RPGWatch should have a console RPG section.

D

Deleted User

And they should cover news on console RPGs. I don't see why console RPGs are excluded. RPGWatch is a really great RPG news site, and has a great community of PC RPG players on this site, but console gamers are excluded for some reason. It wouldn't hurt to have a little console section for the few console-only RPGs that come out. Doing so would also probably increase your membership and views a little bit, since I know console RPG gamers like myself would love to have a site like this that covers console RPG news and has the same extensive forums and community that this site does. So, make it happen guys :). It can only make your site even better!

I won't pretend to speak for everyone, but no thanks. If you want a site that covers console-exclusive RPGs, check out…oh, I don't know…every other site out there? Part of what makes RPGWatch a great site to visit is that it caters to a niche crowd, one that has lost just about all relevance in the mainstream market. This site - along with Gamebanshee - are about the only RPG news outlets that are PC-centric, and covering console-only games in addition to PC games would take away from that focus. Dhruin and the other admins/staff do a great job of covering multi-platform RPGs and releases that are AAA, small indie projects, or anything in between, but they are almost always Western RPGs or have a PC version. I wouldn't mind seeing a few (very) rare exceptions to the "PC rule" - such as Demon's/Dark Souls (which has been covered here, by the way) and Dragon's Dogma (two console-exclusive RPGs that have some basic similarities to CRPGs/WRPGs) - but other console-exclusive RPGs wouldn't fit in with the theme and tastes of this site at all and would only serve as unnecessary clutter. Console-exclusive RPGs get enough coverage on console-centric sites; RPGWatch doesn't need to become one of them and lose what makes it a unique site.

I think there are enough other sites that support console gamers…

But none that are quite as nice or as specialized as the Watch. If they do exist, I'm not aware of them. Surely there isn't a site that gives you daily news like the Watch does strictly for games in the RPG genre. That's what makes this site unique and great. It's an RPG-only site and not a lot of sites out there are like that. Only problem is it's missing console news.

The whole reason I joined this site is because I thought it was the one-stop place for all RPG news all the time. But now I find that they don't cover console RPGs. I don't see why. It wouldn't take that much extra effort really, and could possibly make the site even better than what it already is. I know I would personally donate to the site if they covered console RPGs. Hell, I am thinking about donating now and I don't even play PC RPGs. That's how good I think this site is. But I think they're really missing out on the console market that they could be tapping into. There's more people like me out there who want that one-stop RPG center, but they play their RPGs on consoles...

It sounds good but I don't see that many console jrpg's coming out in the last couple of years. There mostly on handhelds now. The ones that do come out on the consoles are multi-platform releases with minimal differences.

Fluent, you have to remember a couple of things. First, this is a volunteer site; second most of the staff (if not all) are PC gamers who have little to no interest in console games. We've tried to cover consoles from time to time when we've had staff members who wished to do so, but they rarely lasted very long. We had the same problem trying to cover MMO's which is why we eventually dropped that coverage.
We do cover games which are released for both consoles and PC, but currently that is about the limit. Now if someone wanted to volunteer to gather and post console exclusive news, I'm sure Dhruin and Myrthos would be willing to listen!! :)

@fluent

I thought there was at least one RPG site that almost only had JRPGs on it, and I remember it being console focused. Wasn't it RPGnet? But that seems to have changed since I last looked at it. It now hosts browser and text RPGs and reviews of PnP products. Of course, I could have had an aneurysm… :/

Dte would certainly agree with your last comment!! :D

No, Please don't do that. I joined the watch because to me it's one of the last places where you could get news and chat in a mature way (most of the time) about pc Rpg's. (my favorite hobby)

You can go to pretty much every other site and get more than your fill of console games. Every time a game is released 90% of coverage and reviews are console version. There is no shortage of console info elsewhere.

Really I'd hate to see the teen console crowd here at the watch. Yes, I'm aware that not just teens play consoles but really go read some of the comment sections of some other sites. There flooded with people lobbing profanity laced jabs at each other. So and so is a p**** , Your a f*****.

Really i'd hate to see that at the watch.

Maybe i'm just talking doom and gloom here but I feel they've built something pretty nice here at the watch and am glad I got to become a part of it.

I would hate to see that change.

Call me a PC elitist if you will, but the last thing I want is this great site to be flooded by the console only crowd.

The reason I like this site a lot is because it serves as the perfect centre to keep track of all PC RPG development. Considering the valuable service it provides I became a donor.

somehow I get the feeling that post quality will decrease if we get a console crowd on here.

@ Fluent: You can always start a thread under general rpg. If it takes off the staff can sticky it and if it really takes off they may consider making it a sub section. Open one and see how it flys first and go from there.

I'm a console codgerette myself (discovered the PC as a gaming platform rather late - with Wolf3D), so I have no problems with console games, console gamers or console gaming news. My experience with different crowds is that etiquette depends more on the game (not even the game type - I actually mean the single game) than the platform.
Anyway, I second CM's post. Start a thread and time will tell.

Oh god, the anti-console paranoia is hilarious!
Start a console section and the Watch is over as we know it, funny

As Corwin said, the current staff have their hands full and other then Jaz, no real experience with them for the most part. If someone wants to post up news items and the traffic is high, Myrthos might sub-forum it, provide people keep it active and updated.

Moding a forum is not the same as keepiing it current and useful, and right now there are none of the volunteer staffers able to take on that extra time and effort to do that.

A couple of comments from my perspective.

First, "console" games aren't excluded (at least, not intentionally) - our agreed mandate is western RPGs. It happens that most are on PC and console ones are often jRPGs.

Why western RPGs? Because that's what I like. ;) I don't use a console and have no experience with console-only games. I've never played a jRPG for more than a few hours. That means I don't have any context for their coverage - I don't know the IPs, the developers, the publishers, the players in the industry, the issues, the history...this makes it difficult to know what is interesting and what it all means.

But most importantly, I don't care - they aren't my thing.

I spent several years trying to keep MMO coverage afloat because we covered them but the staff turn over was a problem. I'm not interested in MMOs in the slightest. No, I don't care that SW:ToR (or insert favourite game) is so good and can be played solo - it isn't my thing. I simply don't care to return to a time where I spend hours every day doing something I have no interest in.

Can someone else do it? Sure! If someone has the passion and time, let me know, and we can discuss it. However, I'm not going to keep it going when you get busy.

On the other hand, I like keeping it simple. When I go to GameBanshee (an excellent site!) there's a bunch of MMO coverage I'm not going to read. It annoys me. I like the idea of a site that (almost) purely covers western/PC RPGs without having to skip the other stuff.

I could definitely see a "weekly jRPG roundup" (or similar) that provides some coverage but doesn't overwhelm our core mandate - but I'm not going to do it. If jRPGs are your passion, drop me a line.

100% agreed
console rpgs are "so over" right now
the best rpgs in the last 10 years have all been on consoles

pc rpgs will always have its place but the time for pc's ruling is long over

Yes, the PC is imho dominated by shooters right now.

And they should cover news on console RPGs. I don't see why console RPGs are excluded. RPGWatch is a really great RPG news site, and has a great community of PC RPG players on this site, but console gamers are excluded for some reason. It wouldn't hurt to have a little console section for the few console-only RPGs that come out. Doing so would also probably increase your membership and views a little bit, since I know console RPG gamers like myself would love to have a site like this that covers console RPG news and has the same extensive forums and community that this site does. So, make it happen guys :). It can only make your site even better!

Try RPGFan (NOT RPGamer). They have the most extensive RPG coverage I have yet seen. They include reviews and previews of games on all platforms (including PC) and even RPG soundtrack reviews. Their PC coverage is not just of the big boys like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher, etc. but even the more esoteric indie ones you think you'd only find here, such as Eschalon, and popular classics such as the Infinity Engine games. They cover MMO's (Guild Wars II just recently) and even adventure games (Gemini Rue, Gray Matter are just two examples).

I do not know what their forums are like. I spend little to no time on forums at most sites, but the title of this one caught my eye. Plus, the arrogance and hubris shown by just a small handful of the regular posters here lends itself to a jolly ol' laugh after a tough day.

Back
Top Bottom