Xbox One

Microsoft has done a pretty much full reversal on the DRM and online check-in requirements:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Reverting to same model for used games as Xbox 360
Does away with online check-in requirement
As with PS4, new console will no longer be region locked
Also doing away with those few new online features that didn't sound worthless on their own such as family/friend sharing of games - even Live! purchases
Downloaded games no longer require an active connection to play unless they require it specifically (such as an MMO)

My guess is the public outcry didn't phase them all that much, but the PS4 outselling them in pre-orders did at least a little bit. The thing I suspect really got them worried enough to scrap this entire thing was the public reaction of publishers. Nearly all of them have denied knowing anything about it in advance, claimed that it was entirely microsoft's idea and that they had no input, and that they had no idea what to say in response to it. Even Ubisoft's CEO was publicly talking about how used games were good for the games industry and effectively that they didn't know what to do with MSFT's DRM on the Xbox One yet.

Whether true or not, that sort of reaction from the publishers is what I think finally made them realize that this new model wasn't going to do them much good and that they might have been a little slow in seeing it as toxic to their message.

Seems we the internet have won again.:celebrate::party2:
Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One has word that Microsoft is pulling a 180 on the online requirement/DRM aspect of their upcoming Xbox One console system that alienated the core gaming community (thanks Giant Bomb and whathifi via Kotaku and nin). Give them credit for spin, as they focus on the "love" in the feedback they got on this, saying: "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world." Here's word, where they also announce they no longer plan on having games region locked:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
  • An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console — there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray
[/FONT]
And people say no one will listen to the minority online.

xbox180mu3.jpg

lol at Xbox 180.

Still, very surprised by this, I thought that after the Windows 8 experience they were too pigheaded to change course. A small amount of credit is given for them doing so, albeit offset by the large negative that they tried to do this in the first place.

Thanks all for the above info and links.

I have to say, I'm really quite surprised. I'm trying to think if I ever remember a time when MS did such a dramatic 180 without having to go through at least some post release exercise in poor sales before possibly changing their tune.

I guess the world-wide bitching and moaning was very real. I'm sure all the not listening they did with Win8 and the MS Office license agreement has a part in this too.

While I think MS is doing the right thing here I do have two things to say. MS, you tried to pull a fast one and luckily gamers aren't as low information as many voters are - but you damaged my fairly positive view of your company.

Secondly, these gripes couldn't have been shockingly new - I know your company pays a lot of money on focus groups who I'm sure have been telling you for a long time these DRM ideas were bad bad bad. Maybe next time you'll for-go the pain and agony of a world-wide negative focus group response and listen to the focus groups you pay for.

That all said, it's possible you have won me back as a customer. I'll be listening carefully. But my purchase is back on the table.

Here is a little comic article to laugh at. There might even be some truth to it also.:lol:
5u2q.jpg

More truth to that than 95% of the whining threads. Hehe, but oh well. The morons won again ;)

More truth to that than 95% of the whining threads. Hehe, but oh well. The morons won again ;)
Morons hardly I hated some of their policy's not the system. :p

It was tame here compared to other console sites. I laugh that a company as big as Microsoft didn't see this happening. So much for data and focus groups.

I can already tell you the world is not ready to go all digital yet. ;) It must be nice living with your head in the clouds if people think so.

Morons hardly I hated some of their policy's not the system. :p

It was tame here compared to other console sites. I laugh that a company as big as Microsoft didn't see this happening. So much for data and focus groups.

I can already tell you the world is not ready to go all digital yet. ;) It must be nice living with your head in the clouds if people think so.

I didn't mean you, specifically - though you might qualify ;)

Microsoft, for all their flaws, are among the few biggies to show real vision sometimes. But we can't have that, can we. We have to see them as 100% evil greedy people. Ok, so they're about money more than anything - but that's not unique is it. What's unique about MS is that they dare to think big on occasion - and not just because they want to line their own pockets.

Oh well.

Nah, there are good things and bad things to going digital - but from my perspective, most of them are good. That's not to say companies won't exploit it to the best of their ability, and I can't predict what will happen.

The only thing I can predict is that it WILL happen - and I'm the sort of person who prefers evolution to happen sooner rather than later, if it's inevitable. It saves precious time.

I would have been interested to see what developers would have come up with that supported cloud technology. RPGs, in particular, could have done a lot of great things with that - but if online isn't mandatory - it will probably be gimmicky more than anything.

Online-only is a very important step that needs to be taken - and it holds SO much potential. It will also promote online capacity - which is something I think everyone should have, no matter what.

I think it's really sad to see it held back for at least another console generation.

So, that's ruined.

As for the whole resale debate - I think that's just stupid. It's the idiot consumer trying to hold on to something minimal - and it's doing more harm than good.

I didn't mean you, specifically - though you might qualify ;).

I'll take that as a compliment thanks Dart.;) Dart no offense but you can take your vision of online gaming only and put it were the sun don't shine.

As I said in my post above though this is how games feel to me lately.
Today? It doesn't feel like I'm buying games to play. It feels like I'm buying Policies. Licensees, terms, agreements, restrictions, downloads, being told when and where and how I can game, instead of choosing it.
I don't see the benefit at all. I'm getting to old for this crap.:shakefist:

Last edited:
I'll take that as a compliment thanks Dart.;) Dart no offense but you can take your vision of online gaming only and put it were the sun don't shine.

That's ok - I'll keep my vision safe ;)

As I said in my post above though this is how games feel to me lately.
I don't see the benefit at all.

No, I know. It takes vision to see such things ;)

No, I know. It takes vision to see such things ;)
I'm sure everyone who had a vision ended up changing the world for good because it's what everyone needs. I think we call that megalomania. I recommend a shrink at once.:petting:

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone who had a vision ended up changing the world for good because it's what everyone needs. I think we call that megalomania. I recommended a shrink at once.:petting:

Fear of the unknown can be considered paranoia when it reaches a certain stage :)

Fear of the unknown can be considered paranoia when it reaches a certain stage :)
No not yet I still don't have a tinfoil hat yet. I just hired a food taster though I swear the wife's trying to kill me with her cooking.:lol:

Well Dart, you can still do all those great things you envision the Xbox One has. You can still be online all the time and still not sell or give your games to others. You can still have the Kinect on during your entire game and still use all the other wonderful features you feel Microsoft has to offer for the Xbox One.

So I am not sure what you are complaining about.

Well Dart, you can still do all those great things you envision the Xbox One has. You can still be online all the time and still not sell or give your games to others. You can still have the Kinect on during your entire game and still use all the other wonderful features you feel Microsoft has to offer for the Xbox One.

So I am not sure what you are complaining about.

You don't seem to understand at all :)

It has nothing to do with what I want, but what I think is best for the future. I don't give two shits about the Xbox One either way. I know it can be a shock when people have an opinion that's not entirely oriented around their personal wants and desires - but it happens.

I might buy it for some exclusives - but my experience with consoles in general is that I play around with them for a few weeks and then I all but forget about them.

Enforcing the online policy means more people will be online - which means the potential of online features like Cloud technology will be used to a much greater extent. It will also help promote online capacity around the world where the console is likely to be sold - which is something I believe is a very good thing. People are being held back without it - and I think that's unfortunate.

It will also help to fight piracy a lot - which means we can finally stop hearing about it as the cause of failure. It will mean one less excuse and potentially more profit in the right hands.

Beyond that - having being online as a standard means a great potential for convenience. It will mean everything can happen with the least amount of fuss - and it will help to enhance social and multiplayer features. Oh, I know a lot of people don't like to play with friends - but there are many who love it.

As for selling games - I think it's a pathetically low price you get for them - and most of the profit ends up with the wrong people anyway. That's just stupid, really.

But hey, whatever floats your boat!

Last edited:
It's not that I do not understand. I just not share your enthusiastic views of the future you envision.

The original policy only required a daily check in, that's not exactly always on -- though it is obviously a step in that direction -- so I doubt the cloud would have presented a much better opportunity than it will now. You're really giving AAA publishers too much credit if you think they would have gotten innovative with it. At best it might add better environmental effects that mean next to nothing and at worst it would be used as a crutch to ship an incomplete game on time while filling in the gaps with the cloud.

Back
Top Bottom