Galactic civilizations III announced

You're absolutely right, Derek Paxton was who I meant. And you're other points are also valid, my bad. I just happen to like GCII quite alot, although I agree MoO2 is still the peak to strive for. What I would like is a MoO2 with the scope and AI of GCII.

I never gave GalCiv 2 enough of a chance, because I exclusively play these grand strategy games in multiplayer - well, except as practice for multiplayer sessions ;)

I don't know what it is with me, but some 8-10 years ago - I just lost interest in singleplayer strategy games. Too predictable against the AI, I think.

I know the GC2 AI is sophisticated - but it can never provide the psychological satisfaction of working with or against another human being. I guess I just really enjoy that kind of interplay and don't want to do without it :)

I never gave GalCiv 2 enough of a chance, because I exclusively play these grand strategy games in multiplayer - well, except as practice for multiplayer sessions ;)

I don't know what it is with me, but some 8-10 years ago - I just lost interest in singleplayer strategy games. Too predictable against the AI, I think.

I know the GC2 AI is sophisticated - but it can never provide the psychological satisfaction of working with or against another human being. I guess I just really enjoy that kind of interplay and don't want to do without it :)

Perfectly understandable. I simply do not have the time, I prefer turn based games and they take quite a long time to finish by yourself against the AI. Against one or probably several other people we're talking a huge investment of time. I choose not to even try, because chances are I would love it...

Against one or probably several other people we're talking a huge investment of time.

i'm in the same boat. i love 4X games by myself because I can stop/start whenever I want.

it's a shame RTS games have gone to the wayside because they served up good 15-30 minute rounds to play with friends.

as for topic:

super excited about this. I have sunk many, many hours in GalCiv2 to the point where it's actually a game my wife knows by name (there are very few).

trying to decide if I should early pre-order - I did so with Elemental and while that paid off in the long run (getting all the expansions for free) it was a long wait for something playable.

hopefully Stardock are on top of it and build something solid.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say animated battles that look like Sins of a Solar Empire might be going too far? :)

I'm not real sure what they plan to do with 64-bit. GalCiv 2 could already make super-huge galaxies - so huge the game got tedious. Maybe they are going to put a LOT more detail into the planets? Perhaps make texture maps for them procedurally and save them away?

It's not 64-bit CPUs that will be the problem, it will be all the people who have 32-bit Windows and probably don't even know it that will be screaming about how the game is totally broken.

I'm very happy to hear about the game but I'm not real interested in multi-player. Stardock knows their AI, they should do fine. My main hope is that we get some sort of tactical battle system (preferably turn based). Something where firing arcs really matter. Those little video-playback battles did NOT do it for me at all.

I'm tempted to pre-order. Even after the mess of Elemental, Stardock made it right so I think my money would be safe (eventually).

64-bit is most likely about the AI - which is the hallmark of the GalCiv series.

Beyond that, maybe they're just helping to push technology forward - and I can only appreciate that.

64-bit is most likely about the AI - which is the hallmark of the GalCiv series.

Beyond that, maybe they're just helping to push technology forward - and I can only appreciate that.

Yeah, probably, multi threaded AI FTW. Just compare the late game of Fallen Enchantress to Civ 5, or Masters of Eador. In Fallen enchantress I actually spend most of my time playing the game, in the others I spend more time waiting for the game.

Back
Top Bottom