Cyberpunk 2077 - Coming to Google Stadia

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
It is official now, Cyberpunk will also be available on Google Stadia.

Cyberpunk 2077 coming to Google Stadia

CD PROJEKT RED announces Cyberpunk 2077 for Stadia -- the cloud-based gaming platform from Google.

Gamers will be able to enjoy the immersive first-person RPG, its mature narrative, and cutting-edge visuals across dozens of supported devices.

Cyberpunk 2077 is an open-world, action-adventure story set in Night City, a megalopolis obsessed with power, glamour and body modification. You play as V, a mercenary outlaw going after a one-of-a-kind implant that is the key to immortality. You can customize your character's cyberware, skillset and playstyle, and explore a vast city where your choices shape the story and the world around you.

Cyberpunk 2077 will release April 16th, 2020, for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The Google Stadia version will launch the same year -- additional details will be made available at a later date.

More information.

This will give Stadia tons of subscriptions. 10€ a month to be able to play Cyberpunk on my tablet at max settings on the way to work, without even having to buy the game? Yes please.

As I understand it, the games don't come included with the Stadia subscription. You still need to buy them separately, at the same price as a console game.

I really hope @Nereida; isn't driving to work!!
As I understand it, the games don't come included with the Stadia subscription. You still need to buy them separately, at the same price as a console game.
Depends. If you use the free version of Stadia (max of 1080p, stereo sound - which is plenty for a tablet) then there's no discount on the games. If you're paying $10/mo then there's "a discount." I don't think we know anything about that discount so it could be anything from "half off on day one" to "1% off some games, eventually."

The main thing you get is that you don't have to buy/maintain a PC. You can have mobility, too, but only if you can maintain a pretty good connection.

Judging by this article here, 1080p will require anywhere from 10-20Mbps. This is pretty steep for the majority of the US w/ antiquated tech backbones. Then there's the issue of latency between consumers and Google's computer centers.

It should be interesting to see how this all pans out, but I for one won't be holding my breath.

I really hope @Nereida; isn't driving to work!!

Depends. If you use the free version of Stadia (max of 1080p, stereo sound - which is plenty for a tablet) then there's no discount on the games. If you're paying $10/mo then there's "a discount." I don't think we know anything about that discount so it could be anything from "half off on day one" to "1% off some games, eventually."

The main thing you get is that you don't have to buy/maintain a PC. You can have mobility, too, but only if you can maintain a pretty good connection.

Thanks for the info - I didn't know about the discount.
I'm vaguely interested in Stadia because my PC is old and slow and I'm too skint to upgrade any time soon. It will be interesting to see the reviews, especially with regards to lag etc.

Stadia can and will work for Farmville and casual easy-on-hardware crap.
But then, there are phones for that.

In other words, it can't deliver 1080p/60FPS with hairworks enabled experience to 100K people at the same time and as such it'll die.

Stadia can and will work for Farmville and casual easy-on-hardware crap.
But then, there are phones for that.

In other words, it can't deliver 1080p/60FPS with hairworks enabled experience to 100K people at the same time and as such it'll die.
I also doubt very much that Stadia can deliver a low-latency experience for games that have such high system requirements. For things that demand such low latency (many online games), Stadia will probably never work.

However, I'm not sure Cyberpunk 2077 will require such a latency.
And neither do the majority of other games people play, and therefore Stadia will certainly not die - at least not because of that particular issue.
I have a lot of friends who would like to play the newest games but are too lazy or poor or both to take care of the proper hardware themselves - Stadia is just the right thing for people like that.

What I find more fascinating about this is that Stadia servers run Linux & Vulkan and therefore Cyberpunk 2077 should also run on Linux, at least via Steam Play/Wine (due to Vulkan support)?

I think it could work as it should in The Netherlands, as we have a good internet backbone and a lot of areas in The Netherlands have access to fiber optics cabling, resulting in the low end offerings being 50 Mb/s and the high end being 500 Mb/s. There probably are more locations in the world like that.

As to Google being able to deliver this to large amount of people. I think they can as they have large server centers in many countries, where they can utilize this. After all they don’t need a server per person to pull this off. However if you are in a country without a good internet connection and/or pinging the nearest Google server center takes some time, this probably will not work as intended.

What I find more fascinating about this is that Stadia servers run Linux & Vulkan and therefore Cyberpunk 2077 should also run on Linux, at least via Steam Play/Wine (due to Vulkan support)?

Yes, that could be interesting - many major games will now be ported (or even built for Linux as the lead platform) for Google Stadia. I could imagine that the custom Stadia systems are not exactly the same as general Linux systems, but if the game is running on Stadia, it would likely be a small task to adapt it for general Linux release. At the very least, it will probably remove the problem of games using middleware that is not compatible with Linux. Those vendors will have to add Linux support, or likely be ignored.

I saw a talk by the devs of Godot a while ago, who are being sponsored by some major players in the industry. They said that there is a clear push among those folks for Vulkan to be the future.

Don't really care about stadia as long as it doesn't delay the game release ;)
--
as for the bw - i guess it depends a lot of frame rate - but I think not so many people get that sort of bw on a 24/7 reliable basis. I wonder if they will use error correct or similar techniques to deal with packet loss. I have a 150 Mbp/s link but rarely get over 100Mbps under controlled tests - and very low latency. I guess it also depends on how close you are to a data center - as latency as low as 20ms can have a significant impact on performance (rtt is around 100-120 ms coast to coast (usa) - rtt won't matter as much if they use udp and a bit of error correction on the stream data).

Vulkan was helped because Valve thought than Microsoft wanted and had the means to kill the Steam market with an aggressive Windows Store + Xbox around 2014.
They needed something as good than DirectX. It's also the time they started to push on Linux with SteamOS.
MS was still a Ballmer company so they fucked up big time the XBox launch with an ashamed message about it not being a real Game console but something you put in your living room to gather some dust and Valve being an autistic company fucked up too their communication. They both got it wrong.

Stadia is probably a biggest danger in 4 or 5 years than Epic Store. It is still a PC actor and Epic has maybe not the endurance since it depends on external investors.

But Stadia is still a Google thing for most of the operators: How do you do chest boxes, micro transactions without paying a tax to Google? Most of the big companies like Bethesda, EA etc.. have already left Steam because of this. Microsoft is really cool with everyone now so no need for them to leave that ground to go on something Google will control totally. They have seen first hand what Google, FB etc.. do.

Also no need to write anything for Linux when you can virtualize everything easily at no cost, no training, and no bother about drivers and other crappy stuff. It's what Amazon already do, they run their own in house developed Linux and you run whatever you want on top of that.

Unsurprising.

Vid products or games are more or less compatible with stuff like Stadia.

UgoIgo vid products are easy meat.

Stuff like RW3 or CP2077 come second. Streaming works reliably well for movies. It is a small jump from there to be able to stream reliably CP2077.

Dream on.

I'm sure the way that major publishers will deal with the problem of a Google "tax" will be to simply implement their own equivalent of Stadia. I'd bet heavily on us seeing an EA version, Ubisoft, Epic, etc.

But, in terms of what I find interesting, I don't think that matters - they are all highly likely to use Linux/Vulkan to power their solution, unless they want to pay Microsoft for a licence on every node they run. And the upside of that is the increased development and uptake of the Linux/Vulkan ecosystem. That may not filter down to more desktop Linux releases, but it helps in terms of pushing the tech forwards.

The worry is that it eventually becomes irrelevant for desktop gamers, as games become released only on streaming services.

The worry is that it eventually becomes irrelevant for desktop gamers, as games become released only on streaming services.
Did browser cowclickers kill actual videogames? No, right?

Or in another reality, did rent-a-car kill car ownership? Why it didn't? Easy answer, no company has enough of cars to rent to everyone. Same goes here. Stadia cannot have 347895678967896387365378658 GTX 3080 paired with Threadripper of 4th generation CPU to make sure unoptimized garbage runs flawlessly for all it's customers.
Additionally, you won't modify rent-a-car. Nor you'll be able to mod/unofficiallypatch Stadia's Skyrim.

Stadia is bad news for phones and phonegames. For desktop PC, it's an irrelevant platform.
Currently, ofc, as eventually diamondbased CPUs will appear, but I don't think I'll live long enough to see it happening.

I have 1TB asymmetric connection, pretty sure I'll be fine. Living in Europe is cool.

Bloody hell. Some days it's painful around here.

I don't care too much about a stadia release- as long as games continue to be released for PC (non streamed). Many parts of the world have shitty internet (including mine - although I nominally have 100 Mbps fibre…) and I hate the idea of having no control over those aspects. At least I control my PC hardware and can choose exactly what I want in terms of capability.

Back
Top Bottom