RPGWatch Forums - View Single Post - What games are you playing now?
View Single Post

Default What games are you playing now?

March 28th, 2020, 04:32
Originally Posted by wiretripped View Post
Got a brand new computer for Christmas, so finally spun up that one game I had been waiting to play until my system could handle it: The Witcher 3.

I feel like I only just started it, and yet according to GOG Galaxy I'm already 70+ hours in, and I feel like I only barely scratched the surface. So that's a good thing, right? And yet, I can't help but feel slightly disappointed after all the hype. It's a pretty game (though not as awesomesauce as I was expecting), but the exploration (or lack thereof) and lack of meaningful loot (yuck for level-gated gear) waters the entire experience down. I disabled the markers on the map, but still, now I find myself running from peasant to strumpet to ensure I don't miss a quest.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it could be better; as an "action-RPG", it definitely doesn't dethrone Gothic 2 imho.
As for positives so far, story and atmosphere are top notch, and I am loving the quests. Then again, I am a sucker for this sort of setting: gritty, morally grey with lots of political intrigue.

I've only just made it to Novigrad, so I am curious to see how the story develops. Speaking of Novigrad, damn, as far as a city in a game goes, it's probably one of the best and most realistic I've seen.
Do yourself a favor and try to play it more organically. What I mean is, don't make it a point to talk to every single non-essential NPC for fear of missing a sidequest. You'll just end up overleveled and likely feeling burned-out before you reach the end. Just go where the story takes you and do the side content that seems the most interesting.

It's very different from something like Gothic 2, and you'll end up disappointed if you try to play it the same way.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
+1: