Gothic 3 - Review @ 1Up

Dhruin

SasqWatch
1Up has posted their review of Gothic 3 and this same review will apparently appear in the March edition of Games for Windows. Written by Matt Peckham (of NWN2 fame) the score is 5/10 and the short text has limited room for real gameplay discussion. Here's the intro:
Every RPG has its hook. Some are practically orbital, trading depth to trace the contours of entire continents. Others might as well be fantasy sports leagues for all their buckets of exotic info. Gothic 3 is the culmination of a third approach that renders midsized environments in painstaking detail while keeping its mechanics simple and unpretentious. I definitely heart the latter, so it's a pity to report that Gothic 3 was released too soon, with too many glitches to warrant a recommendation unless you're supremely patient and own a sturdy desk -- because when Gothic 3 chokes, you will pound it.
Look for the comment about having been patched 9 times already...presumably based on the current version number of 1.09.
More information.

Typical 1Up quality - pure trash.
Matt Peckham must really be one of the worst reviewers out there. If he can´t even be bothered to verify the number of patches, I wonder how much effort he spent on the rest of the game.

Last edited:
Probably about as much as he spent on NWN2!!

while i pretty much agree with the review, anyone who says "I heart..." needs to be shot in the face

while i pretty much agree with the review, anyone who says "I heart..." needs to be shot in the face

lol, i agree - similar to people ((excluding children and Japanese people) who like to type "kawaii!". GROW THE HELL UP! :biggrin:

OT: The review was kinda short. Neither sufficiently informative nor precise. I would rate the review a 4/10.

while i don't say i heart anything, i do like the movie 'i heart huckabees'.

seriously, i think i am starting to miss viking beserker at least his comments were so ridiculous that no one really cared or took him seriously unlike all these posts with people advocating violence and ill will towards others.

'tis the season to watch your neighbors skull bleed i guess...

oh and i thought kawaii was a hawaiian island?

I thought it was a brand of piano and keyboard!! :)

PS- You didn't have to 'clean up' after VB!!!!

so dont advocate violence, just play violent games instead - is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
games are not reality, and you can still try to play games with as much morality as possible. i don't really any fps, war games, or such that is mostly just different methods of killing things.

conversing with real people, most with whom we know nothing about in agressive and unproductive ways, is the 'easy' way to deal with peoples own anger problems and anti-social issues, problems with their lives, etc. etc.

sorry corwin you're right, thanks for that by the way. buy yourself a six-pack for that one.

Figures when i check out the comments i'm mentioned maybe i'll register again just for you curious.

We all got a little Viking_Berserker in us =) Just not the superior looks and greatness.

But really i checked out this site seen alot of reviews for Gothic 3 wich are disgusting i can agree with Gothic 3's rating in a range of 7-8 etc but 5? etc doesn't deserve anything that low.

I blame America.

Maybe his name should be Cockroach_Berserker. Apparently he's that hard to exterminate. :rolleyes:

"I heart" ... "fugly" ... "road to hoe" ... what a poorly written piece - where's Jeff Green to talk about why *this* review is crap?!?!

"Jeff Green"
Cracks me up!
You know what I would like him to do a story on is Weird Al's "Too White and Nerdy" :D

I think that reviewers have been in general too lenient on games that are released with numerous flaws and it is nice to see them finally starting to take that into account. Release-before-ready has been going on FAR too long.

Why does this guy feel a need to demonstrate how much smarter he is than everybody else by writing stuff like "Some are practically orbital, trading depth to trace the contours of entire continents. Others might as well be fantasy sports leagues for all their buckets of exotic info. Gothic 3 is the culmination of a third approach that renders midsized environments in painstaking detail while keeping its mechanics simple and unpretentious." Is all of 1up.com's PC stuff so unprofessional like this? If so, then maybe they should drop PC coverage altogether.

I dunno kaz, but Matt - who I've seen in forums elsewhere and didn't get the impression of him as an idiot - has had a couple of really bad articles in a row here.

I dunno kaz, but Matt - who I've seen in forums elsewhere and didn't get the impression of him as an idiot - has had a couple of really bad articles in a row here.

There seems to be a recent trend of PC game coverage being somewhat half-assed and half-hearted all over the industry right now. Console launches diverting all the resources away, perhaps? Gamespot's PC coverage has pretty much tanked, although their reviews are still okay. I hardly ever hear PC coverage that's not World of Warcraft anymore. Neverwinter Nights 2 has been badly neglected by the gaming media, especially compared to the first one. I listen to the Games For Windows podcast and they spend almost as much time talking about consoles as PC!

Back
Top Bottom