Command & Conquer Cancelled

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well another game and another studio is a being shutdown at EA today. It appears the next F2P Command & Conquer is now canceled, and Victory Games with it.

The fans and testers have spoken. If your making a new C&C make sure you include a single player campaign, and the cheesy videos.

Part of me is happy because I hated the direction the game went, and another part just rolls my eyes at EA.:roll:

A New Future for Command & Conquer

Generals

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

- Victory Studios
Link-http://www.commandandconquer.com/en/news/1380/a-new-future-for-command-conquer

Last edited:
Campaigns always were a important part of the C&C games, even for players who liked MP, of course people will hate this decision

Hope they decide to do a proper C&C Generals 2 now just like was the original plan before they announced this stupid F2P game

Great news, Tiberian sun has got me into strategy and PC games overall, and I put hundreds of hours in Red alert 2 backs in those days, I am glad series won't embarrass itself as F2P junk.

Oh, hell no! This was one of my most wanted games! :(

I've been hanging out for my invite since signups were announced and never got one, have no interest in a singleplayer campaign, and now the people who DID get in hated the game enough that the developers think "its not the game you want to play"?! Maybe invite some people who are not casual gamers in the 80% of people who play games on easy?

UGH!

Oh, hell no! This was one of my most wanted games! :(

I've been hanging out for my invite since signups were announced and never got one, have no interest in a singleplayer campaign, and now the people who DID get in hated the game enough that the developers think "its not the game you want to play"?! Maybe invite some people who are not casual gamers in the 80% of people who play games on easy?

UGH!
Really I'm a causal player because I want single player? Really.:roll: I just wanted the game it was first pitched as in the beginning.

PS- I didn't even bother with an invite as my interest was gone when they changed the game.

Really I'm a causal player because I want single player? Really.:roll: I just wanted the game it was first pitched as in the beginning.

PS- I didn't even bother with an invite as my interest was gone when they changed the game.

What makes you think I'm talking about you?

What makes you think I'm talking about you?
The tone of your post implied you hate single player, and those that wanted it ruined the game. I apologize because I know it's only part of your message.:blush:

Anyway I see plenty of people who hate and love this game on many different forums. I even talked to a few that had alpha access.

As a veteran since Westwood started the franchise F2P is not the way to go. Never was. You think they would of learned after making the fourth one a Warhammer RTS clone.

The free2play model was a bad idea. I totally agree. Judging by the Railgun general having exclusive and overpowered units, as I saw in a video, it was likely turning into a pay2win game. I'm sure there are many more examples of overpowered, paid generals, along these lines.

Regardless of this, they may have misjudged the game for a few reasons:

1. The people mouthing off angrily in the forums are not the ones enjoying the game. Those who enjoy it are in game playing and not in the forums. BUT...

2. Because of the very limited invites they sent out the people who do enjoy the game are having issues with long queue times and dropping like flies after refusing to wait another 20 minutes for a 5 minute game. The statistics look like people are quitting really early because they don't like the gameplay, but they're being misinterpreted as people actually don't like waiting for the gameplay.

It's not that I hate singleplayer - its that I love multiplayer! I play maybe 2 hours of an RTS games campaign before getting bored and heading online for some REAL action. The last RTS game I bought was supreme commander 2 and I never touched the campaign. I had a quick skirmish then went straight online and stayed there for months as one of the top players in the world. I can't help but see the Campaign isn't a real match - it's all timers and triggers that make the enemy send their attacks. A skirmish AI is actually trying to play the game but I'd rather play against a real player any day.

Why I'm annoyed is because I think that I am the intended audience and I was ignored. I'm sure I'm not the only person who was excitedly waiting for an invite that never came.The game was looking awesome! Giving me and others in my situation invites would have helped with the queue times. If they just went open beta instead of handing out so few invites that one never found its way to me, maybe they'd have statistics that showed very different trends.

I guess now all we can do is hope they re-announce the game as a retail title.

EA strikes again R.I.P. Command & Conquer.

"If people don't want OUR envisioned business model, then we'd tear down the whole game COMPLETELY !
Bad, bad gamers ! It's YOUR fault that C&C doesn't exist anymore ! You just had to give in into OUR envisioned business model, nothing else !""

That's what my "inner cynic" says to it.

People I know who play free2play regulary would never play games like C&C. As a fan of original C&C I might be interested but I dont like free2play. So Im not sure what the target audience is.

Free2play is not free imho. Its more like pay more and get less.

Generic rts wont sell because there are options that offer more nowadays. C&C could have been interesting if it had gone the way of wargame: airland battle or dragon commander. More sim oriented or with roleplaying elements. And a strategy layer on top like cherry.

But instead they chose the way to get most money out of customer while providing the least value so im glad they are R.I.P.

Couple of related quotes…

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish
Today, 08:40 AM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say that it has been a pleasure working on this game and I hope you all have enjoyed the closed alpha!

This isn’t official or anything, but you probably saw that our whole team got the ax. I hope you understand that we at VG all were dedicated to making a game for all of you to play, and that the press release line was total b.s. It was NOT any feedback from the alpha that shut this project down but just petty corporate politics and shenanigans.

We were all shocked and confused to find out that our studio is closed (and that we are all out of jobs!), but I am happy to see that the game is still up and running RIGHT NOW and that a lot of people are still having fun with it. Please enjoy the live game until they figure out how to turn off the servers (it might be a while)!

Cheers,
B

Tim Morten said:
I write this not as EA_Tim, but as private citizen Tim Morten, and this will be my final post in these forums.

I want to express my sincere thanks to the many community members who participated in the alpha. Just as the project was a labor of love for the team, I know those of you who poured hours into giving us feedback share the team’s disappointment about the cancellation.

As a project and as a team we were committed to striving for excellence, and though there will always be detractors, I sincerely believe that we were on the way to creating something great. I’m sad that we didn’t get to complete the journey with you – whether you were our staunchest supporter or our harshest critic, you have my personal thanks for participating, and I wish you all the best.

Farewell,

Tim

Bold added by me

Well EA axed it due to the recent financial earning report. Dragon Age: Inquisition looks like it's being pushed back another year now also. This is the reality of the publishing business.

Back
Top Bottom