Might and Magic VI pre-release beta video

Personally I never heard of any M&M public available beta.

Which makes me wonder if any of NWC's former employees happen to have one. There's a situation like this in Thief, a game made about the same time as MM6. There are some old beta clips lying around and one person managed to obtain the source code for Thief 1 + 2 (even System Shock 2) and send it to Eidos.

I'm hoping that because MM6 has long since been released, someone may have a beta and is willing to release it. Though this is the ideal situation and chances are, the betas might be erased (though interestingly, I read on a Thief forum that any software that is designed in a game studio does get stored somewhere on the internet or at least some kind of network, though I'll have to see if I can dig up that post so you can understand it better).

Thanks Blinn and Dark Savant. Might and magic is one of my all time favorites. I will do some digging too. I recently found a site(thru here) where I found a bunch of stuff that was taken out of Ultima 9,maps mostly, but they are actually still in the game code and can be viewed. I always wish that Magic and Magic 9 wasn't the ending for that series and that someone might ressurect it.

I'm hoping that because MM6 has long since been released, someone may have a beta and is willing to release it. Though this is the ideal situation and chances are, the betas might be erased (though interestingly, I read on a Thief forum that any software that is designed in a game studio does get stored somewhere on the internet or at least some kind of network, though I'll have to see if I can dig up that post so you can understand it better).
It depends. Look at Ultima 8 add-on "The Lost Vale" for example. Game that was completed by Origin and EA just decided not to release it at that time. They lost the disc and all files. All they manage to dig out after many years were a couple of box art screenshots. And there is also the problem of copyrights. Might&Magic franchise is owned by Ubisoft and I doubt JVC or any other member of NWC team would risk to publish any material without franchise owner approval.

A surviving Lost Vale box `?) was auctioned at Ebay. I think it was posted here somewhere.

Thanks for posting all that info and pics...brings back lots of old memories. The M&M games have got to be the only games that have stayed on my PC for a decade. Particularly with the modding community making new releases. If only they would release source code for the games. I even liked M&M 9...it needed some polishing though. Once again thanks and post more information that was not readily available! It might make me start the game up again and try to do a Solo run.

I managed to speak with Tim Lang, one of the level designers for MM6. He told me that he remembers when that video was released. I also learned that the portraits in the beta video were actually photos of former NWC employees. :)

He also designed a few of the beta levels IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom