A game everyone needs to finish before dying (ripoff PCGamer idea)

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Yea, I'm stealing their idea from:
https://www.pcgamer.com/what-one-game-do-you-know-you-have-to-finish-before-you-die/
Do please breeze through the article, you'll be surprised at their choices.
Recently obsessed with phone scamware and mmos, most of PCG staff picked singleplayer RPGs!

So, by your opinion, what's that one game everyone should finish before popping their clogs?
One title please, not lists. Yes, I know it's hard to pick just one, I could number at least a 100 awsome games, but this the question is one.

My choice (currently, not saying the future won't change it) is Fallout2. IMO everyone and their mother needs to finish it. Not just play for a while but finish at least once.

Hmm, the first ones that come to mind for me are some of the early Wizardry games, perhaps one or two from the gold box era, or any one of the Might and Magic products. However, if I were forced to really pick one and stand by it, that would be Betrayal at Krondor. For me, this game did a lot of things right, and being such a fan of the book series it fully immersed me in that world for many months. I replayed it recently a few years ago and it's still enjoyable!

I would say Age of Decadence.

I think as an Indie RPG it takes in so many elements of RPGs that are fun to me.
It includes multiple paths through the story. Different characters to roleplay (trader, assassin, mercenary, noble). Turn-based combat (which is my preferred combat type). Stat based dialogue. Some puzzles.

It's also unlikely to be seen as one of the many mainstream games some people will post here :D

Bioshock series
BGII
Witcher2
Tetris

Ultima 7.

It's number 2 on my all-time top PC game list. Number 1 is PS:T, but that game is not for everyone, among others due to the amount of text, so I won't propose that as the ultimate game to play before… you know.

pibbur who hopes to play a lot more games before the end of his world. And who was pleasantly surprised at the choices mentiioned in the article

I think it would have to be The Last of Us. It's a straightforward, linear game, proceeding from one cut scene to the next. But, if we're talking immersion and investment in the characters, I was right there for that one.

I really thought the experience was as good as any movie or novel I'd read for a while.

I'll have to invert Pib's choice; for me PS:T comes first followed by U7. G2+NoR would come third and daylight for everything else!!

There is no game more important than the game of life. Alas that is one game everyone completes upon their death.

I reckon, after several attempts at this life, we suddenly see the message:

CONGRATULATIONS!

LEVEL 2!

Jade Empire. ( I'm not joking around)
Game was not that great, but had a compelling theme, man vs. nature, you see rarely in video games.

Final Fantasy XXX. It could be a while before you can even start it so I would suggest getting good and healthy!

Gothic 2 and Night of the Raven

Pib stole mine as far as RPG's are concerned. Ultima VII+Serpent's Isle felt amazing to complete.

I'll select something slightly different here - Castlevania on NES. Definitely a stand up, hand in the air moment of gaming triumph for me.

Pessimeister, who thinks arcade game achievements can also bring similar measures of satisfaction that longer RPGs can.

Surprised no one said this yet.:biggrin:

Pathfinder:Kingmaker

This is something I think whenever I'm playing a game I've never played before and am really enjoying it: "I hope I can finish this before I die". Sadly I'm not playing any such games at this precise moment so have nothing to list other than my reason why I have nothing to list.

Planescape: Torment.

Because it's probably good preparation. :p

Back
Top Bottom