The Thief

zahratustra

SasqWatch
Game has been out for a while now. Reviews are mixed. Could those who have played it offer their opinions about this game?

- Unoptimized on PC
- Endless and utterly annoying mobrespawns
- A few awsome designed main story missions, at least a dozen of mediocre "subquests"
———————————————————-
= Just a bit above average game

So? If you were to rate it joxer, what would it be?

Sorry joxer! Missed that post.

OK read your last review (I have read the earlier ones). I know that you don't remember much about the original games but do you think that the hate might be there because of DA2 syndrome? This game might not be a disaster but the earlier ones were better?

Last edited:
No worries, it's understandable - that thread there is huge.
But it does contain a different mini or quasireviews on many games so it's a good read when you're searching for an input on some game.

I do usually read this thread for the exact reasons you have mentioned. But, God knows why, I have missed last part of your Thief review :bigcry:

I haven't played the new Thief yet, but I've been playing Thief Gold on and off over the last few weeks.

It's still an incredible experience even after all these years. The controls are a little clunky, but the atmosphere is still fantastic, and the level design is far better than what we've been getting in most modern games imo.

Truly dire. Pre-ordered this on the brand strength of Eidos (DE:HR) even though was half was expecting it to be dumbed down and nothing like the originals (which I only played a little bit way back) based on forums.

In short - there is no motivation to go on. The story is ME3 -level nonsensical, minus decentish Bioware companions. There are no multiple ways to beat a level - it's pretty much intestine linear. You never know which door you can interact with because they all look the same, so you spend ages looking at shades of black/grey/brown textures to see if there's some hidden entrance.

Each time you loot you get a little animation (yes, every time), which is cool in the tutoral, and just a tiresome time-sink as you progress. AI is broken and the game is buggy as hell.

This is a AAA gaming low, I suggest watching Yahtzee's review of it on theescapist to get a wittier rote call of the games many, many failings.

Unless you never played the original thiefs, or DE:HR or Dishonored and can get the key on a steam sale plus go in with very, very low expectations… then consider it. I'd gift you my copy but unfortunately Steam doesn't swing that way.

Played them all Gaxkang. And it's just as I thought: if I want to play a decent stealth game, I will re-play Dishonored.

I think it plays kinda like Thief 3 but that they've gone too cinematic. The AI is very reminiscent of Thief 3 and Dishonored. You know; the patrolling guys that can't see you even though you're 5 ft away in dim lighting and if you alert them they might get buddies but they will give up after a minute of searching if you hide. They are pretty lethal though.

It makes an attempt at an open world setting but it is just boring as can be. Disorienting too because of how everything looks similar. It is just annoying.

Back
Top Bottom