Divinity 2 Got this today.

bloodlover

Sentinel
I just got this baby today from a local shop. I hope it's worth 15$. I've never played the game to be honest until now so I felt bad leaving the box there along with some extra goodies that I'll buy later (Rome Total War <3).

Anyway, returning to the game, I started playing a bit and reached around level 7. I tried playing a pure mage, with focus on magic missle and so far so far so good but I still have some questions about the game. And since it seems that many people here played and enjoyed the game, what place would have been more suited for me to ask? :biggrin:

1. Is there a way to craft my own potions? I didn't see any skill for it or alchemy benches. I really hope it's possible.

2. I didn't find any armors so far. Loot from locked chests seems random and never gives armors or weapons.

3. Is the gear class specific like in many RPG? Should I expect to find robes and mage gear at some point in the game? So far I just have the default items.

4. Is it ok if I only picked xp as reward? I admit being a greedy bastard but in most RPGs I tend to have so much gold that at some point I just don't have anything to spend it on.

Thx for your time. I hope this game is worth the money.

If you got the DKS version, it's definitely worth $15.

1. Can't remember, but I don't think so.

2. Loot is totally random. You can do the save/reload on every chest till you get what you want.

3. If I recall, some gear will have stats that you need to reach before wearing. For instance, you might find robes that require level 8 and 25 intelligence, etc.

4. XP is a good choice. Gold is plentiful, so if there isn't an item that helps your build, choose gold.

Way more xp/gold earned in the early game if you:
Read Richard's mind before collecting goblin hearts :)

> I just got this baby today from a local shop. I hope it's worth 15$

Listen, mate: You don't buy babies in shops.Your parents may have told your that years ago, but that's not really how it's done (I'll omit the details).

And they cost FAR more than 15$. Although at times they don't seem to be worth even that much.

pibbur who has experience with babies and what derives from them, who decided not to look at the rest of the post, and who disregards the actual forum this was posted in.

1. You'll eventually get access to an alchemist in the Battle Tower section come about level 15-20, but before that I never really experimented or had the need to. There's a herbalist skill, so you'd assume so. DeepO or someone else will confirm the actual process.

2. Shop around Broken Valley Village - you'll find most of what you need there. The smith usually has a decent supply. Personally, I've found that there's plenty enough loot in the game even without any skill in lockpick to get by and to cut away the need for this save/reload nonsense.

3. Not really, no. The game is an action rpg and so playing a 'class' as such doesn't really hold the distinction that it would in a classical AD&D game for instance.
Thus, the skills are the main way the game differentiates between class. Most of the items you'll find are level dependent however. My character is a full blown mage, but still gets around in gaudy looking knight armour. Kind of comes with the territory I think…

4. I almost invariably choose experience as the reward; as it makes the most sense. Loot is plentiful anyway.

Yes, the game is worth your money. The humour and music alone is worth it.
And if you like it enough and consider yourself a real fan of RPGs, try playing the original too! ;) I like it even more.

Last edited:
The included add-on is a different game, and IMHO even better than the main game. So if you ever get bored, remember you can skip the rest and generate a character for the add-on.

1. You'll eventually get access to an alchemist in the Battle Tower section come about level 15-20, but before that I never really experimented or had the need to. There's a herbalist skill, so you'd assume so. DeepO or someone else will confirm the actual process.
You provide your alchemist with alchemy formulas and ingredients, he´ll brew you potions. IIRC, just obtaining new formulas doesn´t make them automatically added to the list of potions your alchemist can brew, they get only added (and removed from inventory) once dialogue/brewing is initiated with him, so don´t sell formulas right away.
Btw, there´s also an alchemist right in the starting village in Broken Valley. I think exploration was enough to get access to him, but I´m not completely sure, maybe one had to complete a quest beforehand.

Level 11 atm. This game is really good I have to admit. My magic missle mage is doing very well though the gameplay is strange. I have to constantly jump in order to dodge enemies with ranged attacks. I would have rolled an archer if I knew.

How is the C&C part in this game?

Also, I found a lot of doors that need a key to be opened. I hope I'll figure out how to get pass them.

Anyway, great game.

Oh yes and I have Beyond Divinity at home, though I didn't have a change to play it.

Also, I found a lot of doors that need a key to be opened. I hope I'll figure out how to get pass them.
That's easy: Find the keys. ;)

Oh yes and I have Beyond Divinity at home, though I didn't have a change to play it.
Beyond Divinity doesn't exist. If anybody mentions the good first game he means Divine Divinity.

Rerolled an archer. I have level 10, 8 unspent skillpoints (I just used two in picklock) and 37 unspent stat points :biggrin:

Any advice on stat/skill distribution at least until I reach level 15 and get explosive arrow?

Imo, the archer is the least interesting/fun class. I found archery in DKS to be severely overpowered, even on "hard" difficulty.

As far as early skill distribution goes, I'd definitely ramp Lockpicking up to at least level 4 as soon as you're able, and throw a couple of levels in "Hide in Shadows".

Beyond Divinity doesn't exist. If anybody mentions the good first game he means Divine Divinity.

Beyond Divinity does exist.

It's just not the big, great thing they did.

Level 11 atm. This game is really good I have to admit. My magic missle mage is doing very well though the gameplay is strange. I have to constantly jump in order to dodge enemies with ranged attacks. I would have rolled an archer if I knew.
I have played DKS as a battlemage (sword and board + ranged & defensive magic) there is a neat skill called Rush Attack which I used to deal with ranged enemies but it might not be as good for an archer.

Always examine interiors VERY carefully. Keys to open doors/chests can be hidden in the strangest of places!

Beyond Divinity does exist.

It's just not the big, great thing they did.

It exists like MM9 exists.

pibbur who would run if he saw dteowner near his hotel room.

Ok since loot is random, how come I get the same Rivelon armor from the big chest after the ghost in the chapel?
Could be two reasons:

1- you could have saved your game too close to the chest;
2- random means random and, sometimes, you can get the same item twice (or even three times) in the row but, if it happened more often, it's reason 1 :)

Not all loot is random. For instance, the matching armor set pieces are hand placed. Iirc, the piece he's talking about is part of the "Rivellon Guards Armour" set.

Hm I understand. I rerolled to my mage since indeed archer sux and I missed quests and XP since I ran like a little girl to report the bandits without doing their quests. Level 10 atm and having a blast. A few more questions:

1. I found some instruments in the game (one in the chapel and a piano where the necromancer is) but I can't use them. Any idea why? o_O

2. I found some pieces from different armor sets but none of them ofc are for mages (at least I think they are not). Rivelon is for melee, Wild Dwellers for archer and Defenders of Aleroth for mages?

edit: How does + magic dmg apply? If I do 14dmg with my missle and I get an item +10 magic dmg does it mean i make 24 dmg?

Ok so it seems I do 23-26 weapon magic dmg but the damage listed on my spells is still the same. So the +X magic damage applies only to weapons and the dmg of my spells can only be increased with Destruction skill?

Last edited:
2. As I said in my earlier post, items aren't really for specific classes and the only boundaries between using them are the level requirements. Whilst items will often have ridiculously elaborate (and humourous) titles and may sound like they're a class based item, they're actually usable by any build. I'm playing a mage as well, so I know. ;) Just pick the gear you like the most for your character. I was looking for the Blood Echelon set for instance in the earlier-mid part of my game.

Magic weapon damage refers to melee I would have thought. Raising damage to spells comes with raising the destruction skill as well as the individual spell through levelling up. You'll also find items that raise these even more.

Back
Top Bottom