D:OS2 First Impressions

Divinity: Original Sin 2
So just killed a certain quest mob towards the end of Act 1 - I was feeling good about myself since it's no cakewalk. I go to loot up my spoils and I run into "Weapon level too high: -20% accuracy."

What a horrible design decision!

I've never actually seen that, so it has to be a very rare occurance. Most of the time you're fighting enemies on your level or one level below.

I killed enemies 2 level higher than me and I never got that "weapon level too high" thingy either.

Neither did I, but it's not about enemy level it's about level of the loot.
However, there was only one time I found equips just one (1) level higher than my party level. Everywhere else the loot was either on my level or lower. No such "you get penalty" message appeared.

I can't even imagine how it's possible to get a huge level difference loot at the end of act 1.

Oh I've seen that a few times. I just keep the item in the bag until I reach their level. Hell I had one weapon that gave me like -50% to accuracy when I got it.

Not sure why getting a higher level weapon you can't use immediately is a problem though. Just save it for later as something to look forward to or sell it for coin.

Seems only weapons that outlevel a character have this accuracy penalty.
Other equipment you get higher level than you don't have any penalty. That's probably the reason me and others never noticed anything - I don't look at levels of my loot just compare stats.
For some reason I frequently loot nonweapon equipment so if some armor was level 20 while I was level 15 I'd still equip it without realizing it's level is higher than mine as it doesn't bring any penalties.

Not sure why getting a higher level weapon you can't use immediately is a problem though. Just save it for later as something to look forward to or sell it for coin.

Maybe because it artificially penalizes a player for pushing ahead in difficult comment??? As stated before, it's horrible game design.
The weapons in question came from Slane, the White Dragon, in Act 1.

I wouldn't see it as being penalized. It is all about training. If someone isn't trained (level) to use a more advanced piece of equipment (higher level) I don't see it at all odd they would not be able to use it to maximum effect.

Just like someone level 5 can't cast a spell at a higher level.

To me it seems like a good design to prevent players from becoming over-powered and unbalancing the game.

:rolleyes: Wolf, you're great at excuses. Training? It's a band-aid to bad design, nothing more. How would a player have reacted if, upon coming upon and slaying Firkraag for the first time in BG, they were greeted with a level penalty on Carsomyr?

I would have looked forward to using it later. Not like there is really much penalty to begin with and from what Joxer said seems maybe it is only for weapons. Guess I am just not an overly negative person is all and don't consider my opinion to be fact. This was a design decision where they were probably balancing something and they felt it was the best solution. I doubt they were trying to screw people over. Some people may be okay with it and some not - just a matter of preference/opinion.

I have played many games where you couldn't use a higher tiered weapon or armor at all until you reached the appropriate level. Sounds like this was a better compromise to let people use higher items to various degrees while trying to keep some balance.

I'm with wgd here.
Calling a weapon higher level than you that has a huge damage boost with pathetic -20% accuracy penalty as bad design is ridiculous.
Such feedback can only lead Larian to introduce level requirement on items which will render high level clothes that don't bring any penalties unusable.

Besides that:
Hothead perk = +10% accuracy
Singlehanded weapon = +point% accuracy per rank
Bless someone = +10% accuracy
A weapon actually worth keeping = +any% of accuracy:
pic.jpg

Oh the weapon on the screenshot sucks, is bad design and you won't be able to sleep because it has -1 movement penalty?
Gimme a break.

Last edited:
All crossbow have -1 movement, that's their "netagive" for dealing more damage.

Yeah, but I want that crossbow for my Ranger!! NOW!!!! :)

So this soundtrack… probably some of the best orchestral music I've ever heard in a video game.

Can't agree.
The new inn arrangement is awsome, but the rest of it is, how to say it, not intrusive enough to make me stop playing the game only to listen to it.

Now that's generally a positive thing as you don't get distracted, but I always want to be distracted by quality music! :D

I found Dimebag Darrell, Radiohead, and the Violent Femmes went exceedingly well with this game. The music kept me interested during most of this slog-fest of a game.

I personally love the music in most Larian games. No idea who's behind it, but D: OS1, Div2 and D: OS2 have some of the best tracks I've heard in a game. I think they're great.

I personally love the music in most Larian games. No idea who's behind it, but D: OS1, Div2 and D: OS2 have some of the best tracks I've heard in a game. I think they're great.

All Larian games soundtrack but D:OS2 were made by Kirill Pokrovsky, he died in 2015. :(

Larian new composer is Borislav Slavov (aka Bobby).

Back
Top Bottom