RPGWatch Feature - Expeditions: Viking Interview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Farflame had the opportunity to talk to Jonas Wæver, Creative director of Logic Artists, about Expeditions: Viking.

RPGWatch: Now to Expeditions: Viking... My initial impression was that the game will be about numerous raids into Britain + other isles. But from previews it looks like its mainly about one raid when you explore the whole of Britain. So I wonder - do you do more raids in Britain? And can you raid also other countries like small islands around Britain or seaside of Frisia? (there were wars between Danes and Franks over Frisia at the time)

Jonas: The war with the Frankish Empire is sort of the backdrop of the game. Just like in history, it motivates several of the things the player will be asked to do throughout. But yes, Viking focuses purely on Britannia. It's not so much one raid as a campaign, and you don't actually have to do any raiding. Your goal is to improve the prosperity and power of your clan in Denmark, and the main way you can do that is by acquiring riches or creating alliances. Gaining allies will require taking sides in the simmering war between Northumbria and Pictavia, essentially through mercenary work (which is also something the Vikings were greatly known for). Acquiring wealth can be done in a variety of ways, including raids on in-land churches and monasteries or coastal villages.
More information.

Thanks Farflame for sending in the interview.

So I get to build and name my drakkar*?

Nice. I'm still not sold on this game though, but it does look and sound interesting.

Thanks for the interview.

When's the release date again ?

Steam says Q1 2017.

*that's a French term for viking longships since the middle of the 1800, a terrible deformation of dreki/drekar which is old Scandinavian for dragon.

You are welcome, guys. It was pleasure to "cooperate" with Jonas.

The English campaign is promising with all those tribes, Picts, small kingdoms. I wonder if you could meet big army while traveling (bad luck). :)

that's a French term for viking longships since the middle of the 1800, a terrible deformation of dreki/drekar which is old Scandinavian for dragon.

I think that Drakkar is pretty known in other european countries too (at least in my country).

In the States, I think most people know it as a cologne. :p

Back
Top Bottom