Sekiro - Not Story Driven

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@USGamer Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice will not be story driven according to the Dark Souls creator Hidetaka Miyazaki.

One of the major changes in Sekiro is the use of a fixed protagonist. While games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne allowed you to create your own character and choose a skill class. That freedom also meant that the story was told through atmosphere and world-building. With Sekiro there is only one class, and there is only one pre-made character players can choose from and exploring the world from a fixed perspective makes the storytelling a bit more straightforward, at least initially.

"First of all, we think if you ask is it going to be easy to understand? We would say yes, at least initially. There are some themes and motifs particularly tied to using a fixed protagonist that allows to explore him as a character a lot easier," said Miyazaki during our interview. "It allows for a different way for a storytelling there which was not really possible with our previous games which did not have a fixed protagonist."

[...]
More information.

I understand the argument for having a predetermined character, but what's the excuse for only having one class? How could that possibly be considered an improvement?

Well, the classes were very open in souls, anyway. They were just starting gear and slightly varied ability scores but any class had access to every item and spell.

I'm sure it will be the same sort of thing. Pump points into STR to use great weapons, INT if you want to use more spells and don't forget the stamina and hitpoints!

It does look a lot like Nioh! Maybe From Software played Nioh and loved it, learned some ideas how to improve their combat from playing it, like I did.

Not many comments for sure huge news? I think the title of this post should be something like "Sekiro - From Software with Miyazaki's new multi-platform IP being published by Activision!" because I'm not sure people realise what this is! :D

I'm seriously thinking of ignoring anything with x:y meaningless rubbish title.

Do you really want us to comment on this? You're not gonna like it. :)

Back
Top Bottom