The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah the site used to show the video title when it was embedded, but that has changed due to an update. Either way please post the title or a short description. Makes it easier.

so why dont you click on the video then, since its not starting?

Because - again as has been asked of you repeatedly - people would like an idea of what they are clicking on before they click on it.

It is a small courtesy for you to provide since you are the one sharing something that you feel is of some value. That is all that is being asked - basic courtesy.

I thought Carell and Malkovich were really good in Space Force but the writing is all over the place.

Carell's character starts off as seeming to be a clueless idiot with the rational scientist Malkovich as leading straight man having to deal with clueless idiots in the military.

But as the series progresses we discover Carell's character has quite a bit of depth and the scientists opinions of themselves and decision making ability can just be plain wrong. He actually comes across as someone who knows his strengths and weaknesses, trying to get something done and stay afloat as the world tries to come crashing down on him. There's different motivations for all the characters involved and he has to juggle them.

Even the purpose of the Space Force is pointed out as a necessary evil in light of Chinese passive aggression in space, as well growing interest from India and pointing out the US has taken a step back. The US is clearly in catch up mode again. They point this out well even while lampooning it to the point of absurdity. I'm surprised Daniels managed to point this out instead of dismissing it altogether.

(for the record, I did witness first hand a small part in America's Space Situational Awareness program 10 years ago when the Chinese knocked out a derelict satellite just to show they could. I was interning at on a program that worked on it. The US stopped playing that game 40 years ago, and the Soviets 30 years ago as they agreed to stop - so now China started playing.)

Nevertheless its okay, until it goes the toilet when
Lisa Kudrow returns late in the series and it spends most of the episode making an argument for open marriages

There's also some real insight in how government and the military work with all the jockeying for position and backstabbing going on. I wish I could remember a couple of things I caught that I knew were part of the military culture that others might miss. The critics trash it because it doesn't attack the current administration as hard as they want.

I'm not sure I'm going to watch the rest of the series. I'll give season two a few episodes before I decide.

Yeah the site used to show the video title when it was embedded, but that has changed due to an update. Either way please post the title or a short description. Makes it easier.

That must have changed fairly recently, did it? I remember I used to write the details when I posted in the Currently Listening thread, but then I realised it always had the title on the video thumbnail, and I stopped bothering to repeat it.

That must have changed fairly recently, did it? I remember I used to write the details when I posted in the Currently Listening thread, but then I realised it always had the title on the video thumbnail, and I stopped bothering to repeat it.

If I remember the site changed the method of how the videos are embedded. It used to crash when you reached a certain amount. Check the RpgWatch forum it was mentioned.

I just rewatched Netflix's Dark Season 1 in order to finally watch Season 2, waiting for the final Season (it will air next June 29th).

EDIT: my bad here, third Season will air next 27th June.

Last edited:
A while ago Google changed their policy when using their API on accessing the videos. The policy included a limitation on the amount of videos that could be watched when using a free account. We are now not using the Google API anymore and that comes with one or two drawbacks.
I think posting a one liner of what the video is about isn’t too much effort and helps those who don’t want to click on any video and link without knowing what it is about.

Yeah, not a problem. I think some of us were just puzzled by why there were suddenly calls for video descriptions, when for a long time it was unnecessary. Loads of the Currently Listening thread will now be a mystery selection. :p

Finished Netflix's Dark Season 2 and immeditaley started to watch The Sinner Season 3. Great performances by Bill Pullman (as Det. Harry Ambrose) and Matt Bomer (as Jamie Burns).

Last edited:
Started watching the Russion robot series: "Better than Us." I like it. Was a bit disappointed with the seires being dubbed, but then I found on I could switch to Russian. Much better.

Regarding dubbing - in Norway subtitles is the norm, except for shows for children. So I'm used to subtitles. Seems to me that with a few exceptions dubing is done by 2nd or 3rd grade actors, it sound like they're just reading the dialogue, no feeling. So yes, I prefer the original language over dubbing. Besides, I know around 20 russian words.

Dasvidanya!

a pibbur who may have to take a break from the series when the Dark one arrives.

Dubs suck. Always. :)

Wrote before, I have a dyslectic best friend, if he could learn reading with more effort than I could possibly imagine and has no problems with subtitles, so can anyone else.

Then there is a case where people who watch are hearing impaired. Do they care about dubs or original VO? Or want quality subs.

Not everything is peachy though, subs by fans on legit sites like viki or youtube channels tend not to be always good. Either lines are too long for sakes of precise translation that wasn't necessary or times are too short to read anything.
The same fails you can notice sometimes in official subs on optical media too.

Finally I can't understand imdb allowing originalVO+subs as meritum to score movies/shows, here's one example:
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3605513/?ref_=tt_urv
How did this movie get a high score ?? Its in Korean and movies were you have to read captions make the movie less desirable in my opinion .The name of the movie is in English so one would think its in English right ? If i wanted to read the captions i would get the book . But if it wasn't for that then this movie would be really good .
Whatta joke.

The first Mad Max movie was partially dubbed because it is was thought by US studio executives that Gibson’s Australian accent wasn't always understandable.

Both my wife and I are ‘essential’ so have been going to work each day (I am working on pharma materials, she is a manager at regional SPCA shelter) so there has been less home binge time than for many folks.

A couple of months ago we found that IMDB TV (through Amazon Prime) was playing ‘Hart to Hart’ season 2. So we watched that. Then they started offering season 1 and we made it most of the way through that before it got pulled at the end of May. Now the Roku Channel has seasons 3 & 4 so we’re working our way through S3 at the moment …

In case you don’t know, it was a 1979-1984 TV series in the US centered around a resell-made rich guy and his successful author wife who are both very adventurous and seem to constantly end up in the center of schemes that involve murders. It is a load of fun … and some of the best of it is the easy natural chemistry between Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, the character actors, the constantly repeated filming locations (my wife last night “wasn’t that the flower shop a few weeks ago?”), stunt doubles who look nothing like the actors, and more.

It is great ‘comfort viewing’ and a nostalgia trip to when we were teenagers :)

Hart to Hart was a decent show, I remember watching it when it originally aired. I wasn't someone who watched each and every episode, but the ones I saw I did enjoy. I was likely....too busy being into mischief, or pen and paper gaming back then.

I just finished watching Barkskins, a new show based off the novel, and it was ok. If people weren't so timid it could have been great, and David Thewlis was criminally underused. It won't take up too much of your time, I believe it's only eight episodes, and it's a period piece, so make sure that's of interest before you decide to view or not.

I wrapped up the second season of Altered Carbon a couple days ago. It was disappointing. While the first season had a tinge of a noir detective story that I enjoyed, this second season felt very contrived and I never really made a connection with any of the characters.

Hart to Hart was a decent show, I remember watching it when it originally aired. I wasn't someone who watched each and every episode, but the ones I saw I did enjoy.

That is really a perfect description - I mean, they only rarely self-reference that every vacation they seem to take ends up involving wild criminal activities and murder and near-death experiences ...

We just finished up Sweet Magnolias on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It is a sweet, breezy southern rom-drama centered around three childhood friends all back in their hometown starting a business together in an historic house they inherited. Better than many things on Hallmark Channel ... and with an actually diverse cast appropriate to the location (Georgia).

Back
Top Bottom