mistakes. Based on some of the interviews I've read they seem to acknowledge at least some of the failings of Oblivion.

Skyrim is definitely the game I'm anticipating most at the moment. I get pretty hyped every time I see more screenshots and read more details about it. Perhaps its foolish of me - as I felt the same way about Oblivion before it was released. And we all know how that turned out. Maybe that's part of the suspense - will it be amazing or a huge disappointment?

I'm hoping Bethesda has learned from their past mistakes. Based on some of the interviews I've read they seem to acknowledge at least some of the failings of Oblivion.

I think it's pretty safe to say it's going to be amazing. They have learned from some of their mistakes, level scaling and bandits in glass armour for example. And I doubt the main quest will be so repetitive as closing all those oblivion gates. But I think they still intend the same amount of hand holding sadly. There will probably be a quest marker that you can't turn off, and those point of interest markers on your compass, and a journal for dummies. And I just learned your health regenerates over time which I'm fairly appalled about. But that's a very short list of dislikes compared to the fact that I LOVE nearly everything else I've seen and heard about it.

Its going to be the biggest game of all time.

What I'd love to see is some work done with the toolset to make mods easier to coexist. As of now, you need OBSE, OBMM, Wyre Bash, TES4Edit, etc., to get mods to play nice together. Wyre Bash is especially complex, but almost mandatory if you're going to have 50+ mods in the game. Regardless of how great a job Bethesda does with the game, they're not going to match the needs of everyone, like the mod community does.

What I'd love to see is some work done with the toolset to make mods easier to coexist. As of now, you need OBSE, OBMM, Wyre Bash, TES4Edit, etc., to get mods to play nice together. Wyre Bash is especially complex, but almost mandatory if you're going to have 50+ mods in the game. Regardless of how great a job Bethesda does with the game, they're not going to match the needs of everyone, like the mod community does.

Agreed. It's a huge pain in the ass and it's probably the main thing that keeps me from replaying Morrowind or Oblivion every time I think about doing so.

Skyrim is paying off already , i have tons of fun mocking Bethesda in their forums :p
The cherry on top was comming back from p2 of my vacations last night only to read that it will be steam only, LOL it really made up my mood .,this can't get any better.
The game will probably suck and i don't know why you are excited .

Skyrim is paying off already , i have tons of fun mocking Bethesda in their forums :p
The cherry on top was comming back from p2 of my vacations last night only to read that it will be steam only, LOL it really made up my mood .,this can't get any better.
The game will probably suck and i don't know why you are excited .

I am personally really skeptical about Skyrim and don't even get me started on those Bethesda forums :p, but are you honestly implying that every Steamworks game without exception sucks? I really have to beg to differ with that.

I am personally really skeptical about Skyrim and don't even get me started on those Bethesda forums :p, but are you honestly implying that every Steamworks game without exception sucks? I really have to beg to differ with that.

Steam sucks and so does Impulse , i don't get why i have to install 3rd party software to play a game i also don't understand why developers are forcing legit users to search for cracks .
Why you are skeptical? skills and attributes are axed , there are only 4 fanctions, 4 armor sluts , quest combass ,no spellmaking , no mark/recall/levitate , no spears , no multiple ends , no, no , no ...so what's good in the game?

Reading posts here and there i feel like the guy in Braveheart tied down and gutted while screaming freeedoooooom , there is none, this team of liars have make a game very fragile balance wise and to keep things in order they will force gamers to play it in a proper way .

Bethesda forums is 200 times more retarded than Bioware's , last night the sheep voted en masse "NO" to a demo with the most popular excuse be "it will be to big to download" ; in a way this makes me think of the audience their games are targeting.

'It will be too big to download'

Uh, then don't download it but why stop everyone else from doing it?

Oh Bethesda forums, you so crazy. :p

Anyone getting the feeling that this will be the "last" TES game in the current "world/settings"? I think we are in for reboot after this.

Each TES games were about the prophecies from the elder scrolls and Skyrim seems to be the last of these prophecies. So an ideal time for a reboot.

Anyone getting the feeling that this will be the "last" TES game in the current "world/settings"? I think we are in for reboot after this.

Each TES games were about the prophecies from the elder scrolls and Skyrim seems to be the last of these prophecies. So an ideal time for a reboot.

I don't think the world setting will change, but they might change continents. Tamriel is just one continent on the planet Nirn, IIRC. Maybe we'll meet the Akivari in the next game; if they're not in this one in some form.

P.S. 80 days till the release of Skyrim.

This game is already sort of a relaunch storywise. It takes place much further ahead than the other games, which were relatively close time wise, and it takes place in a new era. The first four games were basically about the end of the third era. This is one is the beginning of the fourth era basically.

I don't think they would do an all Asian themed game. It's too different for them to do post Morrowind. Also humans are supposedly extinct in Akavir.

I could see them finally doing the long rumored Summerset Isle setting or even going back to High Rock or someplace with a 'familiar' fantasy setting to not alienate the masses.

Yeah, all of the other games took place during the reign of Uriel Septim VII (did I get the number right?), this is a bit of a reboot. Kind of like the Old Republic setting to Starwars.

I could see some colonist-themed Akavir game (is there anything in the lore that would rule out Tamriel colonists?) akin to the Imperial presence in Morrowind.

Yeah, all of the other games took place during the reign of Uriel Septim VII (did I get the number right?), this is a bit of a reboot. Kind of like the Old Republic setting to Starwars.

I could see some colonist-themed Akavir game (is there anything in the lore that would rule out Tamriel colonists?) akin to the Imperial presence in Morrowind.

Well the Nerevarine as Oblivion era supposedly lead an expedition there. And then there are post Oblivion/pre Skyrim events that would give good reason for a mass exodus, but that would be primarily comprised of Dunmer.

I still somehow don't see them doing a game of Dark Elves in Asia-land with Snake and Monkey people. I mean, I'd play it, but it's 'weird'.

There's a unsettling feeling I can't shake, this "Dragonborn". Bethesda emphasizes on you being the Dragonborn, born for greatness, power, or what have you. Although I may be proclaimed a savior, if I start out knowing that I'm destined for greatness, that sort of ruins the fun of unraveling my part of the story.

I suppose I miss the "stranger" feel at the start of Morrowind. The "hero" feeling in many recent games seem to either be overdone, or not executed well enough to give the player a sense of personal worth and accomplishment when learning about your involvement to the story and NPCs and your capabilities.

That being said, I think the "stranger" approach seems to fit them (Bethesda) better. I tend to find it more intriguing when I learn that my character is involved in a much bigger plot than it seems, rather than know it from the start.

On the topic of Skyrim (my apologies for getting a bit off topic), and aside from Bethesda's take on the Dragonborn, I'm thoroughly excited for Skyrim. Although, I can't say it has held my interest to the point of researching it for hours, but I do check in every once in a while to keep track of progress.

Back
Top Bottom