Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
E

Eye

Thanks to Smasey on Twitter
Which way do you draw an X? Colored line being the first stroke
DxU_jBEX4AonDnj

According to Smasey:
“General consensus is that Americans do 7 & 8 while UK does 5 & 6. Probably how we were taught. Not sure about other countries”

Me: 7!

For a letter "X" I write it the curly way, which is how I was taught, and avoids confusion with the multiplication sign. For the symbol, I do it "7" style.

I'm 8 all the way.

Not in USA and not in UK, so I guess I'm "others".
I was not taught anything, saw the symbol and copied it on paper the way my subconsciousness wanted.

Note also something the poll doesn't ask and is most probably important: I'm righthanded.

Last edited:
For a letter "X" I write it the curly way, which is how I was taught, and avoids confusion with the multiplication sign. For the symbol, I do it "7" style.

Yes, the ‘x’ in words I write first a > and then a <, also in a curly way. :)
So it feels natural to start the symbol on the upper left corner as well..

I'll say 7&8 like Eye said and yes I'm American.

After thinking for a while I always made an X this way.

Don't know why I just do.:thinking:

I use 7 all the time.

Looks like Smasey is correct. I'm from the UK and I do it 5 style. I write left-to-right, so the letters are written in the same direction...

The symbol alone I do 6, but in writing in cursive, I finish a script segment with / then start the next segment with \

Thinking logically, I feel 5 and 6 are also the most efficient as you're writing left to right, and they both start left, then a small jump left and finish right, next to whatever letter comes after.

Here's a few options for "other" that I considered:
- I randomly paint single dots until they form an X.
- I fill in black triangles until the space between them is a white X.
- I use a stamp instead of a pen.
- I tell other people to draw my X.
- I do not understand, "X" is just another button on my keyboard…
- I draw her like one of my french girls.

Ok, I'm depleted. In more seriousness: Probably mostly 5 (sometimes with lines connected at the bottom), maybe sometimes a 7 (more straight lines, when X is a single symbol?). And that's with German education.

For me it is an 8

Also 7 or 8, Germany.
I am actually not quite sure how I do it regularily. When I did it conciously I felt not much of a difference with either variant. However I think I do 7, as you end on the bottom right, where you can immediately start with the next letter. And because I don't lift the pen between the two lines, it's becoming a fish. |X

Btw: I never understood why people do the number 5 as they we were tought in school, which is with the line on the top last. I always keep doing a S with the form of a 5. I am a rebel!

Back
Top Bottom