RoA: Blade of Destiny HD - Patch 1.32 Released

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The developers of Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny HD have a new forum post with news that a new patch is now available. Here are some of the changes, and updates.

Patch 1.32, 21st of December 2013

• Completely reworked user interface
    • clear Character Screen
    • extended Tooltips
    • intuitive handling
    • Questbook improved (Mark completed Quests, Sorting)
    • Travelmap and Battlescreen with Camera control icons
  • New Non Player Characters
    • From walkers in the streets to the healer
    • individual Faces
    • Authentic “Thorwalsh”
    • Guards with traditional Skraja
  • Completely new Music (Original score can be optionally activated)
  • Massive Performance Improvements
  • Significant Optical Improvement on all game Scenes (Towns, Dungeons, Battles)
  • Linux Version
  • Beginner mode (choose on new Game)
  • Optional Automatic Levelups
  • Complete Data-Modding-Ability, even with multiple independent Modules
  • Rebalancing Trader Buy Pricing
  • Trader locks you out when trying to haggle too hard
  • Taverns lock you out when being caught stealing / cheating
  • Levelup adapted (Vitality/AE distribution, grand meditation for magicians)
  • Combat and Autocombat Bugfixes
  • AI-Wizards use more different Spells
  • Autocombat also uses Magic
  • Reinforcements appear at the exits
  • Waterskins are refilled in Taverns (with the first beer) and Hostels (when eating)
  • Ingame-Console is saved to a textfile for later reference
  • 40 new Steam Achievements (including Stats)
  • Steam Cloud Integration (Online-Backup of Savegames)
  • Potion effects don’t stack any more
  • New Spell “Break Domination” (to counter Horriphobus, Evil Eye)
  • English Map
  • Corrected Town Names
  • Many texting issues fixed
  • Problem with Unity Crash when having Corrupted Font Files fixed
  • "Campfire Chitchat" with valuable tips for the Heroes depending on their current situation (thanks to Fujak Loganson for the implementation and writing!)
Thanks for sending in the link Avantenor.
smiley-wink.gif

More information.

Awesome. It starts to be a playable game :)
After finishing The Age of Decadence with 2 arch types i am gonna have a look at this game.

"Starts" is the key word here. I will give it another 2 or 3 months.

"Starts" is the key word here. I will give it another 2 or 3 months.

Same here though it is tempting to buy it before then at the sale price of $9.99 on Steam. I've seen people talking about the next big patch being 1.4, so I'll probably wait until then.

Pretty impressive how they working on it to make up for the poor release (about which enuf has been said already). Haven't seen many other developers so committed to making up for such mistakes and it could turn out to be a good game, certainly many of Steam comments are slowly changing their tune. I'm going to be waiting until they're done though, however long that takes. Guessing 2-3 months, at least, like Zahra.

It's definitely getting better. At least it's in a state that it looks playable. It is a major overhaul of the user interface, new character models and more interior backgrounds for the text windows instead of plain doors. If you've played the game before, you can see the difference in this (german) Let's Play of v1.32: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBV4J2ETr0g Watch out how the skill screen was modified and how you can see what attributes are necessary for the different skills, similar like in Drakensang.

Crafty has plans to release some kind of retail Gold Edition early next year (January/February). 1.32 was the last patch before that gold release. So the next update will be the Gold Edition release, also coming for the initial release.

It's a personal opinion boo, but I don't think that they are there yet :)

It's definitely getting better. At least it's in a state that it looks playable.
Playable? Yes. Enjoyable? Not quite yet.

Last edited:
I hope they do finally get it right. Originally IIRC the plan was to remake all three titles and I am interested in playing the remade ones. I love the originals but unfortunately old titles like these don't always hold up well even when I try and keep in mind the ages of the games.

Playable? Yes. Enjoyable? Not quite yet.

Can you describe what you find lacking? I (personally) was pleasantly surprised with the changes and think the game has become a lot more enjoyable because of it. In my opinion, the game reflects the atmosphere and gameplay of the original far better than before.

The game is playable and enjoyable, and I played it 2 patches ago. If you're waiting for perfection or some dreamed of ideal state for the game, you'll be waiting forever. Now is a great time to play it and yeah, it is a fun game.

I find it rather difficult to believe that the still don't allow us to remap the inputs. I find the game almost unplayable right now because the input scheme is so awkward. I want to be able to remap the A and D keys to left and right strafe rather than turning, and I want to be able to us the mouse for full mouselook without holding the button. Without those changes, I really can't play the game. It's like going back and trying to play an FPS from the 90's. And yes, I realize that this is an old-school RPG, but it is played largely in first-person, so I expect the control scheme to be designed to be played like one.

The game is playable and enjoyable, and I played it 2 patches ago. If you're waiting for perfection or some dreamed of ideal state for the game, you'll be waiting forever. Now is a great time to play it and yeah, it is a fun game.

Well said,
yeah I have been waiting and waiting — partly to avoid disappointment and partially being cheap. But man after what I spent on Christmas Presents, lattes at Starbucks yesterday — surely I can drop $10 on some guys who have faithfully done the updates— unlike a lot of these early releases that seem to fund their dev based on completion "hope". They really have been good about it. :thumbsup:

…surely I can drop $10 on some guys who have faithfully done the updates— unlike a lot of these early releases that seem to fund their dev based on completion "hope". They really have been good about it. :thumbsup:
Yeah, right! Some other assholes released a totally fucked up game and now those guys have to work their butts off to fix it. God bless their little busy hearts.

Yeah, right! Some other assholes released a totally fucked up game and now those guys have to work their butts off to fix it. God bless their little busy hearts.

Yeah- I was pissed also (glad I did not buy it then-- I still am Mad at Derek Smart for his debacle) But I just sprung-- and downloading now.

Not everyone can be total scumbags-- guess I am taking a chance. Spent $12 on lunch yesterday and it sucked too.

Let you know how my first impression is.

I wouldn't defend their first release, but I can acknowledge goodwill and real effort to correct a mistake. If somebody is willing to learn, I'm willing to give him another chance.

I find it rather difficult to believe that the still don't allow us to remap the inputs. I find the game almost unplayable right now because the input scheme is so awkward. I want to be able to remap the A and D keys to left and right strafe rather than turning </snip>

You can re-define keys when the game starts: a dialogue menu appears in which you can set your resolution etc. There's a tab called 'input'. Just press that and map away. Also, to switch between strafing and turning, just press F8.

Judging from that youtube LP, there have been massive improvements from earlier versions. Also, NPCs actually look like human beings, instead of the moronic-looking big-handed zombies they were before.

Looks like it may actually be time to finally try this out.

Back
Top Bottom