RPGWatch Feature: Knights of the Chalice Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
An interview with lead developer Pierre Begue about Knights of the Chalice was conducted by our resident forum member screeg, with talk about the past, the game and future plans. Check it all out here.
screeg: KotC offers little (nothing) in the way of hand-holding, and immediately plunges the player head-first into the icy and turbulent waters of challenging, turn-based tactical combat. In my opinion, this is your single greatest departure from recent role-playing games. What led you to take this route?
Pierre: Combat is an essential part of KotC. The game doesn't beat around the bush; if you like a good dose of tactical combat within your RPGs then you will like the game. By hand-holding I suppose you mean battles that you cannot lose. If you can't lose, where's the fun? As a player, I enjoy a game more when I can see that my actions are influencing the outcome. Some of my favourite games are difficult from the very beginning. In Interplay's Bard's Tale, your level-1 party can be wiped out by a group of barbarians only a few steps away from the adventurer's guild. In Dark Sun Shattered Lands, you start the game facing monsters in a gladiatorial arena. Should you try to escape, a large group of enemy guards awaits you.
More information.

Having great fun with this, although I do hope he adds some clerical powers as per the current discussion on his forums. It's amazing how quickly 320x200 goes from "unbearable" to "charming".

I just might :biggrin:
I'm glad you like the game, Dhruin.

Thanks Myrthos for publishing the interview!

You know, I just bought the game because I like supporting indie developers. I really didn't like AD&D combat, and I downloaded the demo and didn't really care for the game at first glance. I figured I'd give the guy the $25 and maybe I'd like his next game.

I created a party of munchkins and was wiping the ground with everything, so I rolled a real party after a few levels and I haven't stopped playing since. I've never played much past half-way with any one group, I keep messing with different kits for my party to see how I like to play best. I've promised myself to actually finish the game with my current party though. The game is really fun once you get into the swing of how battles should play out.

I am enjoying the game so far, have made it up to character level 10 or so. I'm spoiled by the graphics of semi-recent games and find that I can't play this for long stretches of time but I do recommend it as there is plenty of variety which is what Temple of Elemental Evil didn't have for me.

By hand-holding I suppose you mean battles that you cannot lose. If you can't lose, where's the fun?

This is what made the game fun. The battle are tough, but not impossible. The game makes you think about different tactics. Some work out and some get tossed back onto the drawing board. For example: the very first battle in the game where you are attacked by orcs was difficult and I ended up losing a guy twice before I tried a different approach to taking them out. The game actually makes you think instead of just charging into the fray.

This is what made the game fun. The battle are tough, but not impossible. The game makes you think about different tactics. Some work out and some get tossed back onto the drawing board. For example: the very first battle in the game where you are attacked by orcs was difficult and I ended up losing a guy twice before I tried a different approach to taking them out. The game actually makes you think instead of just charging into the fray.

I'm even finding the demo to be a decent challenge, I keep getting wiped out by the wizard in the dungeon ruins.

Am I missing something, or is there nowhere to camp in the demo?

Yeah, very unfortunate. It's definitely a major drawback, but I still find it impressive for a game that was created by a team of five.

Yeah, it seems like a truly great game all things considered.

But to actually manage to succesfully adapt such a complex ruleset and then leave out so many character options is just… sad.

I'm considering buying this, just to support them, but I can't see myself playing until they implement the core rules thoroughly. I'd be too frustrated, frankly.

I'm even finding the demo to be a decent challenge, I keep getting wiped out by the wizard in the dungeon ruins.

The demo is definitely difficult. I didn't play the demo that long. I played it for about 5 minutes before I decided to buy the game. I was hooked from the word go.

I don't really know that much about the demo except what people said they had problems with like the troll and undead area. IIRC you're supposed to do the troll area first and that will net you a sword or mace of disruption to take on the undead with.

As for camping, have you seen any campfires around? They're they only place you can rest. Some find that annoying, but I think it's great. In baldur's Gate I never really took spell conservation seriously for every battle. I knew I could just rest and get the spells back after I used them, but with this game you have to use each spell wisely or you'll suffer later on.

@DA yes there are only 3 classes, but tons of feats. I have 2 knights, 1 cleric and 1 mage (your basic generic party for this game). I am making one knight your generic tank and the other a ranger. Sure he doesn't have the 'label' ranger attached to him, but for all intents and purposes he is a ranger. You know a little 'role playing' within a role playing game doesn't hurt. ;)

I guess I need to try it out :)

If it's good, I'd rather buy 10 copies of this than a single copy of the typical modern AAA game.

Another question... there doesn't seem to be an option to retreat from battle. Are you locked into every fight once you start them?

You're locked in until you or the opponent is dead. You might be able to retreat if you get far enough away, but I've never tried that out.

No retreat.
No surrender.
:evilgrin:

There are two campfires in the demo. Here's a hint: They are not outdoors.

Never played through the demo either. I fought a battle, didn't really like how complicated it seemed, but bought the game anyway. I was pleasantly surprised. You guys have got me interested in trying out the demo again. I'll have to fire it up if I still have it.

Back
Top Bottom