What games are you playing now?

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 2 - and I have to be honest: It's a bit of a struggle.

Believe me, I'm trying very hard to be lenient and accept all the numerous quirks and bugs.

I absolutely HATE the fetch quest design - and constant running back and forth. It's worse than recent Bioware games, because you have to find the right rigid path everywhere (heaven forbid you take a shortcut) - and, what's worse, you have to make sure you approach the NPCs during the right time of day, or you'll have to find a place to rest first.

Beyond that, the dialogues are very inconsistent - and while some of them are cool and make sense, the NPCs frequently spout incoherent nonsense out of the blue.

Hardly engaging stuff, at least not from where I'm sitting.

This wouldn't be such a big deal, if the quests didn't revolve around dialogue so much. For instance, the entire "detective story" is made out to be something I'm solving because I'm clever - and I'm doing the right thing. But, instead, I'm trying hard to make sense of endless lines of obscure and opaque references to characters - and I'm simply doing my best to follow what other people tell me to do.

I feel like a weak detective's assistant instead of the lead investigator. I hope that's not the intention?

In that way, I'm just going from NPC to NPC, based on what it finally says in the journal. I'd estimate I understand the reasons roughly a third of the time. Rest of the time I'm just doing what I'm told. Needless to say, that's not my style.

The combat system is still utter crap, and the way you constantly have to remember to switch to the right style - because it "forgets" your default style is really annoying.

I'm forcing myself to play it half the time, but there's still some cool stuff to be enjoyed every once in a while.

I really like the overall tone and setting, and I'm fond of both magic and potions.

But, boy, they're making it hard sometimes.

I truly hope the next Chapter has less back-and-forth trivial shit.

I guess it's just one of those games that can't really become an "acquired taste" - and where it's down to what you like.

The weird part about it all is that I love The Witcher 2 - even if that game also has some of the same elements in its quest design. But at least it was responsive and didn't block your way around because of a pebble. I also don't recall ever being in doubt as to what I was doing and why.

Please, someone tell me the magic way to enjoy this? Or that it turns around and becomes entirely different?

XCom Enemy Within. Not entirely sure why i bought this (on a sale but..). I didnt really like the original game to begin with. Though i did read that the expansion would be an improvement, so maybe that's why. …and maybe in my mind these games are something different than what they really are, when you actually sit down and play them.

Gameplay is really all about taking the correct route. Not sure i understand what's so fantastic about such simplistic gameplay, its just trail & error / reload (tons of it) and repeat. The completely anonymous characters doesnt help one bit either, i couldnt care less if they die, the only reason why i would care is that i've invested time in them, not because of their totally non-existant personalities.

I really dont understand how this game could have gotten such high scores, same with the old Jagged alliance and xcom (tried both, hated both). Incredibly overrated games with super dull gameplay and basically non existant story and characters.

It's the type of games i really want to like (in my mind it's highly strategic and with tons of options and fun missions that gives you a great "YES! i did it!" feeling afterwards and even characters that you care for) but when i play it i realize its not that type of game at all. It's just super tedious shit that gives me zero satisfaction.

Last edited:
Please, someone tell me the magic way to enjoy this? Or that it turns around and becomes entirely different?

You've kind of summed up why I stopped playing it. I wanted to like it, but eventually I felt like I was forcing myself to carry on and just wasn't having fun.

I really dont understand how this game could have gotten such high scores, same with the old Jagged alliance and xcom (tried both, hated both). Incredibly overrated games with super dull gameplay and basically non existant story and characters IMO.

It's the type of games i really want to like (in my mind it's highly strategic and with tons of options and fun missions that gives you a great "YES! i did it!" feeling afterwards and even characters that you care for) but when i play it i realize its not that type of game at all IMO. It's just super tedious shit IMO that gives me zero satisfaction.

Made some minor corrections. ;)

I had quite a bit of fun with XCOM, but it's obviously not for everyone.

Just redownloaded and installed Gothic 3 (from GOG).

I've said it stuttered on my previous machine with whatnot AMD dunnowhichcore CPU as I got rid of it and nVidia GT560. The microfreezes were obvious when I was rotating the camera somewhere outside of populated areas. But since I played other games, never bothered to try to fix it.

This time I've installed the bloody game on SSD. Till Ubisoft releases the patch that sorts savegame corrupted problem, I'll play G3 a bit, maybe even replay it whole. And of course, write if the stutter is still present.

Made some minor corrections. ;)

I had quite a bit of fun with XCOM, but it's obviously not for everyone.

A review or an opinion from someone is never facts, it's one persons view of something, therefore "IMO" is never needed. It would be very tiring to read long reviews with sentences always ending with IMO.

Just redownloaded and installed Gothic 3 (from GOG).

I've said it stuttered on my previous machine with whatnot AMD dunnowhichcore CPU as I got rid of it and nVidia GT560. The microfreezes were obvious when I was rotating the camera somewhere outside of populated areas. But since I played other games, never bothered to try to fix it.

This time I've installed the bloody game on SSD. Till Ubisoft releases the patch that sorts savegame corrupted problem, I'll play G3 a bit, maybe even replay it whole. And of course, write if the stutter is still present.

I dont think the stutter is from reading from the HDD at all. I never noticed an improvement from installing to SSD.. The C.P did improve it a bit i think, but not fully.

A review or an opinion from someone is never facts, it's one persons view of something, therefore "IMO" is never needed. It would be very tiring to read long reviews with sentences always ending with IMO.

Oh I agree, but it can just be irritating sometimes when it looks like someone is trying to state an objective fact about something that's subjective.

I dont think the stutter is from reading from the HDD at all. I never noticed an improvement from installing to SSD.. The C.P did improve it a bit i think, but not fully.
CP 1.74 is included in GOG version, but okay, I'll apply 1.75. Will check later on GOG forums if anyone mentions stutters.

Ok, looks like I'm giving up on Witcher... Frankly, the game is beyond terrible when it comes to quest design.

I don't remember playing a game for many, many years that was so obtuse about going back and forth, and forcing you to be at the right place at the right time.

That whole "Grandma" thing with Shani just took me over the edge.

What a shame, as I really wanted a savegame to carry over to Witcher 2 - and finally the third game.

There are some good and unique things about TW1, but it will never rank up there with my favourite games. The middle of the game is really dull (imo). I think the fact that the last chapter of the game is so good, and the end of the story so cleverly written really makes people overlook a lot of its flaws.

Ok, looks like I'm giving up on Witcher… Frankly, the game is beyond terrible when it comes to quest design.

I don't remember playing a game for many, many years that was so obtuse about going back and forth, and forcing you to be at the right place at the right time.

What a shame, as I really wanted a savegame to carry over to Witcher 2 - and finally the third game.

What a coincidence. I also gave up on it, and started a new TW2 session. I initially wanted to replay the first one in order to get all the Wild Hunt references, which are a lot more than in TW2. But it's just way too long, and I got a refresher of all the info I needed in some videos on youtube.

So, I started TW2 again, which I'm loving a lot more. Playing on Dark difficulty, and it's hard as heck. But rewarding. I updated to the latest FCR 2.

Ok, looks like I'm giving up on Witcher… Frankly, the game is beyond terrible when it comes to quest design.

If your only concern is a save to import you can download 1 from the nexus. There is surprisingly little carried over though. If you are going to finish the witcher don't follow the link as there are spoilers to what's carried over to TW2.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/180/?tab=2

I may be going this route as I'm not sure I can get through the game after quitting several times in chapter 4.

I LOVED The Witcher 2 DARK MODE! That was my second play through siding with a different faction...just finished it a couple months ago. Then played/finished Gothic 2 GOLD...game was much harder then I remember playing just vanilla Gothic 2.

Now I'm on Gothic 3...reinstalled on SSD to see if it helps the stuttering. Not sure yet because I still get stuttering but it seems a bit milder. Graphics settings seem to not matter much as it stutters the same whether on medium or very high. AMDFX4100/ATI7850 system 8GB ram. Playing with Alternative Balancing on and originally had AI on...got tired of dying so much and seeing the long reloading screen. Turned AI off and now I still see reloading often but not as much. I forgot how difficult these Gothic games were. Still enjoying it though and determined to finish G3 this time around. Quit originally on release due to bugs and very bad lag.

@Sakichop

Thanks! :)

I decided to force through the last bit of Chapter 2 - and I'm having slightly more fun in Chapter 3.

I usually don't force my way through any game, but I'm so excited about Witcher 3 - that I'm giving it my best shot in the name of a "complete" experience.

I really do appreciate some of the things the game has to offer, and I can feel how many of my issues has to do with how I've changed when it comes to games. I'm much, MUCH less willing to jump through rigid hoops because the design is quaint and archaic - but when I do manage to force myself, some of the game is actually pretty cool.

I think Chapter 3 will be the deciding factor - because I hear the last two chapters are quicker and more linear, which is probably what I need from this game.

I hope I can deal with it ;)

W1,

I guess I don't find the quest that tedious, though I try not to get so side tracked with the side quest running back and forth.

If I am able to do them when I am working on some other part of the game I do.

Also I find if you don't take on to many quest at one time you are able to concentrated at the task at hand. Or maybe it is because this play through I am playing on the side of the squirrels and find it more enjoyable this way.

Half way through chapter 4 right now but didn't do a third of the side quest in chapter 3.

I definitely need to play the first two Witcher games again. I honestly don't remember TW1 being that "fetchy" with the quests, but it's been at least 5-6 years now since I've played it. I just remember it being very immersive and having a great soundtrack.

I've never played the Enhanced Edition of TW2. I'm looking to playing the path I didn't choose previously along with all the little tweaks and additions I've heard about. Not to mention I'll finally be able to run it on Ultra settings. :)

I honestly don't remember TW1 being that "fetchy" with the quests

I don't think it was too bad overall but I did get pretty tired of running back and forth through the swamp area and town.

There are some truly great moments but it can drag as well. My opinion and all that.

Back
Top Bottom