PoE2 E3 2018 Video Interviews

Pillars of Eternity II

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian was at E3 despite not showing off anything new, but did a few interviews.

Must be very proud indeed. If we measure Deadfire success on much it's talked about here on the Watch I'm giving Obsidian ... like 2 more weeks before shutting it's doors.

Also, like the first DLC should be out in like less than a month, right? And they are not ready to talk about? Really?

Not to mention I expected at least some Caynarski news, but it might not have been up to Obsidian in the end, seems like T2 did skip the entire expo for some reason.

Must be very proud indeed. If we measure Deadfire success on much it's talked about here on the Watch I'm giving Obsidian … like 2 more weeks before shutting it's doors.

Well, to be fair, it's an isometric RPG, with complex systems that scare off casual players. Whereas D:OS 2 was everyone's sweetheart for a good month when it released, its systems are vastly more simplistic and easier to pick up.

Face it, if Baldur's Gate were released today, it would probably have the same [lack of] success. Sitting down for a 60-100 hour campaign and building up an entire party of characters with stats/feats/multiclassing is never going to appeal to more than a niche audience in such a fast-paced, short attention span marketplace.

Adam looks 20 years older than he is… Where are you Project Indiana news! :anxious:
The wait continues it seems. Hopefully Gamescom 2018 in August will have news.
Well, to be fair, it's an isometric RPG, with complex systems that scare off casual players. Whereas D:OS 2 was everyone's sweetheart for a good month when it released, its systems are vastly more simplistic and easier to pick up.

Face it, if Baldur's Gate were released today, it would probably have the same [lack of] success. Sitting down for a 60-100 hour campaign and building up an entire party of characters with stats/feats/multiclassing is never going to appeal to more than a niche audience in such a fast-paced, short attention span marketplace.
Yep D:OS 2 was bought by the casual RPG market and POE 2 wasn't. Also like you said if Baldur's Gate was released today it wouldn't sell as good as D:OS 2 either.
Must be very proud indeed. If we measure Deadfire success on much it's talked about here on the Watch I'm giving Obsidian … like 2 more weeks before shutting it's doors.
Nice Codex attitude there but that's nothing new is it?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I thought PoE2 has extremely easy combat so why would that scare casuals off?

I found that a lot of PoE's systems were actually dumbed down in Deadfire. Which along with the full VO and the upcoming console ports feels like an attempt to appeal to the masses.

Nice Codex attitude there but that's nothing new is it?:rolleyes:

Yet the Codex has over 400 pages of Deadfire threads, and here there's less than a 10th of that. Maybe the forums could use a bit of codexian attitude?

It's not like I actively wish for an Obsidian demise. At least not until I hear more about Indiana.

Must be all that 2D. In my view, Obsidian tried very hard to appeal to a more general public with Deadfire and they should have been all over it.

It's not extremely easy, anybody claiming that is either cheesing or a liar. Most gamers wouldn't have the patience to get off the tutorial island on PoTD after the last patch

I found that a lot of PoE's systems were actually dumbed down in Deadfire.

How? They added multiclassing, subclasses, alchemy, overhauled stealth, more skills and abilities, ect. The systems are deeper than the first game, non-debatable.

The next free DLC called Scalawags was released this week.

Link - https://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of...k?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8
Round out your crew and personalize your flagship with the Scalawags Pack DLC. This Free update adds three new recruitable crew members to the taverns of the Deadfire and adds a wide array of ship upgrades to many of the shipwrights throughout the Deadfire Archipleago. Included in this DLC:
  • Three New Crew Members added to the taverns of the Deadfire Archipelago for you to recruit.
  • Five New Ship Upgrades, including sails, cannon, anchors, and more added to shipwrights throughout the game.
  • Savage Personality Setting for your Watcher.
Patch 1.1 was released with this pack also.

Link - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101944-patch-notes-for-1100035/

It's not extremely easy, anybody claiming that is either cheesing or a liar. Most gamers wouldn't have the patience to get off the tutorial island on PoTD after the last patch

How? They added multiclassing, subclasses, alchemy, overhauled stealth, more skills and abilities, ect. The systems are deeper than the first game, non-debatable.

Most gamers don't play PotD.

Your other point is debatable - more things doesn't exactly translate into depth or substance. I also really disliked the whole spells=skills concept of the skill tree. But both points are moot - no game that can autoplay itself should be accused of having any sort of depth.

Are you claiming you can autoplay the game on PotD?

I think he saying that any game that allow you to program the AI of your party members to the smallest behavior is devoid of any depth.

I don't see how that means the game has less depth. It just removes excessive micromanagement, which has always been a problem with RTwP games. Besides, you can't win every fight relying on just the AI. You need to adapt to different encounters.

You admiting the game has only depth if difficulty is ramped up to the hardest mode that 99% won't bother with?

I never had trouble micro managing my party members in Infinity and those had depth that didn't require artificially boosting enemies. If a game requires both maxing the difficulty and level scaling to fix encounter design then there's something rotten at the core to begin with and no amount of patching is going to change that.

It's stupid to complain about a game being too easy when you're not playing on the hardest difficulty. Which by the way, not everyone finds it so easy on lower difficulties. I've already seen people complaining that story mode is too hard for them.

And reversing your argument, the infinity engine games were significantly easier, even though their difficulty was more heavily balanced around RNG.

In the sea of all this back and forth, I would just like to point out that my original comment never referenced "difficulty", but rather complexity and the decreased demographic that brings about.

There will always be a market for difficult yet rather simplistic games - Dark Souls shows that.

A game should not offer depth only on the highest difficulty setting. In any case, Deadfire being too easy would be a huuuge improvement since it basically played itself. While that could have changed in the ongoing patching - I'm sorry, but I'm not touching it until all the dlc's are out and there's some kind of final-ish version out - I still view the whole thing as an unfixable broken mess and with level scaling and upping the difficulty not an improvement, just an extremely lazy design.

A game should not offer depth only on the highest difficulty setting.

I disagree with that premise. Like I said, there are people that find story mode hard. PoTD on low levels can be a brutal experience for even the most veteran players.

And to set the record straight, difficulty ≠ depth. Not when referring to game systems.

In any case, Deadfire being too easy would be a huuuge improvement since it basically played itself.

Which difficulty did you play on, before or after patch 1.1?

As bland and easy the combats were on vanilla Deadfire, what good does a great system do ?

I did play on Normal, no patches, no level scaling. I did not go looking for a particular challenge, but I did not expect the walk in the park it was. PoE1 did throw the occasional curveball, but nothing like this. Probably should have tried Story mode, that's the first one I hear is hard on anybody.

Back
Top Bottom