What games are you playing now?

Now playing TW3 on my new PC (thanks to those that helped me in defining the specs, especially Kordanor).

I had played TW3 on the PS4 up to a certain point, and now am kind of grinding through to get back to that stage. I cannot help but compare Horizon Zero Dawn (which I just finished, including the Frozen Wilds DLC, on the PS4 ) with TW3. They essentially have similar game play mechanics, so that going from one game to the other is a very short learning curve.

I would say that HZD did a much better job of implementing the game-play mechanics, more intuitive and polished. On the other hand, while I really enjoyed HZD, the "world" is far more bland in the lack of memorable characters and in the quality/depth of the story compared to TW3. Other than the main character Aloy, no one sticks out. Meanwhile, TW3 is again drawing me back into the story, like reading an engrossing book, such that I'm already dreading having to make that choice between Triss and Yennefer :) That is about where I had left off last time on the PS4, in Skellige ("The Last Wish" quest). It's amazing how TW3 can get one so emotionally involved.

Wish we could combine the combat/game play mechanics of HZD with the story/RGP elements/"world' of TW3. After the combat of HZD, the combat mechanics of TW3 just plain suck.

Still playing Elex and having a good time. Feeling a bit overpowered as a Cleric, though.

The "Black Hole" spell from the amplifier is pretty ridiculous - and I'm very far from being maxed out in anything at level 15. I've yet to encounter an enemy I couldn't take out with relative ease with that thing. Groups are trivial because of the suction effect.

Not sure I'll ever really need a ranged weapon, which is sort of a turn-off as I prefer that sort of combat to this spell thingy.

The size of the world and the rich exploration keep impressing me. They really nailed it. It's what they tried to do with Gothic 3 - but even better.

Love the diversity of the factions - and there seems to be a huge amount of replayability. Tons of ways to approach quests, too.

Also, it's a pretty cool feeling going from Edan and traditional fantasy to the science fiction stuff of Albs and Clerics. It almost feels like several games in one - and there's also a ton of weaponry.

Definitely one of the best PB games, if not THE best.

That said, there's something off about the atmosphere. Not sure if it's because of the strange combination of elements - or because the world is so big they couldn't quite make locations stand out in a visual sense. The vistas are nice, sure, but I don't feel as immersed as I usually do in PB games.

I am not sure what to play.

I played a bit of Divine Divinity, but I just can't get into the game. It feels like I should enjoy it, and I have gotten further than ever before, but it just feels not fun to play to me.

I don't know why this is the case, but I do not think I should force myself to play.

I have played a few games of Thea again, which were fun and I also almost completed Hand of Fate, but then found the last level to burdensome.

So I am thinking of what to play next. I have several games I still need to play and some I had played partly through but never completed but would need to restart.

This may not be the right thread, but I don't think it's wroth creating a new one for this.

Here's the list of games in my backlog and to continue or try out.

Any suggestions ?

- Deus Ex: HR - I played it for 10 hours or so, but then go sidetracked with another game and never went back. I'd probably want to restart this one

- Expeditions: Viking - I played this one for about 15 hours, but then got burned by too many crashes + unbalanced gameplay. So I stopped waiting for patches. The game is now on 1.7.3, so looks stable for a restart. I would try playing as a raider and allying with picts I think if that's possible if I do play this.

- Dungeon of the Endless - I played this for an hour on holiday and it seemed like fun, but forgot all about it.

- Endless Legend - I played this for a few hours. Not sure why I stopped anymore. Although I didn't enjoy the battles I think

- ICY: Frostbute Edition - I played the original, which I thought had a cool concept, but lacked execution, so probably will want to try this out at some point, but I have not seen any reviews on it the updated version

- Legends of Eisenwald - I played this for about twenty hours and then got tired of the gameplay, but I thought to try again and finish it

- The Witcher I - I have a saved game of this, but never enjoyed the combat. Story isn't bad, and I was told the Witcher 2's combat is better, so I would want to finish it if I ever plan to play The Witcher 2 or even 3.

- Hard West - I played the first chapter, but it then crashed on the second one and I never really got back into it after they patched it.

- Xenonauts - I never played it. Seems like I would need to watch a mini let's play or tutorial to understand how this one works.

- Planescape: Torment - I only own the original from GOG, not the EE.

- Consortium - I backed this originally, but never played it.

- Arcanum - I tried playing once a long time ago and kept dying to some orc blocking my path...

@Pladio; I suggest starting with Consortium, it's not a very long game, you should finish it. Then DX:HR or Expeditions (although I don't know the current state of Expeditions).

If you don't like The Witcher 1 combat, you will probably never finish the game, it's pretty long and the last chapter is the most combat heavy. It's also not required for The Witcher 2, outside like one cameo appearances the rest of your decisions are ignored. The Witcher 2 to The Witcher 3 save import has more impact.

Reached level 26 in Elex and I'm close to being maxed out in most of the important things and I found a legendary plasma rifle that's pretty powerful. Lots of little things left to learn - but they won't really make much of a difference in terms of combat prowess.

Combat has been trivial for a while - and since there's not much progression left, it's starting to drag a little.

I've only just entered chapter 2 - and I fear I won't last all the way until the end.

I tend to get bored when I no longer have much to look forward to - and the story/world isn't quite interesting enough to carry everything for this long.

Unless I missed something. I haven't even reached the 30 hour mark yet, so I'm a little surprised how long some of you guys have played it.

How quickly can I finish if I rush it?

- The Witcher I - I have a saved game of this, but never enjoyed the combat. Story isn't bad, and I was told the Witcher 2's combat is better, so I would want to finish it if I ever plan to play The Witcher 2 or even 3.

I think you read my thoughts! :) I found TW1 combat a little… weird? Tiresome? A pain in the… ? I stopped playing after Geralt arrives in a small village or something, right after the castle where we begin the game was invaded. The combat is like what, we must click AT THE RIGHT TIME, when the sword flashes in order to the blows connect effectively? Man, that's tiresome….

I pretty much liked the story, but I must say I started the game twice before coming to that village (it has been some months since I last touched the game, I just can't recall the village's name, please forgive my precarious mind). IMHO TW1 combat has a large potential to ruin my experience with the game, if it already didn't. :(

I really liked the game, I had the original CD-ROM version and I finished it. Great story and also a great game, if you can stand today the Infinity engine of yore (I don't know how the engine aged because it has been maybe 10 years since I last played an Infinity game). Nevertheless, I can fully recommend it :)

Playing a bit of London 2038 (HGL fan mod) - which is still surprisingly fun after ~10 years.

Also playing some Division - which I adore in many ways, but it's better played in cooperative mode.

Considering going back to FO4 after Elex got me hungry for more open world stuff.

I am not sure what to play.

I played a bit of Divine Divinity, but I just can't get into the game. It feels like I should enjoy it, and I have gotten further than ever before, but it just feels not fun to play to me.

I don't know why this is the case, but I do not think I should force myself to play.

I have played a few games of Thea again, which were fun and I also almost completed Hand of Fate, but then found the last level to burdensome.

So I am thinking of what to play next. I have several games I still need to play and some I had played partly through but never completed but would need to restart.

This may not be the right thread, but I don't think it's wroth creating a new one for this.

Here's the list of games in my backlog and to continue or try out.

Any suggestions ?

- Deus Ex: HR - I played it for 10 hours or so, but then go sidetracked with another game and never went back. I'd probably want to restart this one

- Expeditions: Viking - I played this one for about 15 hours, but then got burned by too many crashes + unbalanced gameplay. So I stopped waiting for patches. The game is now on 1.7.3, so looks stable for a restart. I would try playing as a raider and allying with picts I think if that's possible if I do play this.

- Dungeon of the Endless - I played this for an hour on holiday and it seemed like fun, but forgot all about it.

- Endless Legend - I played this for a few hours. Not sure why I stopped anymore. Although I didn't enjoy the battles I think

- ICY: Frostbute Edition - I played the original, which I thought had a cool concept, but lacked execution, so probably will want to try this out at some point, but I have not seen any reviews on it the updated version

- Legends of Eisenwald - I played this for about twenty hours and then got tired of the gameplay, but I thought to try again and finish it

- Hard West - I played the first chapter, but it then crashed on the second one and I never really got back into it after they patched it.

- Xenonauts - I never played it. Seems like I would need to watch a mini let's play or tutorial to understand how this one works.

- Consortium - I backed this originally, but never played it.

- Arcanum - I tried playing once a long time ago and kept dying to some orc blocking my path…

Well, it depends on what you're in the mood for.

The best games on that list would be Deus Ex HR and Endless Legend, in my opinion.

They're also very different - so should be able to match different moods.

Have you played the first two Deus Ex games? Otherwise, I would start with them, and the first DE recently had a very significant mod released. GMDX I believe it's called and it's very good indeed.

Xenonauts is just a modern X-Com - with much the same mechanics. I think it's very good for an indie game - but it's too dry and sterile for me. The aesthetic is simply too clean and the game lacks a soul, which X-Com had in spades. Also, it seems to retain a bit too much old-school grind for my tastes.

I never cared much for Torment.

Arcanum is a very good traditional CRPG in an untraditional setting. Not one of my favorites - but definitely a good one. Sort of like Fallout in terms of mechanics.

Consortium is an interesting experiment, but ultimately a piece of shit - if you ask me.

Witcher is worth it for the story alone - if you can stomach the combat and the terrible, terrible fetch-quest design. You're going to be running back and forth a LOT - and be prepared to wait and meditate before you can finish certain quests. Story is great, though.

Didn't really play any of the others.

I found witcher 1 to be very good but at first i hated it (and the combat). I think around chapter 2 it grew on myself (10 hoursish in the game). Later I appreciated the combat (compared to 2 and 3) and the story is rather decent. It has been a long time since i played so I don't remember the side quests much. Not quite relevant but i found witcher 2 side quests very boring and witcher 3 side quests fantastics - many being mini-adventure/stories.

I was going to play KotOR but it constantly crashes.. so I decided to give Mount & Blade a shot. I'm liking it so far!

Playing mostly The Division, which I consider a work of art. I don't know exactly who did the heart of this game - as a bunch of developers were a part of it, and - on the surface - it doesn't necessarily present itself as a game of heart and soul.

It comes off as just a slick Ubisoft game at first - but there's more to it.

Digging deeper - I'm finding a ridiculous amount of depth and detail - both in visual terms, but also in terms of the many, many audio logs/reports/etc. you can find.

They're all extremely well done - and while the setting is limited to Manhatten, I've never seen a city done with this level of detail and fidelity.

The core gameplay loop is similar to most "looter shooters" - but, again, the systems themselves are very, very well done - and the gunplay is fantastic once you get the hang of it. Comparing it to Destiny, Warframe, Borderlands and others - I think this comes out on top in a big way due to how well it's executed.

The amount of stuff you can customize on your weaponry and gear is quite staggering - and I love how everything is visible and that you can actually see and feel the mods on your weapons, instead of just being a bunch of numeric upgrades.

It also features the coolest, most informative and attractive interface I think I've ever seen - even if it's highly confusing at first. Very customizable as well.

As I mentioned, the visuals are utterly gorgeous - but so is the sound and especially the music. The combat music is adrenaline pumping in just the right "Tom Clancy" style :)

I completed this in coop near release and remember loving it. But the end-game activities were lacking and I eventually lost interest.

But they've done a ton of work, including a lot of what I originally wanted them to do.

So, while I've seen much of the game - there's something about it that I just can't quite let go of. Would be a much better game in cooperative mode, and I'm really hoping for a sequel.

Even so, I'm having a great time doing a few missions here and there.

I am playing fallout 2. Some of the graphics/animations have actually aged well. Especially the kill animations when people are riddled with bullets etc

Yeah the messy deaths in the first two fallouts were great. Even made me smile when I was blowing holes in allies due to the regular friendly fire mishaps...

Playing mostly The Division, which I consider a work of art. I don't know exactly who did the heart of this game - as a bunch of developers were a part of it, and - on the surface - it doesn't necessarily present itself as a game of heart and soul.

It comes off as just a slick Ubisoft game at first - but there's more to it.

Digging deeper - I'm finding a ridiculous amount of depth and detail - both in visual terms, but also in terms of the many, many audio logs/reports/etc. you can find.

They're all extremely well done - and while the setting is limited to Manhatten, I've never seen a city done with this level of detail and fidelity.

The core gameplay loop is similar to most "looter shooters" - but, again, the systems themselves are very, very well done - and the gunplay is fantastic once you get the hang of it. Comparing it to Destiny, Warframe, Borderlands and others - I think this comes out on top in a big way due to how well it's executed.

You're playing solo? I was under the impression that The Division didn't have much of a single player campaign.

I might have to check it out.

I'm still stuck in survival mode and picked up The Long Dark. It's sucked down most of my holiday hours quite nicely. This game takes place on a large island in northern Canada. Power goes out long term and your plane crashes when its power fails. Your job is to survive as long as possible under harsh weather conditions. Bears and wolves are the enemy and a moose is something to fear. There is a partially complete story mode (first two chapters) that combines dialog to the survival elements. I found it to be really lame, but several folks like it.

The big negative is that this game should be the poster child for Hiking Simulator. You walk for miles and days with nothing else to do but avoid the cold and find the next shelter. It's fun but in a limited way.

Back
Top Bottom