Fallout 3 - Review @ ComputerGames.ro

I had reservations about playing this game, but I bought it and I'm quite enjoying it. It does, however, feel like "Oblivion with guns" to me - just my subjective opinion of course. It has some of the same mood music, the way characters shuffle about and talk in the background - that's all pretty similar. It's very pretty ;-) ... but... Endless mutants... everywhere you go. The quests are fairly standard fare. I've logged quite a few hours now, and I can see my interest starting to wane - as it did with Oblivion. That's not to say it's bad - I enjoyed Oblivion too. But as a dyed in the wool RPG player, with a bias towards turn-based combat and clever game design and dialogue/consequences, I'm not as enthralled as I could have been. I understand the economic realities though - people have to make games that sell. Consider CoC: Dark Corners of the Earth (not an RPG, I know) - with some perseverance I finished - and it was an amazing, although frustrating, experience. the game was, from a story telling and milieu perspective, brilliant as anyone who's played the desktop CoC game or read Lovecraft's books would (probably) agree. But only a few people thought so, and that killed the studio. Ah well.

Haven't you just described the raison d'aitre of all RPG sites/forums?

Oh, touche, sir.

booboo: if you liked CoC, have you tried any of the Silent Hill games? You might enjoy those, though the SH games are relatively... well, more fun and the people who made them haven't gone out of business. The controls can be somewhat frustrating (especially on the PC) and so can the combat, but it's really quite an experience.

booboo: if you liked CoC, have you tried any of the Silent Hill games? You might enjoy those, though the SH games are relatively... well, more fun and the people who made them haven't gone out of business. The controls can be somewhat frustrating (especially on the PC) and so can the combat, but it's really quite an experience.

Hm, the closest I came to Silent Hill was the first 5 min of the DVD ;-) but if it's bargain bin (which it must be by now) I'll have a poke around and give it a whirl.
I have really high hopes for Irontower's Age of Decadence and Cyclopean - but I guess they are still a long way away, especially the latter.

The only SH games ported to PC are 2, 3 and 4. Out of them, I'd put SH2 as the best, and SH4 as... not so great. SH2 is all about psychological terror and the game messing with your head, hard and repeatedly: it doesn't have any "BOO GOTCHA" moments common to so many survival horror games. Rather, it uses ambiance and atmosphere, and you'll never look at radio static the same way again. It's probably also worth noting that SH2 stands perfectly alone. You don't need to know much about SH mythos or the first game's story or whatever.

SH3 is pretty good and a direct continuation of SH1, but though the first game's story is summarized for you, it's not quite the same. Relies a lot more on gore, but still has its share of disturbing imagery.

Back
Top Bottom