Bard's Tale IV - Released

Did I read some posts in this topic correctly? That even a 4.5GHz multi-core cpu and GTX 1080 Ti gpu can't run this consistently at 60FPS? Shocking.

It seems to depend on who you ask. Some people are making that claim while others say the game runs fine for them with lesser hardware.

I get the impression that it's not well optimized at this point, but I don't think it's quite as bad as some claim.

It runs like shit. No amount of tweaking the settings makes it feel smooth. It doesn't look good enough to run so poorly. After playing MH:W, which looks and runs fantastic, BT4 sort of gives the impression that it's an amateur piece of unoptimised shit.
It runs fine on streamers' rig.
Not getting a Bards Tale vibe at all. I think I prefer the BT1 remaster, so far.
Streamers called it a classical classics.
DD? This?
Nope, Darkest Dungeon, one favourite on this forum. Shows the quality of the product.
Did I read some posts in this topic correctly? That even a 4.5GHz multi-core cpu and GTX 1080 Ti gpu can't run this consistently at 60FPS? Shocking.
60 FPS are not needed for this type of products.

@ChienAboyeur; sorry, could not resist, but I had no idea what you were talking about. Could have been Dragon's Dogma, hell, some people abbreviate Dungeons and Dragons as DD. Darkest Dungeon didn't even come to my mind.

The game looks terribly muddy and low-res in vanilla so I did a little reshade which imho looks way better. Comparison (enlarge to see the difference better)

Vanilla
4DCAB3CC326EC527AC2005E272872F5DE8DF7F0C

ReShade
C8ED660AEAF24B01084FB33E8D6188F1A06C0C46

Combat (left Vanilla, right ReShade)
BA2397476D861814CCA487EE07492AD7D698614E

Let me know if you want to know the settings.

My rig runs it without any glitches, and I've only got a 1050t. Don't know about the FPS, but it feels smooth without any hiccups. Installed on SSD.

Your reshade certainly makes it look crisper Conti.

1080ti installed on an SSD, runs fine, constant 60+ FPS. No bugs or glitches yet. My only gripe is how small the descriptive text of loot is. It's a lot smaller than the other fonts in the game.

1080ti installed on an SSD, runs fine, constant 60+ FPS. No bugs or glitches yet. My only gripe is how small the descriptive text of loot is. It's a lot smaller than the other fonts in the game.

Is that 60fps on your 4K?

There sure is allot of variance for people with this game and while I have seen others claim 1080ti not working properly for them either I know for a fact that it does run fine for 3 people.
Worth to mention that when I had rather old nvidia drivers the game just used 70% gpu and getting latest stable build hit that up to 100% with the obvious fps boost as well. Already had that sorted when I commented on performance here though.

I booted up Witcher 3 again just to make sure nothing was horribly broken on my end and 4k ultra with hairworks on was more stable than Bards at min settings.

With some luck the patch hitting tomorrow could make things better. Hopefully at least the poor souls who can't even start the game get some much needed love.

Is that 60fps on your 4K?

Nah, I traded in the 4k for a 144hz monitor. Turns out the refresh rate of the huge 4K was destroying my eyes with severe eye strain. Playing at 1080p I think, possibly 2k if the res scaling settings in Nvidia Control Panel were working correctly.

I have no problem with a 1070 on 1440p. Don't know fps but haven't seen any issues with graphic perf. There are some funky 'bugs' in combat where actions being displayed on the screen are delayed and happen out of sync.

Edit - Yep, playing at 2K resolution. Looks and plays great. Would have liked to have seen better NPC animation and lip-syncing but everything else, combat and exploration, charming dialogue, animation in combat and such has been great. I'm enjoying it so far.

Edit - But please patch the item description text. It's so tiny!

Nah, I traded in the 4k for a 144hz monitor. Turns out the refresh rate of the huge 4K was destroying my eyes with severe eye strain.
Wh… You're supposed to advertise upscaled slideshow crap!
When did Sony stop paying? ;)

Wh… You're supposed to advertise upscaled slideshow crap!
When did Sony stop paying? ;)

Never had a Sony, but the 2 4Ks I had were straining my eyes bad literally from 15 minutes of gaming. I didn't realize what refresh rate and all that meant at the time. I got a 144hz monitor instead and haven't had an eye issue at all with it. In the process I got educated on real monitors. ;)

I just got hit by the dreaded inventory wipe bug, it's really nasty, especially coupled with the save system which means you may have been playing a few hours without saving or noticing the game nicked all your stuff :bigcry:

Hopefully this is fixed in the upcoming patch, but in the meantime, watch out.

I just got hit by the dreaded inventory wipe bug, it's really nasty, especially coupled with the save system which means you may have been playing a few hours without saving or noticing the game nicked all your stuff :bigcry:

Hopefully this is fixed in the upcoming patch, but in the meantime, watch out.

Random inventory wipes doesn't quite sound like a fun challenge. Hope I never see that one.

Random inventory wipes doesn't quite sound like a fun challenge. Hope I never see that one.

Luckily I had a save close to where I was, but I wasn't able to replicate the wipe bug, so no idea how it's triggered - which means checking the inventory screen every 5 minutes until we're sure it's patched out.

Question - Are skill points refundable at some point? It seems they are very impacting and important and if I screw up I'd like to be able to refund a point or two if possible. Any word on this?

Back
Top Bottom