BioWare - More Glamor than Game?

Yes Alrik, it's true, BG2 did have a load screen claiming you'd be able to continue your adventures in NWN1: OC. However, NWN1 was pushed back quite a few times if I recall correctly, and I suspect the primary focus was changed from SP to the whole toolset thing (as mentioned in the thread already). However, saying that the editor was the goal all along is something I find hard to believe, or we wouldn't have had indications years before release that it was going to be the heir to BG2.

I also enjoyed HotU greatly, and still consider it a great campaign.

I'm probably repeating myself, but someone should represent console gamers before the Watch decides to abandon news reports for them altogether. :p

Honestly, the crew here could never do the FF-style games like folks at RPGamer et al ... and vice versa for those guys with PC games. I like the focus on PC and similar to cRPG style games, and those made by companies we love for their PC history.

You forgot the recent JRPG article that was linked. ;) It may have been a slow news day, but I (and as I recall others) enjoyed that. And yes, you reported on Mass Effect even before a PC release was announced (even though a PC release might have seemed obvious). So that's what I meant. Not that I really expected you to change your policy...

We covered that article for GameBanshee too. It was clearly focused on the common heritage of Western and Japanese RPGs, and as such interesting to fans of both genres.

I find "stick to what you know" might be a bit boring but it works. And Western RPGs and MMORPGs are the forte of RPGWatch/MMORPGWatch and GameBanshee. Other people cover jRPGs fine, there's really little need to expand.

And that's the thing. I don't think RPGWatch (or GB) will ever drop coverage of BioWare or Obsidian titles even if both studios decide to produce exclusively for consoles (pretty much the case now for BW anyway, but at least they still port). But jRPGs are really a different genre. Just because "RPG" is tacked onto it doesn't change the fact that GTA III is closer to Oblivion than FF XII is.

I've said it before and I've said it again, "RPG" is an umbrella term, and just because a game is called an RPG doesn't mean it's similar to other games that are called RPGs...at all.

Yes Alrik, it's true, BG2 did have a load screen claiming you'd be able to continue your adventures in NWN1: OC. However, NWN1 was pushed back quite a few times if I recall correctly, and I suspect the primary focus was changed from SP to the whole toolset thing (as mentioned in the thread already). However, saying that the editor was the goal all along is something I find hard to believe, or we wouldn't have had indications years before release that it was going to be the heir to BG2.

I also enjoyed HotU greatly, and still consider it a great campaign.

Thank you for the information.

There's only one question left for me in this issue: Is it actually possible to import characters from BG2 ?

Because I don't remember having seen such in option on NWN itself ...

It is not possible to import characters form BG 2 to NWN - the Development of NWN was around five years IIRC, in this time the third Edition of D&D was released and Bio decided to go with 3E Rules and start from scratch. The Levellimit of vanilla-NWN was 20, a character that finished TOB is somewhere between Level 30 and 40, it would have been to much effort to balance the game for the old superheros :)

Ah, okay, thanks. :)

I suppose they could have level drained characters to something that work work!

I remember when I imported my character from Ultima IV to Ultima V. I was quite shocked to find my level 8 Avatar was now something like level 3!

Back
Top Bottom