Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption is a classic 2D role-playing adventure for Windows PC, Macintosh, and Linux by award-winning game designers Corey and Lori Cole (Quest for Glory, Castle of Dr. Brain, etc.).

Hero-U combines the rich character relationships, story and puzzles of a classic adventure game with the exploration and excitement of a role-playing game. Bringing all these features together makes Hero-U a completely unique game experience.

• Classic adventure game characters, story, and puzzles
  • All the exploration, skill development, and choices of a classic RPG
  • A rich story that changes based on the way you play
  • Tactical turn-based combat
  • Characters with unique personalities and their own agendas
  • Fun, Funny, and Punny
More information.

I just wish it would get translations.

I'm playing this right now and it is just fantastic. The combat elements are light, as in you can skip much of it, the exploration factor is high, and I think the replay possibilities are potentially the strongest part. I just don't see how you could accomplish everything in just one play.

I reviewed it here a couple of months ago and I agree totally; great, fun game!!

No idea how it sold, as I did the kick starter campaign and didn't touch for quite a bit, allowing for testing and such. I can tell you that it plays very well, though. I believe there are sequels planned for the future.

Does anyone know if this game sold very well ?

Hmm, I have certain reservations on the success of this game (but hope I'm just in my usual "Doomsday Prophet With Some Remarks To Consider" mode).

Been playing this game for a few months, and never finished it.
Never liked it much, but never hated it as well -- I guess, it's just those dreaded "meh" moments, every developer hates to hear about.

I guess, it is because the game is certainly old-fashioned -- but in the wrong way.
There is charm, but mostly in the text (the presentation is painfully generic)
There is interesting gameplay, but buried underneath the boring grind.
There is heart-warming nostalgia, but only for old farts like me (youngsters left totally cold about it)

Times they are-a changin' - as some pop star (Nicki Minaj, I think) once sung bitterly
(yes, the last sentence was SARCASM)

I guess, it is because the game is certainly old-fashioned -- but in the wrong way.
There is charm, but mostly in the text (the presentation is painfully generic)
There is interesting gameplay, but buried underneath the boring grind.
There is heart-warming nostalgia, but only for old farts like me (youngsters left totally cold about it)
My thoughts exactly. The game is very good, but "trailer and youtube gameplay is not CGI spectacle" audiences sadly won't give it a chance. Well, unless it's recognized (nominated) among rpgs or indies of the year - IMO it does deserve nomination.

I'd suggest playing the bloody game for yourselves and not watching someone else attempt to do so. Maybe even chug through a couple of the Quest for Glory games first, and then you'll be more prepared for this one. Out of the thirty two school days I've experienced in the game to date, only two had me wondering what I was supposed to be doing at a particular point.

I'd suggest playing the bloody game for yourselves and not watching someone else attempt to do so.

Totally agree, however, do note that in today's word, the average user buys things when s/he is being told loudly enough to buy it. That's why those many "review sites/blogs/videos", "opinion sites", and those trillion dollar budget marketing campaigns are so popular.

If you are AAA, you buy your customers via bombastic advertising.
If you are indie, you must gather your customers via extreme internet activity.

I'd really like to buy it, but I'm too tired at this moment for English-only games.

I'll never understand why companies don't want to earn money from other countries, so to say.

I'd really like to buy it, but I'm too tired at this moment for English-only games.

I'll never understand why companies don't want to earn money from other countries, so to say.

I don't get that complaint, really. I much prefer to play games in English. I think playing it in my native language would just sound... weird. Then again, usually Dutch is not in the list of languages they localized to, so it's not like I have the option.

Sorry for the off-topic. :)

Because English is the most common non-native language spoken/read in the world and they're an indie developer?

Note: English isn't the most common language by a long shot, just the most common 2nd tongue for nearly everyone. Mandarin Chinese and Spanish are probably the most spoken overall.

I bet a fan translates it eventually though, Alrik.

For those that have yet to play this awesome game, they just did a fourth major patch with lots of updates. I finished playing this a while back, but I'll look forward to some of these changes when I replay this most excellent game!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/375440/announcements/detail/3531286214342689073
We've updated Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption with several "quality of life" improvements along with dozens of game tweaks (mostly audio, along with a "final" fix to the long-troublesome Katie quest chain) to reported issues. Steam will automatically give you the new update when you play the game.

The biggest changes are in the Settings page - now also available from the main menu. A much-requested feature is the ability to speed up character (including monsters and other non-player characters) in the game. If you like a faster pace, this feature is for you. Character animation might look a bit strange at higher speeds.

Also added to settings are options for switching between full screen and windowed mode and some other options for the adventurous.

"Done" items in the Journal To Do list now show the most recently completed ones on top so you don't have to page to the end to see your progress.

Deleting game saves now works better.

The Boss Wraith battle is now slightly more challenging with the Wraith's ability to summon monsters to help him. The well-prepared player will still get through it just fine, but it's no longer a pushover.

Speaking of bosses, we've decided to make the Rogue to Redemption Bestiary a free download! This is a beautiful art book PDF with all of the Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption monsters and a few strategy tips. For now, click on "View the quick reference" on our store page to download it. We will make it available as Free DLC soon.

Also coming soon to https://www.hero-u.com will be a free interactive Hint and Strategy Guide. We're making it a web page so that we can update it easily with new and improved hints.
If this game had top graphics it wouldn't surprise me to see it in everyone's top 3 RPGs of 2018. But sadly... :(

Back
Top Bottom