Anyone playing GW2?

I read somewhere that MMO players are willing to watch paint dry provided it leads to something, and that something is deemed worthwhile. In other words it’s the big picture that matters in MMO and not the little things. Recent games like GW2 feels “shallow” since they are trying to perfect the little things (and in some cases succeeded) but fails to provides worthwhile big picture.

GW1 worked fine without any big pictures.

I think, for me, GW1 worked mostly due to how you could push yourself to find new builds to solo areas with. Or to come up with a great party dynamic with how your Heroes' skills meshed with one another to create a bastion of awesomness.

So, yeah, the variety in skills, the tactics involved in using those skills staved off any apparent lack of "big picture" content. Of course, GW2 has little to no variety in skills and tactics, so it has to rely on content updates and chasing its own proverbial tail.

Of course, GW2 has little to no variety in skills and tactics, so it has to rely on content updates and chasing its own proverbial tail.

No idea what you've been doing in GW2 Drithius, but from my experience GW2 require a lot more tactics than GW1 did. I switch utilities/weapons much more often in GW2 as well. Never had to change my Warrior in GW1, unless I needed a gimmicky skill to beat an encounter.

Also, the bots are gone now.

I said MMO players and *I* don't consider GW1 to be a MMO in the same way as I don't consider Diablo, or LoL to be MMO :)

The above point may sounds silly but I think part of the problem we have is that so many different types of online/multiplayer games are being lumped together into one classification these days, namely "MMO". I think a narrow definition of MMO is needed avoid confusion.

Just to avoid any confusions, I don't consider GW1 or G2 to be bad games. They are pretty good at what they do. I have played them both and I had fun but I don't play them any more.

I said MMO players and *I* don't consider GW1 to be a MMO in the same way as I don't consider Diablo, or LoL to be MMO :)

My comment was more that GW2 is based on GW1 design and that GW1 proved that you didn't need a bigger picture to keep people playing. It's more that people are programmed since WoW to play a certain way…and it just doesn't work with GW2. Check this guy explaining how is 5 years old play.

Doesn't have much to do with MMO (which, I agree, needs a narrower definition).

The above point may sounds silly but I think part of the problem we have is that so many different types of online/multiplayer games are being lumped together into one classification these days, namely "MMO". I think a narrow definition of MMO is needed avoid confusion.

errr.... No! Have you heard about "sets" and "subsets"? Set called "Single Player Games" have many subsets. So does set called "MMOs".

Just to avoid any confusions, I don't consider GW1 or G2 to be bad games. They are pretty good at what they do. I have played them both and I had fun but I don't play them any more.

My same feelings. I totally recommend GW2 to anyone, just don't expect to be playing it for too many months.

Seems likes they are working on "improvements".

One of them is no more rez rushing in dungeons. Should force people to learn to play I guess.

I find the title of this thread interesting. You see I bought and installed the game, but it won't play on my Win 7 PC. It freezes at the character screen and crashes. I've sent 2 crash reports in and had ZERO response. It runs fine on my old Vista laptop, but not on my PC. My son who is an IT consultant has been over my PC with a fine tooth comb cleaned everything out that needed cleaning, updated everything which could be updated and done everything he could think of, yet it will not run!! So, am I playing GW2? No!! Pity, looked like it might be fun!!

GW2 works fine on my Win 7 64bits. Sorry to hear about that. Seems like some others had similar issues (there are other threads about freeze and crash too). Most people seems to have fix their problem by deleting the local.dat in their GW2 installation.

Otherwise try a refund directly from Anet I guess.

Those suggestions did not work.

I've had similar problems in the past with other games, and 2 things usually cause that.
- One, the firewall is blocking something and the game doesn't gracefully detect that. To check this, disable your firewall temporarily and run the game again just to see.
- Two, maybe there's some invisible notification that's waiting for your response and freezes the game or makes it look like it's frozen. To check this it sometimes helps to run the game in windowed mode instead of full screen. Also, right-clicking the game and choose (run as administrator) if the notification is windows access related.

I have turned off all firewalls, malware filters, etc and it makes no difference. I always run in admin mode and there is no possible input since I click play, it usually loads the char select page and is frozen. Task manager shows it as Not Responding and the crash log (which I've sent in twice with no response) shows an assertion error. Everything else I have runs perfectly.

My son who is an IT consultant has been over my PC with a fine tooth comb cleaned everything out that needed cleaning, updated everything which could be updated and done everything he could think of, yet it will not run!!
Fire him! :D

I don't have GW2, but the thing you've describing somewhat looks similar to problems a friend of mine had with LoL. The game would crash after choosing the hero and starting the map.
The cause was nvidia gfx card in his laptop, and kill me but I can't remember which exactly Acer Aspire model it was - all I can remember the card was 7000M. It was never fixed by the game developer or by nvidia driver. I've checked League of Legends forums frequently, after each patch. The solution? There actually is - reverting back to win XP!

I've browsed GW2 forums a bit, and before you get your son fired, ask him to mess a bit with your registry. Setting some things there helped some ppl who also had a problem of game crashes after choosing the char:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7951;forum=1;msg=130727

It helped in this case for example:
http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=7951;forum=1;msg=130491

I've tried running in compatibility mode with no success. He's messed with the registry as well, and while the crash log looks a lot like mine, I'm not running a mac. I'll forward him the link though, so thanks.

This may seem silly...but have you tried uninstalling the game, deleting the folder and all registry entries then installing it again?

Back
Top Bottom