Gothic 3 Gothic 3 - System requirements & recommendations

AthlonXP or Athlon64? (okay, good)

Red. That´s not enough for good performance. You´re out.

That´s a rather slow card, as indicated by the LE. Should be okay though.
Don´t use the word "performance" if your PC belongs to the red category. ;)

Conclusion: Buy more RAM.

I don't think the LE card is able to handle Gothic 3. Full 6600 has very hard time, 6600GT is better.

So I would say - buy new GPU and add at least 512 MB of RAM or give it up (unless you don't care about graphics in which case it will work for you with all candy turned off).

take a look at my sig. I run the game at medium with some settings tweaked even higher such as the shader up to 3.0. the game runs great, very playable.

RAM:
512 MB
1 GB
1.5 GB
recommended: 2 GB. reportedly 3 GB still makes a difference though.

Even though XP supports up to 4Gb, the virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file.
So if you go over 2GB, the performance won't really change unless you know how to pick your system.

Just in case anyone's in a similar position:

I'm playing on a laptop - AMD 64 +3200 1G RAM and Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB RAM.

The game runs pretty well considering. Didn't like the default settings - too many graphical pop-ups in the distance and no vegetation.

I've changed the textures to low, and dropped the resolution, turned off all the graphics enhancers but extended the view distance to full. Can see well into the distance which is great. Game is very responsive but has occasion stops when loading areas. Graphics are fine - looks good. The worst thing is reading the font on inventory pages - they could have chosen an easier font to read.

Takes a full 6 minutes to start the game from desktop, excluding opening videos/logos (so, time to go make a coffee :) ) and about 30 seconds to reload a save game.

Haven't encountered any bugs yet - enjoying the game.

Last edited:
Even though XP supports up to 4Gb, the virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file.
So if you go over 2GB, the performance won't really change unless you know how to pick your system.

The LargeAdressAware (LAA) Bit must be set for the .exe file and .dlls, too.

I made a hack for Gothic 3 over at WoG:
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=2668283&#post2668283

Unzip LAA_(Version2).zip to your Gothic 3 Folder and click on LAA_all_ON.cmd.

With LAA_all_OFF.cmd everything will be changed back to original.

Alternative: you can use NicoDE's tool (LAAHack) for Gothic 3 and other games:
http://www.bendlins.de/nico/gothic/misc/

For Win32 systems the switches /3GB /USERVA=2800 must be added to the boot.ini
- for Win64 no boot.ini changes are needed.

To manipulate boot.ini you can use this tool -> Boot.ini C.U.:
http://www.dx21.com/SOFTWARE/Dx21/ViewItem.ASP?NTI=2&SI=2&OID=14

Last edited:
it will be like this:

Intel core 2 Duo at 2,4 or something like this with 4mb cache, FSB 1066.
2GB ram DDR2
and i think im gonna have for motherboard MSI P965 Neo2

:)

edit: any idea if nForce 650 chipset is better than Intel P965 chipset?

i'm thinking of going for MSI P6N Sli Platinum instead.

Last edited:
I shouldn't have to change colour scheme just to read information in a stickied thread :p Besides, I love the white scheme :D A simple change to orange would let everyone read it :)
I agree. It's stupid to have a pinned thread that is unreadable in the default scheme. If the moderator/ forum admins don't want to edit the thread in question, then they should un-pin the moronic thing.

Those Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb cards are a pretty good deal. I was kind of pissed off when those came out because I had just paid $400 for a Radeon X1950XTX 512mb a few weeks earlier. The 8800GTS 320 is about equal(even faster in some games) for $100 less.

the specs as can be seen in my sig allows me to play on 'High' settings.. i normally use Autohotkey script to terminate all other processes before launching Gothic3. there is some stuttering usually when i'm entering cities/towns but that goes away after a while..

the specs as can be seen in my sig allows me to play on 'High' settings.. i normally use Autohotkey script to terminate all other processes before launching Gothic3. there is some stuttering usually when i'm entering cities/towns but that goes away after a while..

How do you use Autohotkey to terminate other processes? Isn't that just a key mapping program? At least that's what I use it for.

yes, it's key-mapping program and more.. basically i listed all the running process and added them to the 'kill' list. while doing that, i also added auto-launching of OUSU, lock the Win key and mapped some of the keys to certain movements..

check out this page, it showcases some of AHK's ability..
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html

Cool, I didn't know It could be used for all of those things. I've been using it to remap keys for certain games, like the original System Shock for example.

yes, it's very useful.. i have mapped 'x' key to click on the "Take All' button that you find when clicking on NPCs & monsters. also, the ScrollLock key moves the hero forward without having to press 'w'. just a few examples..

This game runs nearly perfect with c2d @3.6ghz, 4 gigs of cas 4 ddr2 800, p35 mb and a gtx280. Vista 64 has no problems executing the game, but I occasionally get memory dump errors still. No uguru errors though.

This game runs nearly perfect with c2d @3.6ghz, 4 gigs of cas 4 ddr2 800, p35 mb and a gtx280. Vista 64 has no problems executing the game, but I occasionally get memory dump errors still. No uguru errors though.

The very latest from JoWood forums and the community patch group says that Vista 64 and the memory leakage are an ongoing problem. Neither JoWood or Pyranah Bites are dealing with it. I hope the meory dumps don't cause too much havoc for your game play.

Last edited:
This came up a couple of times.

If you feel the performance is not as good as it should realistically be, especially on Vista, check if you are hit by the Gothic 3 font issue. Fixing it can give a massive boost.

Buy more memory to afford bigger leakage. ;) I have 6 gigs for vista64.

I can't even fulfill the red ones. :( I'm in a desperate need for a new PC! Get your fingers crossed for me so I can afford a new one soon, I'm dying to play the 3'rd part of my love of life Gothic! :D

Back
Top Bottom