Project Eternity - $1.6M, Mac version and more unlocked

I haven't heard it either until a few days ago and I own D&D manuals, played D&D games and followed D&D news (WotC and customs stuff) for about 15 years now.

I've been playing DnD since the first edition in the late 70's and that term is new to me too. Internet memes/invented words are just that.

Feargus has never heard the term Vancian Magic?!?

*head spins*

Yeah I ended up reading the Dying Earth novels by Jack Vance because they're nodded to in the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons. Upon reading the first story in them I looked at the date of publication and said "Oh, well I always wonder where the heck the D&D designers came up with that goofy magic system."

I've been playing DnD since the first edition in the late 70's and that term is new to me too. Internet memes/invented words are just that.

Never heard of it either. Still have no idea what it is. I suppose I'll have to look it up at some point.

I contributed $500 a couple days ago. The Infinity Engine games are my favorite CRPGs ever (with Spiderweb's games right behind them). I'm confident these guys are going to bring us something special.

Never heard of it either. Still have no idea what it is. I suppose I'll have to look it up at some point.

It means its derived from the magic described in the Dying Earth stories by Jack Vance - hence "Vancian." The short stories, originally published as early as 1950, described a world in which wizards had to commit spells to memory and where the spells left their memory whenever cast - as well as a host of other things which would be very familiar to anyone playing old school dnd. Some of the names names, purpose-built nature, and finite number of memorization "slots" were derived from these novels.

The books are an interesting read, and additionally amusing for anyone who has played DnD.

It means its derived from the magic described in the Dying Earth stories by Jack Vance - hence "Vancian." The short stories, originally published as early as 1950, described a world in which wizards had to commit spells to memory and where the spells left their memory whenever cast - as well as a host of other things which would be very familiar to anyone playing old school dnd. Some of the names names, purpose-built nature, and finite number of memorization "slots" were derived from these novels.

Yeah I figured that out on my own. The adjective "vancian" is a new made up word, though.

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's not a thing.. :p

The average player may not have stumbled across it, but a game designer who was involved in D&D related projects in the past decade I figured would. It's not a "meme" or whatever. It's a descriptor that has been used in common parlance when discussing RPG magic systems for at least 15 years.

Also, the fact that this conversation is going on is silly. Arguing about an adjective.

Also, for 140.00, you will be able to get in on the beta!

Where do you see that?

Pledge $140 or more

Previous reward tier + we will upgrade your box to a COLLECTOR'S EDITION BOX. You will find a CLOTH MAP OF THE GAME WORLD and the PROJECT ETERNITY CLOTH PATCH inside the box. The collector's edition box will include a cloth map just like the old RPGs that we love. The game patch is an embroidered high quality non-iron on patch. Game patches are a tradition at Obsidian, and we want to share that tradition with you! Please add $20 for international shipping.

Granted, I'm considered buying that just for the cloth map! I think the last game I played with one of those was IWD.

Where do you see that?

Granted, I'm considered buying that just for the cloth map! I think the last game I played with one of those was IWD.

Check the images on the "front page" of the kickstarter and/or read update #4. You can't update the text under the reward tier once they are created, but most of the time dev add stuff to them. So it's better to follow the official "images".

Back
Top Bottom