RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2013 Voting

Really? So Avadon 2 is unplayable due to graphics? Don't think you'll find much agreement with that position here.

Also, not sure if you were trying to exaggerate or what, but Avadon 2's graphics are closer to 1998 than 1988. You must have never played a game from 1988 if you were serious.

1998…you know, during that few-year period where most of the greatest RPGs of all time were made.

And there you have it... a massive rant about what I must be thinking based of presupposed assumptions from decades of arguments I've never been involved in.

No dude, I didn't say 'unplayable'.

This is a vote for 'game of the year'. ie: which games seem to be best when you consider EVERY aspect of a game in order to FILTER out a BEST.

Man, maybe you're right, maybe these forums aren't for me...

And there you have it… a massive rant about what I must be thinking based of presupposed assumptions from decades of arguments I've never been involved in.

No dude, I didn't say 'unplayable'.
What you said is "but none of them really look edible". I assumed edible was a synonym for playable, due to the context (obviously we don't eat games). I can't think of anything else it'd mean there.

Also, no clue how my quick post qualifies as a "massive rant".

none of them really look edible = they look like shit.

Oh, I'm sorry, am I allowed to use language you actually understand?

Gee, is it just me or does this person come across extremely unpleasant to everyone?? ^^^^^^

yes princess, I'm no princess ;)

sey'all laters.

Keep contributing all that 'keeping it real' feedback...

I played Avadon 2 - it's a real good game. The Geneforge and Exile series were better, but Jeff Vogel still knows all the CRPG notes to create a fine CRPG symphony.

The interface is well done and gfx are fine. What real matters are gameplay and story and Avadon 2 was one of the best in these categories in 2013. There was not much competition, though.

Really? So Avadon 2 is unplayable due to graphics? Don't think you'll find much agreement with that position here.

Also, not sure if you were trying to exaggerate or what, but Avadon 2's graphics are closer to 1998 than 1988. You must have never played a game from 1988 if you were serious.

1998…you know, during that few-year period where most of the greatest RPGs of all time were made.

1988 had Wasteland, Bard's Tale 3, Batteltech, Ultima V and Pool of Radiance, to name the cream of the crop. At least as good (I'd say better) than 1998, with Baldur's Gate, Diablo and Fallout 2.

Avadon 2 looks more like 1992 than 88 or 98. Sort of Ultima VII-ish. There's no denying the retro-looking graphics are a turn-off to many.

While Spiderweb Games (since Avadon 1 I think, maybe the latest geneforge) always come with sharp graphics on current resolutions without any shaders, other games like Baldurs Gate (old or new), Inquisitor or Divine Divinit look really old/ like a pixelmush as they were made for older, lower resolutions.

Personally I prefer the Spiderweb graphics and find pixelmush off-putting but of course tastes differ.

I don't think it should have been included just because it really isn't a 2013 game. I guess if someone loves the additional content enough then that would be a good reason to vote for it.
I agree that it's a dubious vote, even though the game got an updated version.

However, the game is on the list of 2013 games. I voted choosing from the list, not from my own subjective list. Otherwise it would look like the game was considered bad.

Avadon 2 looks more like 1992 than 88 or 98. Sort of Ultima VII-ish.
Can't agree with that. Avadon 2's graphics are way past 1992. Main problem is the games back then were in 320x200 (Kordanor alluded to this). The Ultima games back then were always way ahead of their time, so it's not the best example to look at. Compare Avadon 2 to other top-down games from back then like Darklands or Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and you will see.

Avadon 2 and BG 2 took up most of my playtime in 2013 last year, so they got the respective nods from me. Spiderweb games simply rock, between them and the Grimrock games I could play nothing else all year and be totally happy, if they'd crank out the games a bit quicker. Now, if someone would really rezz the Eye of the Beholder/Gold box games, I'd be a happy clam.

Now, if someone would really rezz the Eye of the Beholder/Gold box games, I'd be a happy clam.

Might and Magic X already gets close I'd say.
But yeah...would love to see a game with the EOtB Charme. Getting it to gog.com would be a start...

Isn't Legend of Grimrock a lot closer to EotB than M&M X was?

I'm quite amazed that the Eye series still hasn't made it on the current venues, especially a site like GoG. I'd be buying it so fast....well, it would be fast!!! And I'd gift like 10 copies at least, just to support the heck out of it!

Isn't Legend of Grimrock a lot closer to EotB than M&M X was?

This pretty much depends on the angle you are coming from.

EOtB had real time combat where you didn't need to be very fast.
-M&M has turn based combat, Grimbrock has twitch based combat (cycle around the enemy all the time faster than they do)
-EOtB 1 was in a dungeon only, Eotb 2 and 3 had outer areas. Might and Magic X is much more open, Grimrock is closer here
-EOtB has lots of things to find, characters, dialogues, special places. Might and Magic X has even more while giving you freedom. Grmrock has almost nothing to explore.
-Riddles with pressure plates and so on felt better in Grimrock as well as in Might and Magic X than in EotB

So I'd say EotB is somehere in between. The atmosphere is probably closer to M&M X, the pure gameplay is probably closer to Grimrock.

Of course this might very well change with Grimrock 2, which will also have an outside world. Looking forward to that one.

PS: I miss the westwood sound effects and music!

For those who want a little treat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_sLUsxDc1U

I got this quote off of a Grimrock let's play comments section:

"Looks like a pretty cool game. Only thing I don't like is how supposedly there's 4 of you but you can't see any of them. One of the things I like about games like Skyrim and Diablo is that you can see what the armor looks like on your character"

And I quote it as my feelings on the subject. Another quote I see a lot of on Youtube is:

"Oh, it's first person. Nevermind..."

And the whole 1st person vs isometric thing is such clincher for any topic about RPGs, because, on either side, you'll have people berating games based purely on the format.

Because 1st person came first, 1st person gets used as the 'original' or 'correct' method in debate. Isometric on the other hand was the big revolution which vastly expanded their niche appeal and made them mainstream entertainment (enter Diablo), so isometrics will use the 'stop using outdated mechanics' type debating.

I'm not sure which is 'technically' the 'best' or most appropriate, but I just find the isometric method less... claustrophobic... for want of a better word (there's no word invented yet for 1st person-a-phobia).

But yeah, it's a real issue when taking GotY results or voting into context as this whole issue has nothing to do with actual quality.

Hrm, never actually seen a discussion like that or at least can't remember. ^^
Normally it's the Shouldercam vs First Person, where I prefer the First Person cam a lot because it's more immersive whereas the Shouldercam is the cam for console players due to the limited control capabilities.

About Iso vs First Person...well...I think in most cases the games are quite different and the perspective is very important for the charme of the game. Might and Magic wouldn't be Might and Magic if it was Isometric, and Baldurs Gate wouldn't be Baldurs Gate if it was First Person.

What was first or older? Richard Garriott's Akalabeth is from 79/80/81 as it seems while Rogue is from 1980...no idea if there are older ones. But 1980 is already pretty old if you ask me. ^^

Back
Top Bottom