Dungeons & Dragons - Warner Bros. To Make D&D Movie

Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies. Or did you mean a movie branded with the D&D license? Because those are far grimmer prospects :)

I've been sitting and trying to think of a half decent movie or show that's affiliated with D&D. The closest I could come up with are the decent anime (not amazing, but decent) Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. They aren't officially licensed, but they're openly based on a series of D&D campaigns in an original setting.

Any other thoughts? Books and video games don't count.

Another Drek & Drivel movie? Oh boy, can't wait…

Last edited:
I've been sitting and trying to think of a half decent movie or show that's affiliated with D&D. The closest I could come up with are the decent anime (not amazing, but decent) Record of Lodoss War and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. They aren't officially licensed, but they're openly based on a series of D&D campaigns in an original setting.

Any other thoughts? Books and video games don't count.
The D&D cartoon from the 80s is very good.

Oh so they did release the third one after all. I thought it had remained in release limbo.

I only saw parts of the original movie as well as Wrath of the Dragon God. Both were so bad to me that I couldn't sit through them.

We already have The Gamers and JourneyQuest. :)

Courtney Solomon is an atrocious director. Worse than his Dungeons & Dragons movie was his An American Haunting pile of steaming crap.

Well, there is a Warcraft movie in the work too, it needs company at the bottom of crap movies…

Dungeon Siege was so great wasn't it?

Conan the Barbarian is one of my favorite movies. Or did you mean a movie branded with the D&D license? Because those are far grimmer prospects :)

I often think that D&D in general is more based on the King Conan original short story of Conan where the aging ex-Barbarian king's empire collapses and he is captured and subject to a Wizard's grotesque experiments and entertainment. I believe that was the Conan that was in consideration before Arne became my governor.

Yeah, that was awesome …. or not. Hard to believe Gygax actually was involved in this show. Honestly I liked Futurama's take om D&D much better.

I agree with you on both counts; although the Futurama fans in general despise that episode. Its one of my favourites.

The script and screen play for a D&D movie would not be that hard. Follow a group of people just starting out on an adventure. For old players like me, have it based on Keep on the Borderlands or some other classic module.

Give a shout out to Gary Gygax. People need to understand that a simple plot with good story telling and acting would have the best chance to succeed. They will mess it up most likely.

There were a number of those type of films at the time cashing in success of Conan. There's not much entertainment value in watching a bunch of stiffs slog through a dungeon unfortunately.

I heard The Sword and the Sorceror was good. Prett bloody.

btw, Save Arneson made an appearance in the D&D movie. I think he regretted the movie though it had been in the works for ages and there was some sort of dispute.

I swear someone here suggested the creation of D&D itself would have been a good idea for a movie.

I think the fantasy setting is very popular right now with LOTR and Hobbit doing so well. These execs really don't know all that much about "D&D", but figure it's an established franchise so why not try to cash in?

What they should be looking at is perhaps making the Dragonlance franchise, or something similar.

They would work as TV shows methinks. Eberron is just not D&D enough IMO - its more to the liking of Steampunk or the Age of Legends in Wheel of Time. Maybe they should get Salvatore or a Salvatore based script. That worked very well for BG.

Really, though, I don't think the Hobbit is doing nearly as well as they hoped.

As much as I feel confident this will suck in a very big way - I'd still be more interested in a D&D movie than the next Hobbit movie from PJ.

I like Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God. It's cheesiness was part of it's strength because it were allowed to take itself less serious. D&D:WotDG was more like a group of roleplayers decided to make a movie and go nerdy about it.

Have anyone seen Dragonlance Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2008)?

I am Elminster of Shadowdale, called by some the Old Sage, and called far worse things by others. I've walked these realms for over a thousand years. Yet, I am far from the oldest, wisest, or mightiest being to walk the ground of Faerûn with my well-worn boots—and that is truth. But if ye learn the long history of my deeds, ye'll know precisely what I stand for and what I am. And that's a rare and precious thing, knowing yourself. Do ye know exactly what ye stand for?

The movie must be forgotton Realms and it has to include this guy because he has been there thru almost all of it. They need to use a setting most have heard of. Just don't cast Nicolas Cage in the part.

Have anyone seen Dragonlance Dragons Of Autumn Twilight (2008)?

I (unfortunately) bought the DVD. I love Dragonlance Chronicles, but that animated movie is horribly, awfully, dreadfully done.

Really bad. I strongly suggest skipping it entirely. Re-read the book instead.

Back
Top Bottom